Jimmy Page tapestries "inspire" New York Fashion Week Collection

Designer Anna Sui claims to have channelled Jimmy's Edward Burne-Jones tapestries in her New York Fashion Week collection :

http://www.styleite.com/runway/anna-sui-spring-201/#0

I know my Burne-Jones and saw JP's tapestries at the Tate : I think there is more than a degree of artistic licence in this claim ! But who's to argue ... I love a bit of Pre-Raph influence in fashion so all is good ..

Nice original post, T and B. Yes, I recall you saying that you attended the exhibition. I wonder if Ms Sui mentioning Jimmy was to help with the publicity for her show. I suppose a Pre-Raphaelite influence would work well with her clothes because she usually does 'floaty' type stuff, doesn't she?

I am sure Jimmy tried to sell one of his tapestries at a London auction house, but it didn't make the reserve price of £1m. The sale was because the tapestry was too long for the walls in his new home.

Designer Anna Sui claims to have channelled Jimmy's Edward Burne-Jones tapestries in her New York Fashion Week collection :

I know my Burne-Jones and saw JP's tapestries at the Tate : I think there is more than a degree of artistic licence in this claim ! But who's to argue ... I love a bit of Pre-Raph influence in fashion so all is good ..

Hi Kenog

Yes, I think great PR going on there !

I also saw the story about the attempted sale of the tapestries - a shame for him that he didn't meet the reserve price but what a bonus for everyone else : there was no missing them because of the way the Tate displayed them, and that exhibition had a massive audience. I think the whole exhibiton has gone to New York now, or will do soon .. hopefully they're showing the same approach in the way they're presenting them.

If I were less cynical I would love to think that those images really did inspire a fashion collection ... umm, but I'm not.

Thanks for adding this here, truth & beauty, for it's connection to Jimmy and I also love the work of The Fool. It has inspsired my own designs. I would have loved to have seen Apple Boutique. Marijke Koger was behind most of the designs and murals. Her work is also being featured in a hippie exhibit at the MFA in Boston that I would love to see before it ends in November. Jimmy is rarely remember for his deep interest, so this is very nice to hear. I would have loved to see the exhibit at the Tate. I have new book on Burne-Jones called The Last Pre-Rahaplite, where Jimmy is mentioned briefly.

• 1 month later...

T&B

Here's an excerpt from an up to date Anna Sui interview where she talks about JPP's tapestry.

"...

Jimmy Page’s Tapestry

I was so excited when I saw the show in London. They hadn’t had a major show of pre-Raphaelite paintings since the ’70s and I thought, “This is incredible.” My favorite piece was (Led Zeppelin guitarist ) Jimmy Page’s tapestry and I thought about how sophisticated these guys were that they had the foresight to collect pre-Raphaelite and Art Nouveau. George Harrison and a lot of the rock stars of that era (collected) so that’s why I mixed the rockstar and art. Even some of the sports jackets I did with Art Nouveau lines; all the cuts were Art Nouveau. It looked like it was a color contrast but if you look closely you saw those lines. It was fun playing with that.."

Source:- http://blog.sfgate.com/chronstyle/2013/11/07/anna-sui-the-designer-talks-her-new-fragrance-her-pre-raphaelite-spring-and-la-nouvelle-boheme/#17596101=0

That's so cool you got to see the Tate exhibit, T & B. I know a few others who were lucky enough to attend before it closed in January...which was really too short a window, in my opinion. It should have been exhibited for a year.

Noticed in the article you linked that they couldn't get two sentences in before misspelling Jimmy's name. Doesn't anybody know how to proofread anymore?

Archived