LA 6-22-77

tom kid

Listening to this show for the first time in a while. I think it rivals the famous show from the night the before, if the recording was better I think it would be more highly regarded. In My Time of Dying is phenomenal, the best version I've heard, the energy in it is just astounding, the whole band is going hell bent for leather and the little blues jam at the end is awesome.

What are peoples opinions on this concert? One of the best from '77 for mine. Wish the recording was better and Millard had been in attendance!

Edited by tom kid

One of my favourite IMTOD's as well (much prefer it to the 25/6 version) and "No Quarter" was EPIC on the night as well.

I suppose I can live with the quality of the recording(s) for 22/6/77; there are certainly worse recordings than those. What the hell, Mike Millard couldn't attend every show...

I rank it a notch below Eddie and a notch above Badge. The technical prowness is akin to the proficiency of 6/26. I love all the shows but 6/22 and 6/26 are the tightest IMO. Bonham had a rough day on the 24th so 6/25 is more loose along with 6/23 and 6/27.

ALS, NQ & IMTOD, and OTHAFA are the highlights. Note it's the only show where Hills and Dying were both played in '77.

The Lemon Song at the end of Dying is a true highlight of the entire series.

Edited by ListenToThis

I rank it a notch below Eddie and a notch above Badge. The technical prowness is akin to the proficiency of 6/26. I love all the shows but 6/22 and 6/26 are the tightest IMO. Bonham had a rough day on the 24th so 6/25 is more loose along with 6/23 and 6/27.

ALS, NQ & IMTOD, and OTHAFA are the highlights. Note it's the only show where Hills and Dying were both played in '77.

The Lemon Song at the end of Dying is a true highlight of the entire series.

Agreed with all of the above!

Definitely an overlooked gem of a show...I'm already on record as stating 6/22/77 has my favourite OTHAFA.

One of my favourite IMTOD's as well (much prefer it to the 25/6 version) and "No Quarter" was EPIC on the night as well.

I suppose I can live with the quality of the recording(s) for 22/6/77; there are certainly worse recordings than those. What the hell, Mike Millard couldn't attend every show...

No, he couldn't.

Agreed that this is a great show. Personally I don't listen to it much because 6-21 and 6-23 also are great performances and sound so much better.

IMTOD is one of my favorite Zep songs, though, so I do cue that one up from 6-22 once in a while.

Probably too much to hope for, but would be nice to hear a SBD version of parts of 6-22 on the supposedly upcoming new Zep remaster CDs/boxes.