Fishing, Sharks, Whales and the Ocean, Lakes and Rivers

LedZeppfan77

i am now 56. When I was 4 we lived in Rodando Beach for 1 year. I know my late step father took us to a fisherman's wharf in the LA area. But my memories are very scarce. Someday I want to return to the West coast. I just am not sure whether I would go to LA or SF? Or San Diego? Its good you have these old pics. My mother is really good about keeping old pics. Has many from the late 1800's

Hmmmm, I would say San Diego. Never been there but that would be my choice over the others.

Here's one of me at age 15 (1965) in that same area. I'm fishing through a hole in the pier. The fish seemed to like the dark areas.

post-503-0-87111800-1382654781_thumb.jpg

Me and my Ma in Golden Gate Park, San Fran., 1957 or so. She's the one who would take me down to the piers after school. Man I loved that so much. We would also go over to Sausalito and fish by the Trident restaurant. We'd fish on and around the old barge that's set into the end of the street right next to the Trident. Here's a seal named 'Cecil' sunning on the old deck. :^)

post-503-0-77530000-1382655419_thumb.jpg

post-503-0-99844100-1382655702_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

Best news i've heard in a long time eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

http://www.news.com.au/national/australia-wins-whaling-case-against-japan-in-the-hague/story-fncynjr2-1226870210553

"The International Court of Justice ruled that Japan's whaling program is not for scientific purposes and has forbidden the granting of further whaling permits.
The finding by a 16-judge panel at the ICJ is in favour of Australia's argument that Japan's whaling program is carried out for commercial purposes".

Even though Japan insisted it's lethal research was both lawful and necessary icon_rolleyes.gif it has to abide by the International Justice Court's ruling.

Japan inhumanly slaughters thousands of Minke whales, plus the magnificent Humpbacks and Southern Right whales in Australian and Antarctic waters each year for supposed scientific studies, when in fact, all they're doing is providing whale meat for consumption.

So later this year, when I watch the annual return migration of these beautiful, gentle giants with their playful, new born calves .... I'll know they will make it home safely and not end up hacked to death and served on a Japanese dinner plate.

Best news i've heard in a long time eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif

http://www.news.com.au/national/australia-wins-whaling-case-against-japan-in-the-hague/story-fncynjr2-1226870210553

"The International Court of Justice ruled that Japan's whaling program is not for scientific purposes and has forbidden the granting of further whaling permits.

The finding by a 16-judge panel at the ICJ is in favour of Australia's argument that Japan's whaling program is carried out for commercial purposes".

Even though Japan insisted it's lethal research was both lawful and necessary icon_rolleyes.gif it has to abide by the International Justice Court's ruling.

Japan inhumanly slaughters thousands of Minke whales, plus the magnificent Humpbacks and Southern Right whales in Australian and Antarctic waters each year for supposed scientific studies, when in fact, all they're doing is providing whale meat for consumption.

So later this year, when I watch the annual return migration of these beautiful, gentle giants with their playful, new born calves .... I'll know they will make it home safely and not end up hacked to death and served on a Japanese dinner plate.

I wish they would torpedo those fucking Jap boats. Ignorant bastards.

I am recording that River monster series. Should be interesting. Animal channel

They still deny the slaughter they inflicted in WW 2 too.

I wish they would torpedo those fucking Jap boats. Ignorant bastards.

I am recording that River monster series. Should be interesting. Animal channel

My description, thoughts and words are a lot harsher than yours. Unfortunately, now they will probably only take their slaughter up into the northern waters of Europe.

That River Monster series is screening on our Discovery channel. I've seen a few episodes and it's certainly jaw dropping.

Redrum, I know this is off topic for this thread, but at the very minimum, how can the Japanese still deny the bombing of Pearl harbour? There's documented proof!

Maybe find another thread to reply, so as not to distract from this one (let me know where)

Redrum, I know this is off topic for this thread, but at the very minimum, how can the Japanese still deny the bombing of Pearl harbour? There's documented proof!

Maybe find another thread to reply, so as not to distract from this one (let me know where)

They're a great people but they just seem to be in denial over their history.

What is it? A whale? It turns out one of the River monsters was a big white sturgeon. Sturgeon can get very big and live over 100 years

Yes, it's a humpback whale. They have a unique eye and mouth placement.

This pic of a very young humpback calf, shows their rotating eye ball area, looking down.

1299450556.jpg

Talking about sturgeon and nasty sea creatures, a local lady was killed by a shark this morning at a beach not far from where I live.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/woman-killed-in-tathra-beach-shark-attack-on-the-nsw-south-coast/story-fni0cx12-1226873154777

Yes, it's a humpback whale. They have a unique eye and mouth placement.

This pic of a very young humpback calf, shows their rotating eye ball area, looking down.

1299450556.jpg

Talking about sturgeon and nasty sea creatures, a local lady was killed by a shark this morning at a beach not far from where I live.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/woman-killed-in-tathra-beach-shark-attack-on-the-nsw-south-coast/story-fni0cx12-1226873154777

Wow. Was it a great white? Or a tiger or bull? I went on a Cape Cod tour to watch the humpbacks. Hoping to see a Sperm but rare sightings of them in those regions. I have been watching the "River Monster" series. Where does that guy get his money? He has even a damn helicopter. They were talking about Bull sharks being the only main type of shark that can go into fresh water rivers and survive. Nothing scares me more than the Amazon. Piranha and Anaconda's and everything you can imagine.

• 4 years later...

Shark Week is fabulous.  I have been taping and watching it all.  Love it. And lots to learn.  I wish they would find Colossus. A Great White off the African coast that was filmed in 2011 jumping out of the water with a seal in its mouth.  That is one they want to tag.  But they have not found him.  He could have moved down to Australian waters?  But they have not had any luck finding him.  And they will know him by his dorsel fin.  Like a fingerprint if you will. He has a couple of nicks in it and some markings that will ID him if found.

2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Shark Week is fabulous.  I have been taping and watching it all.  Love it. And lots to learn.  I wish they would find Colossus. A Great White off the African coast that was filmed in 2011 jumping out of the water with a seal in its mouth.  That is one they want to tag.  But they have not found him.  He could have moved down to Australian waters?  But they have not had any luck finding him.  And they will know him by his dorsel fin.  Like a fingerprint if you will. He has a couple of nicks in it and some markings that will ID him if found.

Saw the one where the guy was in the clear plastic shark cage. He had a problem keeping the door closed. 😲

35 minutes ago, Walter said:

Why would it be so rare with a humpback?   A sperm and we have Moby Dick.  What waters are these?  Don't know if you have been watching Shark Week?  But its very good.  Tagging many Great Whites.  Next year they should have some interesting data, like how far they travel and if the waters off Baja are truly a mating area as they believe?

6 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Why would it be so rare with a humpback?   A sperm and we have Moby Dick.  What waters are these?  Don't know if you have been watching Shark Week?  But its very good.  Tagging many Great Whites.  Next year they should have some interesting data, like how far they travel and if the waters off Baja are truly a mating area as they believe?

If you’re able to play the video you’ll see why - it’s completely albino/white. Yeah I follow a handful of tagged sharks on twitter. Interesting to see their migration patterns. Another area of interest is off Long Island. Lots of great white sharks have their babies there. 

4 minutes ago, Walter said:

If you’re able to play the video you’ll see why - it’s completely albino/white. Yeah I follow a handful of tagged sharks on twitter. Interesting to see their migration patterns. Another area of interest is off Long Island. Lots of great white sharks have their babies there. 

And lots off Cape Cod.  We stayed at a hotel right where they tagged a ton of them across from a small Island of seals.  Man.  Scary to know i was in that water so close. I knew they were off Montauk point, likely more in summer and they have tagged some that migrate south and off the coast of Georgia they were going down 2000 feet!!!  Shocking. They believe to hunt Squid. Ill look at the video.  I am sure there are many breeding grounds.  I hope they locate this one shark called Collosus which they did a special on.  Off S Africa, seal Island.  It certainly could have migrated to waters off Australia as that is a Great White haven.  And they can go deep for very very long periods of time.