I TAKE IT BACK ABOUT STH!

Listening to the whole show (thanks 94.1) and in my original review, I said I was tiny bit let down by the STH solo....forget it....it was freaking AWESOME.....great job Jimmy....was beautiful...whole show sounds even better now and I thought it was the best show I've ever been to already....this confirms it....thank you boys!!! :D

I loved this version of STH. Very gentle beginning, tender vocals. The solo was absolutely spot on IMHO. Jimmy split on the screeen a la TSRTS; pity he was bathed in pinkish light - would have looked better in blue or green, but that's nit-picking! :)

Listening to the whole show (thanks 94.1) and in my original review, I said I was tiny bit let down by the STH solo....forget it....it was freaking AWESOME.....great job Jimmy....was beautiful...whole show sounds even better now and I thought it was the best show I've ever been to already....this confirms it....thank you boys!!! :D

yeah I had the same initial reaction.

I think expectations were so high for that solo that perhaps it caught us off guard when we heard it.

I think I was expecting Jimmy to blast off out of the O2 or something.

is full levitation without wires too much to ask?

I agree, I loved the solo because it was basically the studio version done live and I'm in the process of learning how to play it. :D

The solo was absolutely spot on IMHO.

God love for your opinion... if you like it or dont like it.

You like it...cool. Fine by me...

BUT there is NO WAY in hell it can be described as "spot-on."

he plays the WRONG notes...

how can mistakes be even remotely considered SPOT on?

God love for your opinion... if you like it or dont like it.

You like it...cool. Fine by me...

BUT there is NO WAY in hell it can be described as "spot-on."

he plays the WRONG notes...

how can mistakes be even remotely considered SPOT on?

Well then, nothing "live" is ever actually spot on then, is it? There were many where Jimmy basically went nowhere with that solo. I'd say this version was the closest to the studio version save for a few notes. It was nice to see it done that way.

Well then, nothing "live" is ever actually spot on then, is it?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you havent seen too many concerts, or

been exposed to a very wide cross-section of musical styles.

There are soooooo many working musicians on this planet who perform flawlessly.

And just because an artist DOES NOT make mistakes (or precious few) does NOT mean

he lacks

soul

passion

feel

heart

fire

intensity

charisma

attitude

etc

etc

etc

Maybe this is a little bit of a sidetrack but I feel compelled to weigh in on Page's playing as I was formerly one of the non-believers that feared we were in for another Atlantic Records 40th or -gulp- Live Aid redux. The last bar of Page's stairway solo (which on whole was the very best he has played it since the mid 70's both in feel and execution) involves a rapid pull-off lick that is almost always foreshortened due to the demand that Page return to the chordal riff closing the song on the 12-string neck. Page found a very clever work-around which, to my knowledge, marks his 02 performance as unique (evidenced in some of the newly posted close-footage on youtube) Rather than rushing-through the climax of the solo he bends the final note for a beat a la the studio solo and then returns to the chord riff on the six string neck which is a much simpler transition. Then, whether by accident or design, manages to smoothly transition back to the 12 string by rapidly adjusting the toggle switch in between chords. He was obviously really really determined to pull this solo off and hats off to Page for giving it his best shot. Also, although it has been posted elsewhere, it is no small miracle that he manages to begin the solo without the customary lead-in which I assume was originally orchestrated to smooth the position and neck shifting. In any event, to me this adds up to a truly gutsy uncompromising performance by Mr. page. Listen to his performance from ARMS or Live Aid or the Atlantic 40th fiasco if you don't believe me. The wrong notes people are reacting to are characteristic of Jimmy's live playing since the beginning - and he usually recovers gracefully. Its rock and roll not elevator-jazz, you think Check Berry gives a damn about a "wrong" note here and there.

I'm guessing the initial disappointment/sadness over STH was because of the drop tuning, Wolfman. It didn't sound the same, but I still say it sounded like an epilogue to the original in that lower tuning.

As for Page not being "spot-on" with the solo....well, he's intentionally never been about playing precise when playing live as dexter mentioned. And bbking, what exactly are wrong notes? I don't seem to recall anyone saying Thelonius Monk or John Coltrane were playing "wrong" notes when they played live. It's the improv/jazz element that Zep always had live with Page, Jones and Bonham. I'll take passionate live playing over a sheet music concert recital any day.

As for Page not being "spot-on" with the solo....well, he's intentionally never been about playing precise when playing live as dexter mentioned. And bbking, what exactly are wrong notes? I don't seem to recall anyone saying Thelonius Monk or John Coltrane were playing "wrong" notes when they played live. It's the improv/jazz element that Zep always had live with Page, Jones and Bonham. I'll take passionate live playing over a sheet music concert recital any day.

someone else called it spot on.

... and IT ISNT.

And since he was trying (as many suggest) to recreate the studio recording he failed.

To compare Pages sloppy playing and MISTAKES to the absolute depth of understanding of the technical and artistic aspects of music that the genius of Coltrane possessd, is so uninformed and insipid it is beyond beleif.

To actually COMPOSE a dissonant piece of music and to MAKE A MISTAKE are NOT the same thing.....jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssschrist!

... and IT ISNT.

And since he was trying (as many suggest) to recreate the studio recording he failed.

To compare Pages sloppy playing and MISTAKES to the absolute depth of understanding of the technical and artistic aspects of music that the genius of Coltrane possessd, is so uninformed and insipid it is beyond beleif.

To actually COMPOSE a dissonant piece of music and to MAKE A MISTAKE are NOT the same thing.....jeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssschrist!

I hope your hands didn't get too greasy when you were flipping through the dictionary on that last comment, Mr. Webster I mean uhh...BBKing :D

Now here is the whole deal: Whether the it was "spot on" or not...who cares? the show was IMHO opinion a good show overall. Of course there were some slips, but do you expect a band that broke up in 1980 be perfect, no. Do you expect them to be terrible, no. You take pride in the fact that they were willing to play for you again after all these years and say "yeah that was a pretty darn good show!" who cares if it was perfect!! It was Led Zeppelin for the first time in 27 years!!!

I say Hell Yeah regardless of any "spot on" or non spot on

LOL

Hey the thing is I DONT CARE IF its sloppy..JUST dont tell me its PERFECT

or its the "feel" or the "soul" or the "wrong" notes are what makes it good...

I HATE that attitude.

OUR HEROS can BE less than perfect.

And if someone says PAGE MADE A MISTAKE why get so pissed about it?

Jimmy Page is ONE of my FAVORITE guitarists.

His every flatulence is not a "golden gift from the GOD" however.

To single out ANY one MAN as the worlds greatest musician or Guitarist is infantile

and ridiculous.

JIMMY PAGE IS MY FAVORITE GUITAR PLAYER

I LOVE LED ZEPPELIN.

THE 02 was MY FAVORITE CONCERT I have ever seen.

ARE statements NO ONE can argue with.

Jimmy Page is not GOD.

cuz THERE is no god.

only humans. differently abled.

... and IT ISNT.

So wait, you're telling me that every wrong note I've heard in LIVE recordings from Coltrane and Monk and Miles Davis were INTENTIONAL? In free-form jazz with minimal compositional structure compared to traditional jazz? Really? And I'm uninformed and insipid? RRRRRiiiiight.

For starters, Page has NEVER tried to recreate the studio recording (hence the Ever Onward mantra), so it's laughable to think you read that into what I wrote. "Spot-on" does not need to be note-for-note reproduction within the Zep canon -- it's more about tone and timbre. And I never once said he was perfect or trying for perfection. That's the antithesis of Zeppelin from 1968 forward.

This concept of what you call "wrong notes" is your subjective view from what you've previously heard. And from this post, I'm guessing you've had limited exposure to Zeppelin's live recordings. I will put anything Zeppelin ever did live up against any piece of free-form jazz. Coltrane, Monk, Davis or otherwise.

yeah I had the same initial reaction.

I think expectations were so high for that solo that perhaps it caught us off guard when we heard it.

I think I was expecting Jimmy to blast off out of the O2 or something.

is full levitation without wires too much to ask?

I rather enjoyed hearing the STH that Zeppelin presented on Monday!

I am, glad that they saved "Kashmir" to be the "Knockout" out the night!!

Archived