Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
NoQuarter33

Bonzo's best bass drum work

Good choice, but yesterday I was listening to the LZ 2 multi tracks, and quite frankly it's mind boggling, when you hear John Henry alone, this boot includes Ramble On, What Is And What Shall Never Be, Heartbreaker, and Whole Lotta Love, just stunning hearing what he is doing, you just can't catch all of it when you hear the songs complete, as a matter of fact each member of the band seperate is just twisted to listen to, especially Jonsey!

Edited by cousinlouie

And I love Moby Dick, Royal Albert Hall 1/9/1970 at about 9:03 he does a crazy back and fourth between Bass Drum and Snare Drum

Achilles Last Stand, Good Times Bad Times or Walter's Walk. The latter is an amazing underrated song (well Robert's vocals really don't fit)

some of the live SIBLYs. The studio version has some incredible bass drum work too. Honorable mention to Thank You from Orlando '71, and live Immigrant Songs from the '71-'72 era.

The bass drum work is great on everything off coda, bonzos montreaux gets me hand drumming the bass and snare drum parts all day.

Immigrant Song, Good Times Bad Times, Walter's Walk, Fool In The Rain, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Bonzo's Montreux, The Wanton Song, Misty Mountain Hop.

And the most obvious ones: Moby Dick & When The Levee Breaks.

Those are the primary ones that come to my mind.

The bass drum work is great on everything off coda, bonzos montreaux gets me hand drumming the bass and snare drum parts all day.

I just love Bonzo's drumming on Wearing and Tearing, his bass drum work is deadly on this.

Whole Lotta Love live when Page does his theremin solo, especially at MSG 1973.

The Song Remains the Same

In My Time of Dying

Out on the Tiles

Royal Orleans, Fool in the Rain, and Hots on for Nowhere are three very underrated tracks. Bonham supposedly hated doing shuffle patterns but on all three of these songs he nails them, and incorporates other patterns as well moving back and forth effortlessly.

Crazy man, crazy.