Top unsolved crimes of all time

LedZeppfan77

If anyone has any to add that I am forgetting by all means do so. I will list the crime and on a scale of 0-10 of my opinion and yours of the ability to ever solve the crime, with 10 being the best chance of solving it and 0 of course meaning no chance.

Jack the Ripper (perhaps the most famous of the oldies in modern history) 0 (the trail is mighty cold)

The Black Dahlia ( many TV shows on this and they believe that its one of two doctors) 3 (DNA is the key)

Jon Bonet Ramsey ( so strange and so botched) 7

The Zodiac murders (he certainly could still be alive? And he could prove its him) 6

The Tylenol Murders (one of the very strange ones, the trail gets colder) 4

The double initial murders (right here in Rochester in the 70s-three young girls) C W M (the double initials of the victims) 6

The Kennedy Assasination ( we know Oswald is guilty. But was there more involved?) If he wanted to be famous he would have simply walked out the front door holding the gun. Oswald did not want to get caught

Jimmy Hoffa (there have to be more than one that know the truth. The question is, are they still alive?) 7( it could take a death bed confession like some of the others)

TWA flight 800 is it a crime? Many believe so. 8

The Mystery of the Marie Celeste this too appears to have been a crime. 2

If you can think of any more, be my guest

A certain black Les Paul guitar stolen in Toronto, 1970.

The disappearance of the Beaumont children, 1966, Australia.

The Bogle - Chandler murders, 1963, Australia.

Thanks for contributing. Magerogue? Richards book? What did they claim? That he was drugged to cause the drowning? we know he drowned. I forget the details. What motive could there have been and was there no autopsy? One wonder how things would have turned out if he had lived. No doubt he and Mick would have split.

So the unsolved cases from other countries that were listed by Reggie I am not quite sure of? Is the Australia one in 66 the Picnic at Hanging Rock? I have the book but was not certain if it is fiction? I thought there might be more input here on this topic. But its the first day. I believe the topic to be fascinating. I have heard so many theories on Jack the Ripper. One has him buried here in Rochester. He is dead for sure whoever he was. the Zodiac? He could be alive and I would bet whoever killed Jon Bonet is certainly out there.

No Rick, Picnic at Hanging Rock was fictional.

The Beaumont children went missing from Glenelg Beach in South Australia on 26th January (Australia Day) and were never seen again.

Dr. Bogle and Mrs. Chandler were murdered under suspicious circumstances.

There are other unsolved mysteries, including the 1965 Wanda Beach murders (in the sand dunes not far from where Captain Cook landed in 1770) and the disappearance of the then Prime Minister, Harold Holt whilst snorkelling off at Portsea, Victoria in 1967.

With the exception of Bogle and Chandler all the others happened on or off beaches?

Thanks for contributing. Magerogue? Richards book? What did they claim? That he was drugged to cause the drowning? we know he drowned. I forget the details. What motive could there have been and was there no autopsy? One wonder how things would have turned out if he had lived. No doubt he and Mick would have split.

So the unsolved cases from other countries that were listed by Reggie I am not quite sure of? Is the Australia one in 66 the Picnic at Hanging Rock? I have the book but was not certain if it is fiction? I thought there might be more input here on this topic. But its the first day. I believe the topic to be fascinating. I have heard so many theories on Jack the Ripper. One has him buried here in Rochester. He is dead for sure whoever he was. the Zodiac? He could be alive and I would bet whoever killed Jon Bonet is certainly out there.

The New Cross fire in London in 1981. Nine people died outright in the blaze, four more died later from their injuries. Witness reports point towards arson but the police never made an arrest.

The Princes in the Tower, i.e. the sons of Edward IV of England and Elizabeth Woodville. They disappeared around 1483 after being held in the Tower of London. Were they murdered and if so, by who? Richard III is the obvious suspect but others had motives for wanting them dead.

The kidnapping and disappearance of Laurence Harding Jr. in 1944. I first learned about this case during an episode of Unsolved Mysteries over 20 years ago. Harding was an African-American infant who was kidnapped in Chicago by two teenage girls. The Chicago police and FBI investigated the kidnapping but the few leads they uncovered didn't pan out.Years later his younger brother hired a private investigator to look for him without any success. Their parents were both dead by this time and he promised his dying mother that would find his brother.

The disappearance of Loy Evitts in 1977. Evitts was a 29 year old legal secretary who disappeared while on her lunch break on February 28, 1977. I don't know if her disappearance made the national news, but it was big news in my hometown. Two weeks later two boys found her purse several miles from the area where she was last seen while looking for their dog. Police suspected foul play and conducted a thorough investigation. They arrested a man later that year but didn't have enough evidence to hold him. Her body was never found. Her family and friends all agree that she wasn't the type to just walk out on her life. Her husband had her declared legally dead 7 years after she disappeared.

two young women were killed in my little home town during the 80's.

they were so badly cut up that you couldn't recognise them.

weapon and murderer have never been found.

the killer would have to have been covered in blood - the house were it happened had blood all through. they did fine a muddy footprint outside ...

As I recall the Hollywood version (Escape From Alcatraz starring Clint Eastwood) suggests they made it to shore, but the scientific verdict is the current carried them out to sea where they drowned.

Half of those involved believe they made it and half believe they drowned. There is no solid proof to support either theory. In reality they did escape. If they drowned, that was their own doing. Using cement to make raft out of a heavy plastic rain jacket would work very well if you did it right. There is no reason to believe they had no chance. My in laws have seen it and believe they could have made it. I suggest they offer clemency publicly. IE, announce across the world that if they reveal themselves they will not have to go back to jail. This has not been done to my knowledge. So if they made it, why would they come forward? They would be in their 80's for sure. The only thing one of the women that follows this like some follow the Titanic is that Clarence Anglin could never keep his mouth shut about anything. But having a big mouth is one thing. But revealing to the police where you are if you are wanted is quite different. There is no reason they should not have made it. They had a life vest and home made life raft. The movie was dramatized for the sake of entertainment.

So offer them immunity. Clemency. Of course they could have made it and then died later? The story of Robert Burns is a good watch on the series "the Big House". He was portrayed in a film in the 1930's called "I am a fugitive from a Georgia chain gang". Oscar nominated and he was granted freedom by the then governor of New Jersey. He in fact escaped twice and the first time he went to Chicago. Betrayed by a woman that blackmailed him into marriage and lied to by Georgia officials, he went back and escaped again. Changed his identity, which would have been easier to do in those days for Frank Morris and the Anglin bros.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_County_Child_Killer

Besides Hoffa, the Oakland County Child Killer Case is probably the most famous case in my area, and still being investigated 30 odd years later. I was about 16-17 at the time, and when Timothy King was killed, all hell broke loose in the media and for anyone who had a child. As mentioned in the link, there were several other murders in the area that were probably done by the same perp.

Timothy King, 11, borrowed 30 cents from his older sister and left his home in Birmingham, skateboard in hand, to buy candy at a drugstore on nearby Maple Road on Wednesday, March 16, 1977, at about 8:30 pm. He left the store by the rear entrance, which opened to a parking lot shared with a supermarket, and vanished.[2] An intensive search was executed that covered the entire Detroit metropolitan area, and there was widespread media coverage, already heavy with coverage on the previous three slayings. In an emotional television appeal, Timothy's father, Barry King, begged the abductor to release his son unharmed. In a letter printed in the Detroit News, Marion King wrote that she hoped Timothy could come home soon so she could serve him his favorite meal, Kentucky Fried Chicken. In the late evening hours of March 22, 1977, two teenagers in a car spotted his body in a shallow ditch alongside Gill Road, about 300 feet south of Eight Mile Road in Livonia, just across the county line in Wayne County. His skateboard was placed next to his body. His clothing had been neatly pressed and washed. He had been suffocated and sexually assaulted with an object. The postmortem showed that Timothy had eaten fried chicken before he was slain.[2]

Unsolved Mysteries did a segment on the Marie Celeste years ago. I've watched it at least twice. The experts they interviewed speculated that the captain, his family and crew abandoned the ship because they feared the cargo was about to explode. It's been many twenty years since I watched this episode, but iirc their theory went something like this:

The Marie Celeste was transporting raw alcohol in oak barrels. Oak is more porous than the shipping containers we use today. Some of the barrels emitted vapors that alarmed the ship's crew. Fearing an explosion, they opened the cargo hold door in order to let the vapors dissipate. The Marie Celeste's captain decided it would be safer for everyone to wait it out in the lifeboat so they launched it, secured it to the main ship with a rope, and got in. The rope snapped and the Marie Celeste sailed away leaving the people in the lifeboat adrift on the high seas. This would explained why a rope with a frayed end was found trailing behind the Marie Celeste when she was discovered adrift. As for the people in the lifeboat; they either drowned when the lifeboat capsized in a storm or died of thirst or exposure. Bottom line: foul play wasn't involved. Instead, the probable culprits were panic and bad decisions on the part of the Marie Celeste's captain.

Did anyone else see this Unsolved Mysteries episode? Did I leave out any important facts?

The Mystery of the Marie Celeste this too appears to have been a crime. 2

As I recall the Hollywood version (Escape From Alcatraz starring Clint Eastwood) suggests they made it to shore, but the scientific verdict is the current carried them out to sea where they drowned.

I've been to Alcatraz a few times and I remember the first thing that caught my attention was the rip tide going out around the edge of the island. It was something to see and my personal opinion is that they were most likely drowned if they went into the water during ebb tide. I'm sure there are records of the tides for that night and I could be wrong. That and the water temp was probably 50* or so, inviting hypothermia. I doubt that white sharks could have gotten them either, though they are found in abundance off the Farralon Islands 20+ miles out from SF. I also have a tape from Alcatraz and former prisoner Whitey Thompson swore that there was no way they could have chipped the concrete like they claimed. My nephew who's done time also says he thinks they drowned because sooner or later they would have screwed up and gotten caught eventually. By the way, I love 'Escape From Alcatraz.' :^)

Though they think they know why it happened, it was an interesting book to read.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/historical/a/molasses_flood.htm

This is the first I've heard of this disaster. The idea that the syrup I use to make hermits could cause a flood of that magnitude is fascinating. I learn something new here at ledzeppelin.com every day.

Archived