John Paul Jones to present and play at Festival International Mandolines de Lunel 2013

Cookie0024

John Paul Jones will present the tenth anniversary of the Mandolines de Lunel festival in France starting on the 29th of October. (I think - translated from French) He will play a live set on the second of November.

Festival website: http://www.mandolinesdelunel.com/2013/home/

Festival Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/mandolinesdelunel

Festival YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mandolinesdelunel

French news article: http://www.tv5.org/cms/chaine-francophone/info/p-1911-John-Paul-Jones-parrain-du-10e-festival-des-mandolines-de-Lunel.htm?&rub=10&xml=newsmlmmd.urn.newsml.afp.com.20130924.1fd647fd.d4f1.4082.b5a0.a61653ffbe6e.xml

post-20091-0-13798000-1380058961_thumb.j

John Paul Jones makes music when, how and with whom he wants. None of his recent musical ventures would appear to be commercially viable but thanks to his years his Led Zeppelin, he doesn't have to worry about that. He's in an enviable position for a musician.

John Paul Jones makes music when, how and with whom he wants. None of his recent musical ventures would appear to be commercially viable but thanks to his years his Led Zeppelin, he doesn't have to worry about that. He's in an enviable position for a musician.

ITA, Disco. In the last five years or so, I have come to "respect the Jones" more and more. He is a genius.

I often think about what's more beautiful on the rain song, if it's either the mellotrone or the guitar... JPJ is a tremendously gifted musician, great bass player and a very humble man, wich is not something you'd expect to see from a guy who was in Led Zeppelin.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

JPJ interview:

published in French, Google translated to English

Interview with John Paul Jones, former Led Zeppelin, sponsor of Lunel Mandolin Festival
HuffPost | By Alexis Ferenczi 30/10/2013

MUSIC - John Paul Jones, co-founder with Jimmy Page of the rock band Led Zeppelin is a lover of mandolin. Composer, arranger, bassist and keyboardist talent, he is one of Britain's greatest musicians. And one of the most versatile, as evidenced by its decision to sponsor the festival "Lunel Mandolin".

The rally that began on October 29 and celebrates its tenth anniversary, brings together the best players mandolins. John Paul Jones will perform solo on November 2 at the closing ceremony. He took the time to come back with HuffPost about its history with the instrument.

How was your first meeting with the mandolin?

I started playing in the early 1970s. I had mostly listened in bluegrass bands (musical style of American origin which is a branch of country music) as with their album and The Dillards Back Porch Bluegrass.

When I was on tour with Led Zeppelin, I wanted to play music. On the bus and in the plane, the easiest way is to have a portable instrument. I found a mandolin in Indiana, I bought it and I learned to use it as an autodidact. I was immediately hooked.

When did you decide to include in your music?

Almost immediately after tamed. The mandolin has a sound that is different from that of the guitar. I already loved folk and some genres in which it flourished. To force the rub, integration seemed natural. This is not an easy instrument access but many bass player are attracted by the mandolin.

This may be a way to release frustration. This is a very versatile tool and its use depends on the style of music you want to play. With a snare or short solos. In a classical context, it has the same partition as the violin.

Why this instrument is now almost invisible on stage?

The mandolin was really popular in the early twentieth century. In the United States, the stars of the era played. A genre like bluegrass could penetrate and reach a wider audience if it had not been eaten by a rock. Many players are then moved to the guitar.

Yet it is a fairly sharp instrument that gives a spark to the music. The mandolin is like no other instrument. It has a penetrating sound that works very well with the guitar and bass. It is a tool that can be very useful because it is audible over a voice and I'm always amazed at how much she is underestimated.

What is your role in Lunel?

I think the best way to make acclaim to the mandolin is to play on stage. I played a lot with Seasick Steve. I have several books by two brothers Luthiers, the Manson. I have my mandolin three races I have to take care. We find the object in every culture in India where it is more power in Brazil.

I know that Ronnie McCoury, one of the most talented players, told me he almost did beat up at school because he played the mandolin while everyone was in the rock: "the only thing that saved me was when I said that John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin played well. "

For this anniversary edition, other artists were invited: the Israeli-German classical soloist Avi Avital, the French electro-rock Féloche or bandolim Brazilian virtuoso Hamilton de Holanda.

Americans Jake Jolliff and Alex Hargreaves French quartet with Michel Benita and Sebastian Rochford Columbia, Brazilian Tiago Tunes accompanied by fellow Rogérui Caetano and Brazilian seven-string guitar are also planned.

----------

http://www.huffingtonpost.fr/2013/10/30/john-paul-jones-mandoline-festival-lunel_n_4174095.html?utm_hp_ref=fr-culture

ITA, Disco. In the last five years or so, I have come to "respect the Jones" more and more. He is a genius.

John Paul Jones was born a Genius.

It only took me Five seconds to realize this the very first time I ever heard a Led Zeppelin song. (And that was when I was just 13 years old).

Two prime examples of the "Genius" and utter "Musicianship" of John Baldwin can be heard on "Since I've Been Loving You" and, of course, "No Quarter" (among the rest of the Led Zeppelin discography, even if the Credits do not reflect this).

http://youtu.be/5QuGiMAEqE8

• Administrators

John Paul Jones Debuts New Manson Triple Neck at 10th Anniversary Lunel Festival

World-renown musician and long term Manson Guitars user John Paul Jones famed for his legendary performances and song-writing skills with Led Zeppelin, Them Crooked Vultures and as a contributor with hundreds of stellar artists, debuted his latest Hugh Manson triple neck creation at the 10th Anniversary of The Lunel Mandolin Festival on Sunday 3rd November. Painstakingly built over several months, the stunning multi-neck would pose a challenge as a fixed body instrument for many luthiers but Hugh's experience in multi neck instruments came to the fore whilst developing the Mandolin, Octave Mandolin and Bass Mandolin set-up.

Photo%2006-04-2013%2009%2033%2043.jpg

Of course it had to look beautiful as well as play flawlessly so the Manson Guitar Works private wood stocks were raided to allow stunning displays of AAAAA flame and AAAAA quilt maple on the three necks, carved body top and headstocks. The unique design also required Hugh to carry on an old Manson tradition of constructing hand made bridges from solid pieces of brass. Enough of a challenge as it stood, JPJ then added the final requirement: the instrument needed to fold in half for ease of transportation with all electrical connections becoming re-instated when the instrument was returned to its normal state!

Photo%2024-04-2013%2014%2042%2022.jpg

With a new angle - quite literally - on the whole project, the folding multi-neck now had to be considered so that every component would not cause a problem when compressed neatly in half.

Manson%20JPJ%20Triple%20Neck%20Foldable%

The finished article, when removed from its custom hand-made leather gig-bag, can be assembled in seconds. JPJ's incredible playing skills completed the package...

Manson%20JPJ%20Triple%20Neck%20Foldable%

See more images on our Facebook page. We currently have over fifteen custom builds in our Manson Guitar Works facility. Feel free to contact us to have your dream instrument constructed. Contact us at: sales@mansonguitarworks.com

http://www.mansonguitarworks.com/index.cfm/news/john-paul-jones-debuts-new-manson-triple-neck-at-10th-anniversary-lunel-festival-78

• 6 months later...

Archived