Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
weslgarlic

is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?

Barry: Rob, top five musical crimes perpetuated by Stevie Wonder in the '80s and '90s. Go. Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?

high fidelity

basically crap songs by otherwise great artists

Stevie Wonder - I Just Called To Say I Love You

Jeff Beck - Hi Ho Silver Lining

Paul McCartney & The Frog Chorus - We all stand together

It's a deep mystery how a man of musical genius like Stevie could write Higher Ground, As, Superstition, Sir Duke, I Wish... and then the truly atrocious I Just Called. Did he need the dough? Was he desperate for a hit, fried on drugs, what?

It was the 80's...that's the only excuse I can offer...let's not forget Ebony and Ivory while we're at it.....

I liked Ebony & Ivory and I Just Called.

Edited by Disco Duck

To return to the original question: Is it better to burn out or fade away? It is always better to fade away, imo. Unfortunately, some artists manage to do both. Sly Stone is a good example.

I never understood the question as it's posed like a contrast, as if they're clearly different states. There are plenty of burn-out cases whose careers faded long ago. Sly Stone is a particularly tragic example, as DD pointed out. Great song though.

I never understood the question as it's posed like a contrast, as if they're clearly different states. There are plenty of burn-out cases whose careers faded long ago. Sly Stone is a particularly tragic example, as DD pointed out. Great song though.

I don't think the 1980's was a good period for a lot of artists , but many have had returns to form . even Elton John