Tour rehearsals thread

Sue Dounim

A thread for discussing anything relating to the practice sessions Led Zeppelin would play before tours/gigs. Stuff like existing recordings, what was/might've been played, interesting stories, ecquipment, etc, can and should be discussed here. I'll get the ball rolling, does anyone know if the tape of the 1980/04/XX tour rehearsal is complete, or the possibility of any alternate, more complete tapes of this rehearsal surfacing. Also curious about anything (ANYTHING!) relating to the 1977 tour rehearsals.

As far as I can recall, we have: Two soundchecks from 1973 (Southampton 01.22, and sometime during the American tour); the Clearwell Castle rehearsals from 1978; and some tracks recorded at the Rainbow Theatre in 1980.

I know that the 1973 American soundcheck is incomplete -- it features cuts, added to circulating copies of the tape -- and I'd wager that the rest are also incomplete: The Southampton soundcheck only features four covers, and one could imagine that they'd have at least cursorily run through a few of their own numbers; the Clearwell tape is interesting, since it focuses on two (then) new compositions; the 1980 tape is almost certainly missing other songs they would have rehearsed, although it's interesting that, out of the four songs included, three of them are the most difficult that were performed that year.

There's the persistent notion that Zeppelin were never really keen on rehearsals -- and then having done the occasional rehearsal, the band has made excuses (legitimate or not, who knows) about not doing others: Jimmy claims that the band's instruments were shipped to the States to coincide with the beginning of the 1977 tour in February, when Plant's laryngitis postponed its beginning for about a month; Dave Lewis quotes that Jimmy "didn't play a guitar for a month," and that he "was terrified at the prospect of the first few shows."

Does anyone know at what concert they played the Wonton Song? Did they ever play it live? I know the song came late, but it seems they didn't really want to play it live. Jimmy played it with someone, I can't remember who, and it was great. I always loved the song.

They did it a few times in 1975, along with When The Levee Breaks. The show from Chicago in 1975 is a good example, but the quality of the recording isn't the best.

I can't understand why they didn't do those numbers in later tours, 1977, 1980...

Does anyone know at what concert they played the Wonton Song? Did they ever play it live? I know the song came late, but it seems they didn't really want to play it live. Jimmy played it with someone, I can't remember who, and it was great. I always loved the song.

Led Zeppelin only performed "The Wanton Song" at the early dates of the 1975 Tour. Search January 20-22 '75 Chicago on the internet for a clip. It seems to have disappeared from the set shortly after Chicago. Definitely gone by the time they hit Madison Square Garden.

Jimmy Page played "The Wanton Song" during the 1995-96 and 1998 Page & Plant tours and with the Black Crowes in 1999-2000.

I think they played the Wanton Song very early in their '75 North American tour, I think I saw a video of them playing it in Brussels.

Edited by ZeppMan93

Well, since it's just practice, and not necessarily meant for mass consumption, it's somewhat beyond judgement.

I can imagine such a thing, should it exist, would sound like the "You Shook Me"-tease in "In My Time of Dying." Hence, ultimately unsatisfactory.

I wish SO HARD a tape of,the 77 tour rehearsals would leak. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You with Jimmy on pedal steel? OMG please!!

So that is the song they were rehearsing with the pedal steel? I have always wondered what song they were rehearsing ever since I first saw that photo of the band with Jimmy in the Rohrer 714 quaalude shirt and the pedal steel in Creem magazine around 1978-79.

I always guessed it might have been "That's the Way" with Jones on acoustic and Jimmy on pedal steel...or vice versa.

Jimmy looks to be playing a mandolin in that one pic, non?

Well, since it's just practice, and not necessarily meant for mass consumption, it's somewhat beyond judgement.

I just meant the actual execution -- it's always a surprise to me when they go into "You Shook Me"...and it always sounds off. It would be a cool rarity, but might not actually sound the best -- although I guess that's subjective. :)

Jimmy looks to be playing a mandolin in that one pic, non?

I just meant the actual execution -- it's always a surprise to me when they go into "You Shook Me"...and it always sounds off. It would be a cool rarity, but might not actually sound the best -- although I guess that's subjective. :)

I'll agree with that. The 'YSM' tease was a great idea on paper, but execution was typically not so easy.

Led Zeppelin only performed "The Wanton Song" at the early dates of the 1975 Tour. Search January 20-22 '75 Chicago on the internet for a clip. It seems to have disappeared from the set shortly after Chicago. Definitely gone by the time they hit Madison Square Garden.

Jimmy Page played "The Wanton Song" during the 1995-96 and 1998 Page & Plant tours and with the Black Crowes in 1999-2000.

Thanks Strider and ZeppMan. This is such a kick ass song. I have to say I like the version Jimmy played with the Black Crowes more than the

Zep studio version. Apparently, Jimmy liked Wonton Song more than Robert...just sayin' I will check out the Chicago live versions you suggested Strider. Thanks for the youtube clip ZeppMan.