Groups and/or Bands with a Nation/State name...

kingzoso

What I mean is any group or band (regardless of the type of Music They Play) that are named after any Town/City/State/Nation/Continent, etc... from anyplace around the Planet Earth.

I will start with an easy one: Asia. Boston... I am sure you get the meaning.

If you want to back up your answer with some interesting tidbits about Your choice, I am open to all replies.

Yes Wes, those are all great bands. Now Strider, what's with the hate on Chicago? Sure, they turned into a shite band but the 1967 - 1977 stuff with guitarist / singer / writer Terry Gath was pretty good. I considered them a jazzier, less Mowtown inspired Blood, Sweat & Tears, another band I really like.

Kansas is also a fantastic band and Steve Morse is one of the most underrated and best guitarist of all time. Saw Morse in 85' opening for Rush and he played part of the bow snippet from D&C simply by using volume swells.

Hi Deb!

They were actually named after a rifle, but they are still place names. :yesnod:

Black Country Communion :-) Nazareth,Orleans...

Edit to add: Buffalo Springfield

took out as :tomloge already mentioned Atlanta Rhythm Section

:peace:

Now Strider, what's with the hate on Chicago? Sure, they turned into a shite band but the 1967 - 1977 stuff with guitarist / singer / writer Terry Gath was pretty good. I considered them a jazzier, less Mowtown inspired Blood, Sweat & Tears, another band I really like.

Kansas is also a fantastic band and Steve Morse is one of the most underrated and best guitarist of all time. Saw Morse in 85' opening for Rush and he played part of the bow snippet from D&C simply by using volume swells.

That's Terry Kath. ;)

I liked the early Chicago, too...my parameters are a bit narrower, from 1968-1973/74. After that, snoozeville as Peter Cetera took over. Terry Kath is on my list of the most underrated guitarists of all-time. Even more than Steve Morse, who at least was written about thousands of times and featured on the cover of Guitar Player magazine.

Steve was great in the Dixie Dregs and while he may still be great, I cannot stand Kansas, so don't care to hear him playing "Dust in the Wind", "Point of No Return", and the rest. To my ears, Kansas was the epitome of the soulless corporate FM rock that plagued the land beginning around 1975-76. Kansas, Foreigner, Boston, Styx, Eagles, Journey..you know the playlist; "Classick Rock Radio" plays them to death every day. That's why I welcomed the punks in 1976-77.

On the topic of these bands, I'm mainly thinking of the one-name bands named after a place, not bands like New York Dolls or UK Subs or Memphis Minnie, where a place is just part of the name as a whole.

Nope...the bands I had in mind when I said "They all suck" were Boston, Kansas, Berlin, post-74 Chicago, and the like. As to the worst of the worst, it's a battle between continents: Europe vs. Asia for the title of Worst Geographically Named Band of All Time.

Archived