2014 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

kingzoso

I was reading today about link wray not getting voted in again this year. From looking through the list again, obviously these bands/artists are all rooted in the past, but they sped up the list and shifted it with a mix of earlier and later artists. They must be marketing this thing with some grand vision, or they are basically trying to keep it interesting. With artists like link wray, townes van zandt, roky erickson…i wonder if being inducted into this hall of fame would actually hurt their legend so to speak. I mean the way some of these lesser known acts grow by word of mouth, is an amazing thing. With some of these artists, or their estates/ families, running the sites which sell the records, i'm sure its like a boutique record store situation. So in some cases it would benefit them to be inducted later. With other artists and their catalogues, that may have gotten somewhat forgotten about, a hall of fame induction would help them.

Basically there must be a lot more marketing and micro managing going on, than most of us realize.

I've never heard anybody cite Robert Plant's solo material as an influence.

By the time Robert Plant went solo there wasn't anything groundbreaking in rock because it had all been done before.

Fair enough... but Ladies Room, Let's Put the X In Sex, Heaven's On Fire, Take Me, Love Em Leave Em .... etc... are some of the worst crap songs ever recorded by a major act.....

Let's Put the X in Sex, Heaven's On Fire and Love Em Leave Em should all be bigger than Stairway to Heaven.

Bang Bang You should be a national anthem, ideally Japan's.

Here in Germany Deep Purple had 7 No. 1 albums and Led Zeppelin 2. So they are indeed in different leagues. Deep Purple in one with the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in one with Black Sabbath and Supertramp ;-)

Joerg, you've had one too many German beers. Deep Purple on par with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones? Well, I hear Jerry Lewis is a god in France. :peace:

I was reading today about link wray not getting voted in again this year. From looking through the list again, obviously these bands/artists are all rooted in the past, but they sped up the list and shifted it with a mix of earlier and later artists. They must be marketing this thing with some grand vision, or they are basically trying to keep it interesting. With artists like link wray, townes van zandt, roky erickson…i wonder if being inducted into this hall of fame would actually hurt their legend so to speak. I mean the way some of these lesser known acts grow by word of mouth, is an amazing thing. With some of these artists, or their estates/ families, running the sites which sell the records, i'm sure its like a boutique record store situation. So in some cases it would benefit them to be inducted later. With other artists and their catalogues, that may have gotten somewhat forgotten about, a hall of fame induction would help them. Basically there must be a lot more marketing and micro managing going on, than most of us realize.

The RnRHoF is and will always be completely meaningless. It's a neat tourist attraction but beyond that it's just the industry jacking itself off.

Fair enough, great rock music doesn't have to be musically complicated, and I'll admit that "Come As You Are," like the Sex Pistol's "Pretty Vacant" or any number of other punk / grunge songs, is a compelling track. And for that matter, "Whole Lotta Love," "Jumpin' Jack Flash," and "I Saw Her Standing There" are perfectly playable by beginners. But the point I was trying to make in my earlier post was that classic rockers chose to play that way, while Nirvana and their ilk seemed to be playing only what they could.

It takes real chops to perform "Black Dog," "Highway Star," or the killer riffs of AC/DC's "Bad Boy Boogie" and ZZ Top's "Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings." And even if Kiss weren't always brilliant players, you've got to give them credit for Ace's dynamic solos and Paul's powerful vocals. I just don't hear that kind of technical ability in the music of Nirvana and other punk / grunge groups, whether in songwriting, arranging, singing, or instrumentation. Deep Purple and Kiss are by no means my favorite artists, but for my money there's a lot more talent on display in their work than in anything by the shoe-gazer / I-hate-myself / college-rock brigade.

attachicon.gifOut of Our Heads.gif attachicon.gifLZFAQ.gifattachicon.gifMagus.gif

I saw a documentary on, the ramones, where they talked about once they started touring outside of the ny area, over the years they would start to bands pop up, where before, there had been none. They inspired kids and rock fans to start bands and that was the 80s. These were kids who loved music and in that regard, even if they sucked, they started bands for nothing but good reasons. I think thats what dave grohl was talking about, with garage rock and so forth. With the ramones, nirvana, replacements etc. i think they created some authentic and good rock music. Thats a very organic way about going about music, as opposed to american idol and this whole being on a stage notion. I guess thats what dave grohl was talkin about.

In regards to the technical side of playing an instrument, i see what your saying.

That deep purple video posted on previous page, burn 74. It seemed like it was about 3 minutes too long for me. There was kind of a, everyone doing their parts twice feeling. To use that song as an example, its a great song, great riff. But the vehicle of a rock song, what makes it work…isn't that different than a grunge rock song imo.

With the terms, slacker rock, heroin rock, grunge, or as you say, i hate myself themed rock….that seems like the music industry sort of repeating that stuff and it negates the music in a way. Its like led zep being called acid rock. But it could be called, modern world blues or anything, it doesn't matter. Grunge is the term that stuck and it kind of describes the guitar sound.

The RnRHoF is and will always be completely meaningless. It's a neat tourist attraction but beyond that it's just the industry jacking itself off.

I think they are doing their best to keep it from becoming meaningless. They have a lot of years to go and i guess its more of an idea, the hall of fame….than a place. I know i already spent more than too much time listening to music and i have no desire to go to the hall of fame and buy a coffee mug.

From what i see, the rock and roll hall of fame biggest problem, is to not become totally uncool. For mass music fans, i guess it will be a disneyland. But we all know there is a large segment of music fans who are the renegades, the anti mainstream folks. Thats so, for rock, country, hip hop and most of all…punk. The underground…thats sorta why bootlegs are so popular isn't it. This rock hall of fame is gonna have to create a balance….and just not become uncool. Because for music fans, thats what matters.

By the time Robert Plant went solo there wasn't anything groundbreaking in rock because it had all been done before.

Let's Put the X in Sex, Heaven's On Fire and Love Em Leave Em should all be bigger than Stairway to Heaven.

Bang Bang You should be a national anthem, ideally Japan's.

Joerg, you've had one too many German beers. Deep Purple on par with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones? Well, I hear Jerry Lewis is a god in France. :peace:

And somebody has had too much Sake

That's one Deep Purple hit song, now name another.

After another beer I would guess that in Germany more people can name two Purple songs than two Zeppelin songs, because Child in Time and Smoke On The Water together are more popular than Stairway and Whole Lotta Love ;-)

And do you remember the Amusement Park scene in Spinal Tap? Regarding the chart success of the solo projects today in Germany Blackmore's Night are the puppet show and Robert Plant is Spinal Tap ;-)

After another beer I would guess that in Germany more people can name two Purple songs than two Zeppelin songs, because Child in Time and Smoke On The Water together are more popular than Stairway and Whole Lotta Love ;-)

And do you remember the Amusement Park scene in Spinal Tap? Regarding the chart success of the solo projects today in Germany Blackmore's Night are the puppet show and Robert Plant is Spinal Tap ;-)

Deep Purple/Richie Blackmore were (and remain) massively popular in Germany, no question about it. Robert can count on drawing the die hard Led Zeppelin fans anywhere he goes.

With or without more sake and beer.. What's the reason for the totally different acceptance of Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin in the States and Germany? Not enough blues but too much Bach and Beethoven?

post-17547-0-26983500-1387752733_thumb.j

With or without more sake and beer.. What's the reason for the totally different acceptance of Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin in the States and Germany? Not enough blues but too much Bach and Beethoven?

It's a fair question Joerg, but I'm not sure there is a definitive answer.

I would say you could well be right with regard to German's having a greater appreciation for Deep Purple's classically-influenced musical passages.

Here in Germany Deep Purple had 7 No. 1 albums and Led Zeppelin 2. So they are indeed in different leagues. Deep Purple in one with the Beatles, Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin in one with Black Sabbath and Supertramp ;-)

So what Germany gave Britney Spears and Michael Jackson a bunch of number 1 albums along with Deep Purple, what's your point? Led Zeppelin are still artistic giants

• 5 months later...

I know and realize that a lot of people on this Forum do not give a Shit about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (and do not take much stock in it), however, I think that Deep Purple and Yes deserve to be in it more than someone like Peter Gabriel. I never got into his solo music because it was to boring/mellow or to cerebral for me (with the exception of "Shock the Monkey"). Again, Just MY Opinion.

FUCK the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame - I HATE how artists let themselves be used as way to give the Hall legitimacy. Music is not like skiing stats or baseball, it’s about the individual feelings and stuff that each listener has. If an artist gets in the only people they should acknowledge are the fans who stuck with them through thick and thin NOT Rolling Stone magazine or the critics and NOT the hall….

Archived