Led Zeppelin as persons in the harsh world

Matjaz1

What I wonder is, how well did Led Zeppelin get along in the world and particulary in the business world! Obviously well, but I wonder how they functioned!

Jimmy and particular and others(except for Bonham and even he had home sickness for example) seem very sensitive, shy,

reserved and sort of timid!

I wonder how much they relied on Peter Grant and how well could they stand up for their rights as people and money earners!

I know some top Slovenian musicians and they are certainly used to get angry and yell and be tough if needed!

Were Zeppelin sort of very soft and out of this world geniuses, that they only really functioned on stage and could hardly get anywhere for real without Peter Grant!? They were certainly very intelligent, but how capable were they in negotiations and everything!?

Jimmy was known as a troublemaker in The Yardbirds because he tried to keep a closer eye on the money than they did; consequently he made the best possible choice in hiring Peter Grant as Led Zeppelin's manager. I don't think any of the members of Led Zeppelin are in the same league as Mick Jagger or Gene Simmons when it comes to controlling the business aspects of music, but they held their own far better than most of their contemporaries. Very few famous musicians are formidable businessmen:

Elvis Presley's career was stunted and literally ruined by Col Tom Parker.

Jimi Hendrix was hopeless when it came to business; his affairs were left in a shambles.

Ted Nugent toured the globe in the '70s but entered the '80s flat broke after a management ripoff.

Thanks for the information! I guess even Jimmy had to get a bit more aggressive! I don't think good negotiations would go that well, if he would talk in that quiet, soft voice!

He was very intelligent sure, so he knew who to choose, but I guess if each of Zeppelin wouldn't be able to take care of it, they would be 'too stupid' to be rich rock stars!

Hendrix was in pre Peter Grant time, so were Joplin and Th Doors, but I guess they also weren't that good at it and as good as keeping their life in order like Zeppelin for at least awhile!

I think for such senstive artist it's always good to keep yourself aways from the general public, but also to be able to make a stand for yourself and also it's nice to be healthy and unstigmatised for wahtever reason! But it's getting better and better for some! ;)

I've read that Duff McKagan went back to school to study Economics in order to get a better grasp on the business side of his career - and who can blame him? He also used to have a column in Playboy called Duffonomics.

Archived