2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

kingzoso

Interesting to see that, the replacements were considered along with nirvana, for this year. Ive seen some documentaries on youtube about music in the 90s, where alot of complaining is done about nirvana's popularity. It was sorta surprising to me, to hear artists like henry rollins and sonic youth vehemently stating that they are the ones who introduced that kind of power punk back in the 80s, with a certain slant against nirvana. Maybe its the way the interviews were presented and i know its an issue with purists and music magazines. But c'mon guys, nirvana broke huge….and thats the way it was.

Yeah, the hall, has an agenda…like the grammys, or rolling stone magazine. But whatever scope they use to come up with the inductees, its keeping people talking about the list and watching to see who get voted in next year. In that regard, with it not having a rhyme, reason and so much symmetry, thats sort of rock and roll in itself.

I just read that Kiss, Nirvana, Peter Gabriel, Hall and Oates, Linda Ronstadt and Cat Stevens are the 2013 Inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I would like to say Congratulations to all: Especially Hall and Oates and Kiss.

Kiss...about freaking time! Arguably the most successful American rock n' roll band in history.

Hall & Oates...they're not R&R, but neither is Donna Summer and many others already in so whatever. They deserve it.

Nirvana...arguably the most overrated American rock n' roll band in history. I can think of ten better bands who'll never get in.

Peter Gabriel, Cat Stevens, Linda Ronstadt...​ok, fine I guess...yawn.

Since 1972, THE guitar lick every young kid butchers when they're first learning to play is ... Smoke On The Water.

For this reason (among many others) ...DEEP PURPLE SHOULD HAVE BEEN INDUCTED IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME....YEARS AGO!!! ARGUABLY BEFORE ANY OF THESE (WORTHY) NOMINEES..

Hell, they should have at least been inducted in 2011 when everyone in the music world knew the amazing Jon Lord didn't have much time left...

Always too little too late..

Since 1972, THE guitar lick every young kid butchers when they're first learning to play is ... Smoke On The Water.

For this reason (among many others) ...DEEP PURPLE SHOULD HAVE BEEN INDUCTED IN THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME....YEARS AGO!!! ARGUABLY BEFORE ANY OF THESE (WORTHY) NOMINEES..

Hell, they should have at least been inducted in 2011 when everyone in the music world knew the amazing Jon Lord didn't have much time left...

They should have been in the first year they were eligible which was a long time ago, this is reallly a joke they are not in. but some of the band members have said thats ok as they are not so keen on being in the company of some that are already in. I could not agree more

Not the biggest Purple fan but you're absolutely right.

Hush, Lazy, Highway Star, Space Truckin', Flight of the Rat, Perfect Strangers... DP have never been a really coherent unit personnel-wise, but their best work stacks up against any other hard rock act's from the era, including Zeppelin and Sabbath.

And Nirvana? Here's what I think: http://georgecaseblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/rock-on-really/

Hush, Lazy, Highway Star, Space Truckin', Flight of the Rat, Perfect Strangers... DP have never been a really coherent unit personnel-wise, but their best work stacks up against any other hard rock act's from the era, including Zeppelin and Sabbath.

And Nirvana? Here's what I think: http://georgecaseblog.wordpress.com/2013/12/12/rock-on-really/

+ Woman From Tokyo, Knocking At Your Back Door, Kentucky Woman, and they aren't weren't really a singles band.

Made In Japan is imo the best Live album of all time.

Steve are you saying DEEP PURPLE doesn't belong in the hall of fame? I don't think many will agree with you.

They are every bit as deserving as KISS.

Those aren't hits most under the age 50 have ever heard of and their lineup has changed many times through the years, which doesn't help their case. I've never put then in the same league as Led Zeppelin...I'd say they belong in the Grand Funk, Boston, Foghat division.

+ Woman From Tokyo, Knocking At Your Back Door, Kentucky Woman, and they aren't weren't really a singles band.

Made In Japan is imo the best Live album of all time.

Steve are you saying DEEP PURPLE doesn't belong in the hall of fame? I don't think many will agree with you.

They are every bit as deserving as KISS.

The best live album of all time is James Brown Live at the Apollo. Anyway, I'm not saying they don't belong - hell, Donna Summer got in - just that I can understand why it took this long.

Kiss is ten times more famous than Deep Purple and a hundred times more successful.

Hush and Women from Tokyo for starters, but i guess you have never heard those songs on the radio before have you ?

Of course I have, but survey 100 people under the age of say 50 and ask them to name who recorded Hush and Woman From Tokyo. I'll bet less than 10 reply correctly 'cause 90 of 100 will have no idea what you're talking about. Hush ain't Stairway to Heaven, and Woman From Tokyo ain't I Wanna Rock n' Roll All Night (And Party Every Day).

Those aren't hits most under the age 50 have ever heard of and their lineup has changed many times through the years, which doesn't help their case. I've never put then in the same league as Led Zeppelin...I'd say they belong in the Grand Funk, Boston, Foghat division.

The best live album of all time is James Brown Live at the Apollo. Anyway, I'm not saying they don't belong - hell, Donna Summer got in - just that I can understand why it took this long.

Kiss is ten times more famous than Deep Purple and a hundred times more successful.

That last comment is a bit of a stretch, the best live album of all time is Made in Japan and I have always put them in the same league as Zeppelin, it really comes down to what you like Steve.

Yes lots of folks I would say under 40 (not 50) dont know DP, in America anyhow, does that mean they should not be in because of that ? most over 40 know of DP, dont those people count ?

Heck I cannot name a song by 1/4 of the bands in the hall of shame, Public Enemy and the Beastie Boys for example, but somehow some of those lame Shi* acts made it in. and DP not being in is just a joke, they dont need to be justified by an American group of voters, now I hope they never get in and if they do I reallly hope the band says 'No thanks.'

Deep Purple belongs. Would I put them up with Zep's or Pink Floyds? No, but 99.9% of the bands that are ever gonna get inducted don't belong with them either. In my mind there are two schools of heavy metal...Black Sabbath founded one and Deep Purple founded the other.

Kiss is responsible for more people picking up an electric guitar, short of the Beatles, but Smoke On the Water is likely the first thing they played.

I visited the RnR Hall of Fame a few years ago and despite them stretching the term "rock and roll" to a broader style of music than is reasonable, there wasn't a band or artist that I feel wasn't deserving of a spot among the greatest musical acts ever.

Are there some that are missing? Of course, but I think that has to do with being able to build hype from year to year and having a marquee name.

I believe Robert Plant should be nominated. His solo work has sold well, has been diverse and extensive, he's been recognize by various award groups - namely the Grammy's - and has had a great amount of influence, vocally and visually, on others.

I've never heard anybody cite Robert Plant's solo material as an influence.

What an absurd article. The writer sounds like jaded 80s rocker. Grunge didn't eschew musicianship, it put feeling back into music after it had gradually become a sport. Plenty of "grunge" bands have musicianship on par with any of the bands named in that article.

In regards to nirvana and with total respect to your point of view. It shouldn't be surprising that nirvana broke after hair metal, with the wider music listening public. They're brand of power punk/rock had simple elements of song dynamics that was lacking in the larger music world…simple as that. The public spoke by buying the records, they liked the music. But what is surprising to the rock and power punk community, is that nirvana broke big, when bands like black flag, bad brains, husker du, sonic youth, replacements were comparatively ignored in the 80s, nirvana was just a step after, or part of that movement, it made total sense.

To look at nirvana breaking, might even be as simple as people liking the riff of, smells like teen spirit. i think of the kids rockin their heads on, led zep's how many more times, on danish tv in 1969. Those are the basic primal elements of rock music, especially heavy loud rock music, that strikes a chord with people. But of course with mtv, the mass music market could hear nirvanas song and video immediately.

Of course I have, but survey 100 people under the age of say 50 and ask them to name who recorded Hush and Woman From Tokyo. I'll bet less than 10 reply correctly 'cause 90 of 100 will have no idea what you're talking about. Hush ain't Stairway to Heaven, and Woman From Tokyo ain't I Wanna Rock n' Roll All Night (And Party Every Day).

Fair enough... but Ladies Room, Let's Put the X In Sex, Heaven's On Fire, Take Me, Love Em Leave Em .... etc... are some of the worst crap songs ever recorded by a major act..... and I do think Kiss deserve to be in The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame..

.... and Rock and Roll All Night is terribly overrated

Those aren't hits most under the age 50 have ever heard of and their lineup has changed many times through the years, which doesn't help their case. I've never put then in the same league as Led Zeppelin...

Here in Germany Deep Purple had 7 No. 1 albums and Led Zeppelin 2. So they are indeed in different leagues. Deep Purple in one with the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in one with Black Sabbath and Supertramp ;-)

In regards to nirvana and with total respect to your point of view. It shouldn't be surprising that nirvana broke after hair metal, with the wider music listening public. They're brand of power punk/rock had simple elements of song dynamics that was lacking in the larger music world…simple as that. The public spoke by buying the records, they liked the music. But what is surprising to the rock and power punk community, is that nirvana broke big, when bands like black flag, bad brains, husker du, sonic youth, replacements were comparatively ignored in the 80s, nirvana was just a step after, or part of that movement, it made total sense.

To look at nirvana breaking, might even be as simple as people liking the riff of, smells like teen spirit. i think of the kids rockin their heads on, led zep's how many more times, on danish tv in 1969. Those are the basic primal elements of rock music, especially heavy loud rock music, that strikes a chord with people. But of course with mtv, the mass music market could hear nirvanas song and video immediately.

Fair enough, great rock music doesn't have to be musically complicated, and I'll admit that "Come As You Are," like the Sex Pistol's "Pretty Vacant" or any number of other punk / grunge songs, is a compelling track. And for that matter, "Whole Lotta Love," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," and "I Saw Her Standing There" are perfectly playable by beginners. But the point I was trying to make in my earlier post was that classic rockers chose to play that way, while Nirvana and their ilk seemed to be playing only what they could.

It takes real chops to perform "Black Dog," "Highway Star," or the killer riffs of AC/DC's "Bad Boy Boogie" and ZZ Top's "Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings." And even if Kiss weren't always brilliant players, you've got to give them credit for Ace's dynamic solos and Paul's powerful vocals. I just don't hear that kind of technical ability in the music of Nirvana and other punk / grunge groups, whether in songwriting, arranging, singing, or instrumentation. Deep Purple and Kiss are by no means my favorite artists, but for my money there's a lot more talent on display in their work than in anything by the shoe-gazer / I-hate-myself / college-rock brigade.

post-12775-0-34939700-1387488144.gif post-12775-0-67579800-1387488167.gifpost-12775-0-99036400-1387488190.gif

Archived