Nirvana - Reunion?

87Zeppelin

Well, they did it with Alice In Chains...among other bands. That one sticks out for me because Layne's voice was so different from everyone else and important to the band, I think. Reuniting Nirvana would obviously be pointless because there's no way anyone who actually was a fan of the band would go. As for the possibility of not having Foo Fighters if Kurt had lived--someone's life is obviously worth more than a mediocre band.

Would someone feel offended if I came here and say that I think Kurt's songwriting is quite overrated? :unsure:

I'm sure it will offend some, but I couldn't agree more. Nirvana was a good band, not a great band. Cobain's death has inflated the legend and made him more significant than he ever would have been had he lived. I get why "Nevermind" was significant and influential, it blew away the hair bands, pop, and Michael Jackson, and ushered in a new era and all that. And Cobain was a spokesman for Gen X, and Nirvana became a cultural thing as much as a musical thing. But their whole legend rests on one album, and while it's a pretty good one, it's not one of the best albums ever made. It regularly shows up in the top 5 of 'all-time best album' lists, and it just doesn't merit that ranking. When you think about it, 1991 was only about a dozen years removed from the first punk movement, and Nirvana weren't really saying anything that The Clash and the Sex Pistols hadn't said previously. The whole '3 chords and a bunch of angst' thing spoke to the new generation, and was cool for awhile, but "Nevermind" doesn't come close to albums like Physical Graffiti, Dark Side Of The Moon, Sergeant Pepper, etc. And honestly, when I think of the Seattle Grunge bands, I'd put Nirvana 3rd or 4th as far as best bands: Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam were all better IMHO.

I'm sure it will offend some, but I couldn't agree more. Nirvana was a good band, not a great band. Cobain's death has inflated the legend and made him more significant than he ever would have been had he lived. I get why "Nevermind" was significant and influential, it blew away the hair bands, pop, and Michael Jackson, and ushered in a new era and all that. And Cobain was a spokesman for Gen X, and Nirvana became a cultural thing as much as a musical thing. But their whole legend rests on one album, and while it's a pretty good one, it's not one of the best albums ever made. It regularly shows up in the top 5 of 'all-time best album' lists, and it just doesn't merit that ranking. When you think about it, 1991 was only about a dozen years removed from the first punk movement, and Nirvana weren't really saying anything that The Clash and the Sex Pistols hadn't said previously. The whole '3 chords and a bunch of angst' thing spoke to the new generation, and was cool for awhile, but "Nevermind" doesn't come close to albums like Physical Graffiti, Dark Side Of The Moon, Sergeant Pepper, etc. And honestly, when I think of the Seattle Grunge bands, I'd put Nirvana 3rd or 4th as far as best bands: Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Pearl Jam were all better IMHO.

Agreed.

And about Nevermind: Incesticide is a hell of a fucking lot better.

Archived