JPJ Equipment

I am quite sure I saw a Fender bass too on some of the vids. Not sure if Precision or Jazzbass though...

He used his 8 string (alembic?) for nobody's fault as well.

when i saw the 8 string i thought oh yes Achilles here we come! alas!

I thought that was a ten string Manson bass? It's hard to tell from youtube. I missed Achilles too.

well, i was at the front. and it could well have been either 8 or 10. i was a bit caught up in it all to tell. i just noticed it wasnt four! lol

JPJ has been primarily using Hugh Manson Basses and various other instruments...all custom made in England. Hugh also does double duty as JPJ's personal tech. I was fortunate enough to spend some time chatting w/ him after a show on the Zooma tour. (got to have a Short chat w/ JPJ as well)

Here's some clear shots of some of the guitars Manson has built for JPJ....since these pics were taken, many other Manson instruments have been added to JPJ's arsenal. http://danvollmer.fotopic.net/c231685.html

Man, look at JPJ manhandle those triple-necks, mandolins, basses, and pedal steels in those cool pics. I saw that JPJ tour in NYC in 1999, he was insane. Jones ain't f'in around, he's the king of low end, versatility, and a total class act. And how cool is his symbol engraved on back of the Manson triple neck. It's funny....sonically, the class and uncluttered cleaness of a single JPJ on keyboards, as opposed to the whole huge egyptian thing (which was cool, once) on unledded, somehow has more impact for me, I guess because JPJ is authentic LZ, Jones really is the coolest. His keyboards and bass pedals have a better vibe, they were so perfect on "Kashmir" and "No Quarter" at O2, powerful yet understated, his whole vibe is such a classy sonic piece meal of sound. If LZ ever do play a few more shows, you know by the 2nd or 3rd show, kinks will get worked out and their live sound mix would be shit-hot and honed each night, like Page/Plant '98, only better now with Jones.

When was the last time he used an Alembic? Mighty fine instruments.

This isn't related to the 02 show, but I couldn't help chiming in when I saw the Alembic question. I know back in the day JPJ had an Alembic 4 string, and something I used to think was an Alembic 8 string. I learned about a year ago after poking around on the Alembic forum that the 8 string was built by a guy named BecVar who used to work at Alembic, then left to make his own instruments. JPJ's 8 string was made by BecVar after he left Alembic. I guess he liked their design ideas because he made some of his instruments just about identical to Alembic.

A great shot of the 8 string can be seen on the Alembic forum site at this address:

http://alembic.com/club/messages/411/3778.html?1194823897

Sorry to go off topic here.... but like I said, I couldn't resist. JPJ is the reason I bought an alembic.

JPJ used two 4 string basses custom made by Hugh Manson -- the necks were made longer to enable JPJ's bass notes to be in a lower key for the "detuning" of some of the songs.

He played a 10 string Manson bass for Nobodys Fault

He also used what looked to be a Fender Precision fretless bass on In My Time

He used a Korg Oasys synth as his main keyboard (seems like this baby can give you any keyboard sound you want AND it enabled JPJ to dial in analog synth ocillator to produce the wobble effect for No Quarter, as on album). He had a small (Korg I think) keyboard attached to the Oasys. This was used for his piano solo on NQ and for the refrain breaks during Kashmir.

No clue what bass amps/cabinets he used.

JPJ uses SWR amps and cabs. His main bass for the gig was a Manson 4 string. It has a 35" scale. 34" in the norm for a 4 string bass with 35" being what most 5 and 6 string basses are. The 10 and 12 string Manson basses are basicly 5 and 6 string basses with octave strings. (Side note, there are 12 string basses that are 4 strings with doubled octave strings. That style was invented by Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick with Hamer Guitars) The P-Bass used for IMTOD was a '70's Fender fretless. It was a Manson 10 or 12 string bass on Nobody's Fault But Mine. Hard to tell from the video but it was a Manson. According to September 1999 Bass Player magazine, the Alembic 8 string was "forced into retirement due to neck warping."

Link to Manson 4 string; http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/JPJ%20galle...%20Bass%201.htm

Link to more of JPJ's Manson basses; http://www.mansonguitars.co.uk/JPJ%20gallery/index.htm

Archived