Why do people hate TSRTS so much?

thebeatlesrock63

The performances on all songs were top notch and the remastered version gave us a vastly superior and (!) an extended Dazed and Confused. So sure, some songs lost their original duration but on the flip side we got some new songs. Who doesn't like new live premium quality songs? If the main issue was the length then there was always the original album. So, why the hate?

We don't hate the album, we hate the mix, the remastered version to be more specific. I'm very fond of the vinyl version, one of my first albums was TSRTS on vinyl and there are plenty of things that the vinyl version has that got lost when remastering the 2007 version. You should go to a website called The Garden Tapes, the guy has all the information you need about what got lost and what was added.

• 3 weeks later...

The film, The Song Remains the Same, was a wasted opportunity, imo. A documentary that follows the biggest band of the era at their zenith could have been a compelling film in the hands of the right director. It wasn't. The only intriguing part of the film for me was John Paul Jones' fantasy sequence. Page, Plant, Bonham and Grant's fantasy sequences all made a certain sense given their interests at the time. However, Jones masked marauder fantasy came out of nowhere. It made me wonder if he was sending up Plant's fantasy sequence.

I'm with you Dropsie, That is my favorite version of SIBLY. So beautiful - Jimmy's intro gives me goose bumps every time I hear it. Also love the Rain Song.

The whole run-up to the song...when RP goes on about the cosmic energy...then the guitar intro hits you like a tidal wave...spine-tingling, always!

I share many folks' distaste for what was done to a few key songs on the 2007 remaster: Celebration Day (amazing original ending solo replaced with inferior one); No Quarter (great stuff inexplicably edited out); and Whole Lotta Love (The Crunge sequence edited out in a really ham-fisted way).

And I know others have complaints about a strange little edit in Dazed, and some editing choices in Moby Dick - though honestly, I don't care much about those edits.

But all that said, I really like the 2007 version of TSRTS. As the OP said, it gave us 6 new songs. And it's easy to replace three screwed-up tracks with the versions from the original.

In fact, there's a fan version by a guy named Heywood that combines the best of the two versions, along with a number of other fixes and little add-ons, and makes the whole thing sound pretty much seamless. Highly recommended.

I certainly don't dislike TSRTS film / soundtrack; it Zeppelin, but its my least favorite of all their releases and the only release that I feel that is dated when "watched" today. The film has not stood the test of time like their music. Just MHO. The fantasy sequences must have been hard to live down; pretty silly self-indulgent stuff, but again, its Zeppelin so who's complaining! I wish it was a full concert start to finish with no edits and goofy fantasy crap!

I tend to agree - IDK if its just because I had the original TSRTS for so long & played it so often & loud that the "new stuff" in the new mix kind of ruins it for me. I LOVE both versions of Celebration Day - but can not stand the remixed version of WLL!

This in a nutshell is what I think, you grow up with a album that even the slight changes, make you go hold on.

Give it twenty years or so and I will have worn in the new version.... :mellow:

Disco Duck, I agree the film was a wasted opportunity. But it's testament to the way Zep so jealously guarded their privacy. Even in the past year, amazing documentary material has emerged of the Stones and David Bowie: all were performing at a time of inventive and sometimes intimate film-making. Peter Grant/ Led Zep would have been fully aware of the possibilities: they must have knowingly turned them down.

No doubt the intention was to keep the focus on the music, but it's sad to think that although we hear hints of the music hidden in Jimmy's vaults, there's no evidence that JP or anyone else is sitting on any more film archive .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^ +1

Fantasy sequences are about all I hate.

You're talking a difference of viewer quality/experience vs. filming integrity. I prefer original footage, but sometimes things HAD to be re-filmed to make the cinema let alone keep the viewer from leaving the movie theater.

The only people who would notice it was are...us, the higher level fans (or a person who has seen it many times).

There's a reason for liking original footage though.... ;-)

I don't hate TSRTS, but I don't like it and I don't go out of my way to listen to it. Dazed is way too long, same for Moby Dick.

Never been a big fan of Rain Song or No Quarter, and with only 9 songs, i was disappointed in the whole thing.

I definitely had bootlegs that put this to shame.

The movie was only about 50 times worse. A complete total waste of time. What should have been a thoruoghly mind-blowing documentary, turns out to be a juvenile mish mash of silly fantasy sequences and not very inspired performances.

• 2 weeks later...

I love it for what it is..

But I'd take real 1 camera concert footage that completely matches over 3 nights mixed together any day of the week.

It's kind of hard for me to watch TSRTS these days because live footage should match lick for lick.. cymbal crash for cymbal crash..

Otherwise, it bugs the hell out of me.

Fantasy sections..

I love Jimmy Page's and John Bonham's.

I like Peter Grant's and can tolerate JPJ's.

I don't like Robert Plant's at all, but Virginia Parker is incredibly beautiful.

I love Robert's home footage.

The backstage footage is great.

Archived