Sir Jimmy Page?

Wolfman

this article says "according to Gibson" - that's according to Gibson WHEN ? All the other detail is old. Louise's tweet is from when she was an MP.

I do think her endorsement would have lent great momentum to the case for a knighthood, at the time.

That was then - I don't think the momentum is strong enough now.

Also let's get some perspective - yes, of course, the guys who received the Kennedy Honours last year could do with some more official plaudits from their home nation.

But the honours list follows its own rules ( or no rules at all) : every time they're announced there is one travesty or another. They ARE the big establishment gongs, but it's all pretty arbitrary and there is next to no transparency in the system.

Three cheers for Jimmy, or either of the others, if a knighthood is awarded - but don't hold your breath, and they're all giants either way.

this article says "according to Gibson" - that's according to Gibson WHEN ? All the other detail is old. Louise's tweet is from when she was an MP.

I do think her endorsement would have lent great momentum to the case for a knighthood, at the time.

Also let's get some perspective - yes, of course, the guys who received the Kennedy Honours last year could do with some more official plaudits from their home nation.

But the honours list follows its own rules ( or no rules at all) : every time they're announced there is one travesty or another. They ARE the big establishment gongs, but it's all pretty arbitrary and there is next to no transparency in the system.

Three cheers for Jimmy, or either of the others, if a knighthood is awarded - but don't hold your breath, and they're all giants either way.

+ 1,000,000,000 :thanku:

Thank you truth and beauty. Nice to see someone taking a rational approach. Official plaudits and recognition are nice, I suppose, but it doesn't mean much in the long run.

Whether Jimmy gets knighted or not has no bearing on Led Zeppelin's place in the rock and roll firmament or Jimmy's perch on Guitar God Mountain.

Led Zeppelin are Mighty Rock Gods. End of story. If you need need someone to be knighted or given a Grammy award to convince you to listen to a band, then you're not much of a rock fan to begin with.

I like my rock stars as far away from politicians and Queens as possible...leave that stuff for Sting and Bono and Sir Bob Geldof.

Hi T & B,

I put the link to your original thread on this subject in my post above. I had also started a thread at the time for people to put in their nomination forms in respect of JImmy . I had been in touch with the Cabinet Office who said that overseas citizens could also nominate him, so it was open to non-UK members on this site.

Here's the link to that thread where you can link up to the nomination form:- http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/16796-nominate-jimmy-for-a-knighthood-download-form/?hl=knighthood

It is very annoying that Jimmy was given the lesser award (OBE) when you see someone like Bryan Ferry being given the CBE, which is just down from a knighthood. (of course, JImmy has never been an establishment arselicker like BF).

I wouldn't hold out much hope now because in the light of the Savile scandal, Jimmy's intimate relationship with the fourteen year old Lori Mattix would surely go against him.

for

Louise Mensch is no longer an MP (she moved to NYC to be with her husband), so whatever influence she had there no longer exists.

And given the current climate in the UK . . . it seems impossible that the powers that be would consider it a good idea right now.

Being Jimmy Page will have to be honour enough (with apologies to George Bernard Shaw).

He has said in an interview (this is purely from memory :unsure: - I can't recall the publication or date) that he didn't know if he would accept a knighthood if one were offered.

Something else he and Keith Richards have in common though Richards has always been more adamant about turning down a knighthood if it were ever offered.

Disco Duck,

Yes, you are right - Mick Jagger was interviewed by a British television news programme when he received his knighthood, and they said to him that Keef was not at all impressed by him accepting. His response was that Keith just isn't 'happy' !?! Here's the YouTube link:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR4mSkshCA8 I love Keith's comment that he wouldn't let that family (the Royal Family) touch him with a stick (referring to being tapped on the shoulders with a sword at the Investiture)

It was in the UK press that David Bowie was offered a knighthood, but turned it down.

The idea of having a knighthood is now devalued due to some of the present holders of the honour i.e. people who really don't deserve them, but have ass licked the Establishment for years.

Something else he and Keith Richards have in common though Richards has always been more adamant about turning down a knighthood if it were ever offered.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I am applying to the Cabinet Office to obtain a knighthood for Jimmy Page shortly (for his services to music as he has already received OBE for his services to charity) and was wondering if you would like to join my Facebook group "Knighthood for Jimmy Page please"! It already has 600+ members but the more the merrier I say! Thank you very much!

June Page x

Archived