bob geldof singer set to go into space

weslgarlic

Tuesday, September 10th 2013 12:05

149239623-1-300x225.jpg

The 61-year-old Irish star is due to go up on a one-hour commercial space flight with the company Space XC.

He will be in a Lynx Mark II shuttle powered by four rocket engines which will take off from a normal runway.

It accelerates to a speed of almost Mach 3 - about 2,200mph - within three minutes, according to the firm's website.

The Boomtown Rats frontman, who said he would be the first Irishman in space, is due to start his training in a flight simulator based in the Netherlands later this year.

In a statement, he said: "Being the 'first Irishman in space' is not only a fantastic honour, but pretty mind-blowing.

"The first rock astronaut space rat!

"Elvis may have left the building, but Bob Geldof will have left the planet! Wild!

"Who would have thought it possible in my lifetime."

The website said of the Lynx Mark II: "At an altitude of nearly 60km (37 miles), the pilot switches off the engines.

"The parabolic flight begins. The crew experiences weightlessness for several minutes.

"The Lynx Mark II reaches apogee (highest point) at 103km (64 miles). The official frontier of space begins at 100km (62 miles).

"A place where the sky is completely black, despite the sunshine. From here, the Earth's curvature is clearly visible from the cockpit."

http://www.planetrock.com/news/entertainment-news/bob-geldof-singer-set-to-go-into-space/

The Boomtown Rats Tour Dates & New Album

rats-new-photo6.jpg

Some 27 years since their final show in Dublin in May ’86, The Boomtown Rats – Bob Geldof on vocals, Pete Briquette on bass, Simon Crowe on drums and Garry Roberts on guitar - will tour the UK in the autumn and release a new album.

There has been an amazing positive reaction from fans and the media alike. Many thanks!

JUNE

Sun 18th - ISLE OF WIGHT FESTIVAL

JULY

Fri 5th - THE MARQUEE, CORK, IRELAND

Sun 7th - SEENLAND FESTIVAL, GERMANY

Sat 20th - CHAGSTOCK FESTIVAL, DEVON, ENGLAND

OCTOBER

Sat 12th - VICAR STREET, DUBLIN, IRELAND

Sun 13th - VICAR STREET, DUBLIN, IRELAND

Fri 18th - BELFAST ULSTER HALL, NORTHERN IRELAND

Tue 22nd - BOURNEMOUTH 02 ACADEMY, ENGLAND

Wed 23rd - CAMBRIDGE CORN EXCHANGE, ENGLAND

Fri 25th - NORWICH UEA THE NICK RAYNS LCR, ENGLAND

Sat 26th - LONDON ROUNDHOUSE, ENGLAND

Mon 28th - BRISTOL 02 ACADEMY, ENGLAND

Tue 29th - NOTTINGHAM ROCK CITY, ENGLAND

Thu 31st - LEEDS 02 ACADEMY, ENGLAND

NOVEMBER

Fri 1st - MANCHESTER ACADEMY, ENGLAND

Sun 3rd - GLASGOW 02 ACADEMY, SCOTLAND

Mon 4th - NEWCASTLE 02 ACADEMY, ENGLAND

Wed 6th - BIRMINGHAM 02 ACADEMY, ENGLAND

Thu 7th - THE DOME, DONCASTER, ENGLAND

Sat 9th - FAT SAM'S DUNDEE, SCOTLAND

Sun 10th - THE BEACH BALLROOM, ABERDEEN, SCOTLAND

http://www.boomtownrats.co.uk/

He is a twat, he looks down on rock bands, and thinks everyone must be political when nothing could be further from the truth, he is Rolling Stone Magazine's idea of rock music...

+1 Agreed. Though I have no idea what Sir Bob G is like as a person, the Boomtown Rats were a shite band. I had the displeasure of seeing them twice. Please let their reunion stay in the UK and not befoul the rest of the planet.

He is a twat, he looks down on rock bands, and thinks everyone must be political when nothing could be further from the truth, he is Rolling Stone Magazine's idea of rock music...

My theory is that most punk rockers were jealous of the successful classic rock bands. They wanted the fame, the money and the perks but, knew they didn't have the musicianship or songwriting chops. So they made a virtue of their lack of ability. Image became more important than musical chops. Punk rock had some merit as an artistic outlet for the young and disenfranchised. Once The Suits got ahold of it, it lost even that. IMHO, it always kind of sucked from a strictly musical standpoint.

+1 Agreed. Though I have no idea what Sir Bob G is like as a person, the Boomtown Rats were a shite band. I had the displeasure of seeing them twice. Please let their reunion stay in the UK and not befoul the rest of the planet.

Yep, i agree... I never saw what the fuss was about with the Boomtown Rats and then later the Michael Hutchence thing was so horribly tragic.

I am not a fan of Sir Bob!

Yep, i agree... I never saw what the fuss was about with the Boomtown Rats and then later the Michael Hutchence thing was so horribly tragic.

I am not a fan of Sir Bob!

Damn! I forgot about that real-life soap opera and Geldorf's role in it. Times does fly.

Damn! I forgot about that real-life soap opera and Geldorf's role in it. Times does fly.

Yes, time does fly, Michael has been dead now over 15 years.

I always felt there was so much more to the story than what was reported.

Bob Geldof was the only adult survivor and ended up with Michael's child despite not being blood related to the child and then didn't allow Michael's family much, if any contact!

Then Michael's parents even died it seemed rather soon after! Unbelievably tragic! :(

Bob Geldof is a evil little imp with the backing of satan himself. How the hell else can anyone explain this dopes life? Starts in a shitty band making shitty music (kinda difficult being the late 70's early 80's music scene), somehow becomes incredibly wealthy and powerful and is deemed the spokesperson for music in the 80's, then does all that drama with Michael Hutchens and family all the wile being some sort of untouchable puppet master.

WTF??? If that does not make one worthy of the title Spawn of Satan, what the hell does? This asshole could shoot Dakota Fanning in the face and desecrate her corpse, at which point the Queen would knight him again before dedicating a wing at Buckingham Palace to him.

I totally forgot about that whole Michael Hutchence weirdness...what a shite Bob was. In retrospect, he was the perfect git to play 'Pink' in that 'orrible "Pink Floyd The Wall" movie. I mean, if you couldn't have the original misanthropic cunt himself, Roger Waters, play 'Pink', Bob Geldof was a good substitute.

Bob Geldof is a evil little imp with the backing of satan himself. How the hell else can anyone explain this dopes life? Starts in a shitty band making shitty music (kinda difficult being the late 70's early 80's music scene), somehow becomes incredibly wealthy and powerful and is deemed the spokesperson for music in the 80's, then does all that drama with Michael Hutchens and family all the wile being some sort of untouchable puppet master.

WTF??? If that does not make one worthy of the title Spawn of Satan, what the hell does? This asshole could shoot Dakota Fanning in the face and desecrate her corpse, at which point the Queen would knight him again before dedicating a wing at Buckingham Palace to him.

Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel. ;) You raise some interesting questions. The most charitable answer is that Geldof has a great head for business and knows how to maximize his earning potential. If even half of what I read about Paula Yates' drug use was true, then Geldof was well within his rights to seek custody of HIS children. I don't think he should have been given custody of Michael Hutchence's daughter if Hutchence's parents were able and willing to provide a stable home for her. But I wasn't there so what do I know?

When I read that Rupert Everett confessed to a six year affair with Paula Yates in one of his books, my first thought was that it wasn't very gentlemanly of him since Yates is no longer around to give her version of events. My second thought was that Everett should watch his back.

• 10 months later...

My theory is that most punk rockers were jealous of the successful classic rock bands. They wanted the fame, the money and the perks but, knew they didn't have the musicianship or songwriting chops. So they made a virtue of their lack of ability. Image became more important than musical chops. Punk rock had some merit as an artistic outlet for the young and disenfranchised. Once The Suits got ahold of it, it lost even that. IMHO, it always kind of sucked from a strictly musical standpoint.

I couldn't agree more.

Also, the "space trip" money should be donated to charity.

• 2 weeks later...

I totally forgot about that whole Michael Hutchence weirdness...what a shite Bob was. In retrospect, he was the perfect git to play 'Pink' in that 'orrible "Pink Floyd The Wall" movie. I mean, if you couldn't have the original misanthropic cunt himself, Roger Waters, play 'Pink', Bob Geldof was a good substitute.

Maybe he'll shave his eyebrows (or his nipples) in space and the hair will clog up the air filters. :sos::smack:

Is there any chance if he could take Bono, Chris Martin, Phil Collins and Sting along with him for the ride, one way ticket should be suffice.

Hey, I like some of Sting and Phil Collins' music! But I'm okay with Bono keeping Geldorf company in space.

Archived