Robert and Jimmy Interviewed on Sky Arts About Roy Harper

kenog

I've been looking around the site to see if this is covered elsewhere, but can't find anything, so here goes:-

Sky Arts is to air a schedule of music this autumn, including a brand new and exclusive documentary on the legendary folk rock singer Roy Harper, featuring interviews with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and Johnny Marr.

The documentary traces his intriguing career as he records new material. Man and Myth is Harper’s first studio album for thirteen years.Roy Harper: Man and Myth will air Wednesday, 25th September at 9pm on Sky Arts 1 HD.

See more at: http://www.entertainment-focus.com/tv-section/tv-news/roy-harper-documentary-air-sky-arts-1-hd/#sthash.YLFWcewP.dpuf

I've been looking around the site to see if this is covered elsewhere, but can't find anything, so here goes:-

Sky Arts is to air a schedule of music this autumn, including a brand new and exclusive documentary on the legendary folk rock singer Roy Harper, featuring interviews with Jimmy Page, Robert Plant and Johnny Marr.

The documentary traces his intriguing career as he records new material. Man and Myth is Harper’s first studio album for thirteen years.Roy Harper: Man and Myth will air Wednesday, 25th September at 9pm on Sky Arts 1 HD.

See more at: http://www.entertainment-focus.com/tv-section/tv-news/roy-harper-documentary-air-sky-arts-1-hd/#sthash.YLFWcewP.dpuf

Thank you kenog!!! I am very curious what they have to say about Roy's album. :)

Good stuff James, but can you not record the documentary? I know that we are being lead to believe that JPP won't be appearing the RFH, but I'd keep an eye out for who is in the audience at both venues.

Looks like I'l miss the Sky documentary, but I am going to see Roy twice soon: once at Rough Trade East and again at the Royal Festival Hall.

T&B,

Thanks so much for posting this! Like you and James, I don't have Sky either, so I've looked at your clip over and over again. Here's hoping that some LZ or Harper fan records this, and puts it on YouTube.

I recall you going to the Harper 70th birthday gig, where Jimmy performed.

http://skyarts.sky.com/video-roy-harper-man-myth

Sky Arts has tweeted this promo with clips of Jimmy and Robert. Like Cookie, I don't have Sky: wishing I did ( just this once) !

Hi Kenog,

Yes, I will never forget that Roy Harper concert - an unforgettable moment when JP came on ! Also a privilege to see him play in a relatively small venue: my two experiences of watching Zep live were both at some distance from the stage. The rest of the concert had been pretty amazing too - in fact I'm going to Roy's London concert next month, though I don't expect lightning to strike in the same place twice!

I'd also like to add my plea to anyone out there who can post that programme on YouTube. The interviews look great: they're really well lit, in very contrasting ways. Would love to see more !

The interviews look great: they're really well lit, in very contrasting ways. Would love to see more !

What does that mean? Is that some kind of English talk? Or do you mean, they're 'well lit' as in...no that can't be right, lol.

Hi T & B,

I would dearly love for your sake for JPP to make an appearance, but I seem to recall it being put about recently that he won't be on stage. However, like I said to Cookie, you could always look about the audience - you never know who might be there!! I imagine if Jimmy is in London at the time of next month's gig, he would at the very least go backstage to visit his friend. I think Roy lives in Ireland now.

Yes, you are right - the interviews do look good - well lit.

Hi Kenog,

Yes, I will never forget that Roy Harper concert - an unforgettable moment when JP came on ! Also a privilege to see him play in a relatively small venue: my two experiences of watching Zep live were both at some distance from the stage. The rest of the concert had been pretty amazing too - in fact I'm going to Roy's London concert next month, though I don't expect lightning to strike in the same place twice!

I'd also like to add my plea to anyone out there who can post that programme on YouTube. The interviews look great: they're really well lit, in very contrasting ways. Would love to see more !

Hi T & B,

I would dearly love for your sake for JPP to make an appearance, but I seem to recall it being put about recently that he won't be on stage. However, like I said to Cookie, you could always look about the audience - you never know who might be there!! I imagine if Jimmy is in London at the time of next month's gig, he would at the very least go backstage to visit his friend. I think Roy lives in Ireland now.

Yes, you are right - the interviews do look good - well lit.

Correct. He lives in Cork.

• 2 weeks later...

Cookie0024 has kindly put up the transcript of Jimmy and Robert's comments from the Roy Harper SkyArts programme on his Twitter 'LedZepNews' account. I am copying it over here for the purposes of this thread. Thanks Cookie.

RP: I really warmed to him straight away because I knew there was a real rascal in there. A trickster.

JP: How do I sum up Roy? Well he's certainly one of the most interesting people I ever met in my life.

RP: His themes were challenging, they challenged him, himself. They also pointed a slight index finger to the ridiculousness of our conditions.

JP: At that point I was concentrating more on what was going on in the British folk movement and there was far more exploration going on in the guitar, as far as I could hear it with my ears. So consequently I heard this and thought "That's really good", well, you know, his approach to how he's playing is not quite what everyone else is doing.

RP: He's probably the right-winger for William Blake, playing for Man City, sadly.

RP: By the time he got to Stormcock, I mean, they really were onto something very, very British and very beautiful and so dramatic.

JP: Every song on there is really superb. It stands up on its own.

JP: He was speaking for a lot of people, you know, when he made his music and his observations, his intimacy. And the depth of what he had going on.

JP: I thought it would be fun to call it 'Hats Off To Harper' and everyone else went along with that because everyone else had a mutual respect for Roy. And should I have been asked about it at the time, I would have said because this is a vocal and a guitar piece, acoustic guitar, and that - just have a listen to what Roy can do with the vocal and the acoustic guitar.

RP: He became quite a part of my life and my family's life. He used to come stay with us, steal the housekeeping money and roll a lot of very, very big cigarettes and hold court at a very long refectory table at night when everybody was, well, had lost the gift of speech.

JP: He called me up and said "Do you want to come and play some guitar on this, on this thing I've got, Lord's Prayer?" And, well, the take went on and I started to listen and thought "Oh thanks Roy, you've got another epic for me."

RP: He's a storyteller, he's a weaver of, err, he pulls together great phrases. And he spends a long time with that pen.

JP: Roy is quite a magnetic character, yeah, he's a raconteur and people just wanna hear him tell his stories and listen and, you know, and enjoy.

JP: That's what's so good about Roy, is that he's such a strong character and you can recognise Roy's music by his voice and his whole style, so why would you want him to do anything else? You wouldn't wanna stick him on playing with Toots and the Maytals or something, would you? Or The Wailers? No, no. Let's just hear Roy wailing, and that's all we want.

RP: You get a remarkable character who, in the middle of complaining that life is whatever it is, manages to turn something into something very, very funny or that such a sense of irony. I love him.

Archived