Ben Affleck had to change "Argo" to use Led Zeppelin song

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

The actor starred in and directed the drama, about the rescue of American diplomats from Iran during the 1970s, and he wanted to use When the Levee Breaks in a scene when one of the U.S. citizens puts a record on during the last night before their escape attempt.

Affleck, a longtime Led Zeppelin fan, admits he was desperate to use the track and vigorously pursued the British rockers to win permission, but they asked him to make a very specific change.

The film showed actor Tate Donovan putting the needle on a record, and Affleck was asked to change the shot to show the needle being placed on the correct spot on the vinyl to correspond to the song's position on 1971 album Led Zeppelin IV.

Affleck agreed and he headed back to the editing suit in order to make the band happy.

He tells the Los Angeles Times, "Zeppelin, to me, is the greatest rock 'n' roll band. People say, 'The Beatles, the Stones.' No. It's Zeppelin... So not only did we have to pay for the song, we had to pay for an effects shot. You have to appreciate their attention to detail, though."

http://www.hollywood.com/news/brief/45528537/ben-affleck-had-to-change-argo-to-use-led-zeppelin-song?page=all

It just goes to show you the lengths people will go to use a Zeppelin song. I'll bet it was Jimmy who wanted that needle drop exactly right.

To me, there is no doubt in my mind about that. Jimmy, pays so much attention to detail regarding his music, regardless of the situation.

Speaking of the film, when I went to see it several people in the audience screamed "Zeppelin" when "Levee" started playing. Of course, I was one of those people screaming. It was such a surprise to hear Zeppelin, but what a great movie to have Zeppelin heard in.

Speaking of the film, when I went to see it several people in the audience screamed "Zeppelin" when "Levee" started playing. Of course, I was one of those people screaming. It was such a surprise to hear Zeppelin, but what a great movie to have Zeppelin heard in.

I did not hear any screaming in the theatre I saw "Argo" in :-), but I did make a snarky comment to my sister about the needle drop. I too like the film quite a bit pottedplant.

The movie has been showing on HBO this week. I thought I was seeing things when I saw the "Levee" scene with the proper needle placement.

Thanks sam, I guess my eyesight and mind are ok (for now).

Wow, I just PVR'd Argo but haven't seen it yet. I appreciate the fact that Zep or "their people" had the artistic integrity to make that request before cashing the sizable cheque. I'm with Ben Affleck - Zeppelin is the greatest rock band....ever.

Even before I knew Ben was a huge Zeppelin fan, I always thought he was a really cool guy. Just by the way I've witnessed him in TV interviews and various news coverage and magazine articles etc. Most of the time you can judge this stuff fairly well. And now, Ben...

:yourock::thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! Now that's negotiation!

Funny, in the Tom Cruise sci-fi, Oblivion, which was released way after Argo, Ramble On is used quite heavily throughout it. BUT when you see Mr Cruise putting the track on (vinyl of course - this is future after all!) the needle falls on the first track on an anonymous LP. Hmm, I like my sci-fi fantasies, but for Ramble On to be the first track on a record, that's impossible!

Archived