July 6th 1973, Chicago

chef free

Who has heard this "excellent" soundboard? What are the high lights? How's the sound? Recommendo?

Led Zeppelin
Windy City Adventure
July 6, 1973
Chicago
Label - Wendy
Excellent Soundboard
Silvers > EAC > WAV > FLAC
The second one in my collection that I didn't find on Zeppelin Art. They
have it now..

Disc 1.
1. Rock And Roll
2. Celebration Day
3. Black Dog
4. Over The Hills And Far Away
5. Misty Mountain Hop
6. Since I've Been Loving You
7. No Quarter
8. The Song Remains The Same
9. The Rain Song

Disc 2
1. Dazed And Confused
2. Stairway To Heaven

Disc 3
1. Moby Dick
2. Heartbreaker
3. Whole Lotta Love
4. Communication Breakdown

I'm surprised no one has responded to your post yet, chef free.

I don't have the Wendy. Mine is Scorpio's "The Atrocity Exhibition".

9608540744f24257a8a6b2.JPG

11744894844f2425841b2db.JPG

Not a great show, in my opinion. The band and Plant, especially, is rough in spots, and the soundboard has that weird sound that mar many of the 1973 soundboards. Seattle, Detroit, New York, Providence, and Boston are all better representations of the second stage of the 1973 U.S. Tour.

If I had to pick a "highlight" from this boot, it would probably be "Since I've Been Loving You". Having the soundcheck full of oldies and "Night Flight", etc. (although I don't really think it is from this show) is also a bonus.

July 6, 1973 is only recommended for "completists".

Thanks Strider! I figured that after a break the band might not be warmed up, but there's always a chance that they come back from a little rest all "tanned, rested, and ready".

The next night on the 7th is much better. The quality of the show is a decent audience recording but Jimmy sounds more energized tight.

I have the 'Windy City Adventure" version and Strider is spot on. The soundboard has that typical dry sound of the '73 boards, they sound worse than the '77 boards imo, which are pretty dry as well. Plant's voice is in pretty rough shape, with it sometimes being hard to listen for me. Definitely not a show I'd recommend to someone who was just starting their journey into live Zeppelin.

I have the 'Windy City Adventure" version and Strider is spot on. The soundboard has that typical dry sound of the '73 boards, they sound worse than the '77 boards imo, which are pretty dry as well. Plant's voice is in pretty rough shape, with it sometimes being hard to listen for me. Definitely not a show I'd recommend to someone who was just starting their journey into live Zeppelin.

Spot on ^

I didn't find myself enjoying the show a whole lot. The only reason I got it is so my collection looks more impressive :P

Though it's not known for sure, it's widely thought that the rehearsal boot "Johnny Kidd & The Pirates" was recorded earlier that day in Chicago, before the show. They ran through these '50's rock and roll oldies...

1. Schooldays
2. Nadine
3. Round And Round
4. Go, Go, Go
5. Love Me Like A Hurricane
6. Move it
7. Dynamite
8. Shakin' All Over
9. Hungry For Love
10. I'll Never Get Over You
11. Reelin' And Rockin'

It's thought that Robert's voice was shredded at the concert that night after singing all these songs that day. I've also read that it could be a '75 rehearsal, but I don't think that adds up. Robert's voice and Jimmy's guitar tone point to '73.

I've always liked this rehearsal set. It gives us a peak in the box as to what the soundcheck or rehearsal was really like. They seem to be having so much fun!!!

I'm guessing between 1968 & 1973 this kind of stuff was pretty regular for the band (there has to be more tapes out there!).

Their cover versions of the 50's early 60's classics is one of the reasons I'm so fond of the WLL medley's between these years. WLL from 4 Sep 1970 has to be my favorite in 2nd place would be the medley from the Paris Theater.

• 5 weeks later...

I bought the first release of this show on the pageboys label, early 90s I think. With that label, the prices came down to around 30 dollars a disc. So I picked first disc of this show up and my brother got Vienna....the worst to the best shows. Although it took a year or so, to finally realize that the Vienna show played fast.

It's amazing to hear all these years later, that the rehearsal of 50s rock, is thought to be from that day. No wonder, with plants voice being so damaged for that show. There are times in that rehearsal, where page and bonham have a proto punk sound goin on. Stuff that the black keys and white stripes have picked up on these days.

Archived