Groups and/or Bands with a Nation/State name...

kingzoso

That's Terry Kath. ;)

I liked the early Chicago, too...my parameters are a bit narrower, from 1968-1973/74. After that, snoozeville as Peter Cetera took over. Terry Kath is on my list of the most underrated guitarists of all-time. Even more than Steve Morse, who at least was written about thousands of times and featured on the cover of Guitar Player magazine.

Steve was great in the Dixie Dregs and while he may still be great, I cannot stand Kansas, so don't care to hear him playing "Dust in the Wind", "Point of No Return", and the rest. To my ears, Kansas was the epitome of the soulless corporate FM rock that plagued the land beginning around 1975-76. Kansas, Foreigner, Boston, Styx, Eagles, Journey..you know the playlist; "Classick Rock Radio" plays them to death every day. That's why I welcomed the punks in 1976-77.

On the topic of these bands, I'm mainly thinking of the one-name bands named after a place, not bands like New York Dolls or UK Subs or Memphis Minnie, where a place is just part of the name as a whole.

Nope...the bands I had in mind when I said "They all suck" were Boston, Kansas, Berlin, post-74 Chicago, and the like. As to the worst of the worst, it's a battle between continents: Europe vs. Asia for the title of Worst Geographically Named Band of All Time.

do you even hate this song?

and this?

America

Bay City Rollers.

MC5

Nazareth

i have to pay better attention...

Why cross out "America"? (the Greatest Country that planet Earth has ever known?)

Back to the topic at hand. I like a lot of songs that America made. I am sure you all know what songs I am referring too.

Why cross out "America"? (the Greatest Country that planet Earth has ever known?)

Back to the topic at hand. I like a lot of songs that America made. I am sure you all know what songs I am referring too.

i think he just meant that it had already been posted.

i think he just meant that it had already been posted.

Okay, that is cool with me. I think that there are hundreds of bands/groups/individuals that can be named in this topic. Regardless of what some people may say or think, If anyone chooses to post any name pertaining to the topic, I advise you to participate.

AMERICA:

Edited to add: Even if that means repeats of some of the same bands/groups that have already been mentioned.

I started this topic as a meaning for fun and entertainment.

I will try to get this topic back on track.

Okay, that is cool with me. I think that there are hundreds of bands/groups/individuals that can be named in this topic. Regardless of what some people may say or think, If anyone chooses to post any name pertaining to the topic, I advise you to participate.

AMERICA:

Edited to add: Even if that means repeats of some of the same bands/groups that have already been mentioned.

I started this topic as a meaning for fun and entertainment.

I will try to get this topic back on track.

i did participate :) and i love America - just saw them in concert last year :)

and this?

I do, Can't stand either of them I'm not a fan of that kind of music.... Not my cup of tea at all ... middle of the road garbage.

and this?

Yes and double-yes.

world party

There is no place called nation or state called 'world'. This thread has jumped the shark.

Now, if you had posted something from the band called Earth...

Now, this is the Chicago I love...why they had to go and muck it up by turning into such wussy schlockmeisters is criminal. Of course, Terry Kath's tragic death didn't help. One of my favourite Chicago songs is "Beginnings" from the debut album, "Chicago Transit Authority". Listen to Peter Cetera's great bass line...who knew he would soon be crooning such boring pap later on?

Even better is this live clip of the song from the same 1970 Tanglewood performance that KB posted "25 or 6 to 4" of above. What's fascinating to watch is how guitarist Terry Kath and drummer Danny Seraphine seem to be battling at first over what tempo to play the song in; Terry wants to go faster while Danny is trying to slow it down. Meanwhile, keyboardist/singer Robert Lamm keeps looking over as if to say "what the fuck is going on?" They eventually work it out in stride...and they do all this without ear monitors, click tracks, computers, and all the bullshit that too many modern concerts rely on.

http://youtu.be/ovZQJQ4n9u4

Another great Chicago song that people sleep on(I don't think I have heard it played on the radio since 1972) is "A Hit by Varèse" from "Chicago V".

lol, i kinda knew that was going to be your answer ..... :(

ah well, i love ém ( s'pose i am a bit of a dork .... )

:run:

No worries, Jules...I am a dork about much music myself. For instance, I have a soft spot for Hall & Oates and Abba.

Archived