LZ 1 vs ITTOD

McSeven

So when you hear the albums. Do they sound like they are from the same band? What is better or worse about the extreems of both era's.

To me its like 1979 was a period where no one wanted to rock except Judas Priest/AcDc. ITTOD sound like and album in 1979 and it sounds poppy and dated. I really can't make the connection from ITTOD to LZ its like I am listening to 2 different bands. Even Jimmys guitar army sound weak. Bonzo is the only one that seems to sound the same.

I wonder why there is such a difference. When I listen to other bands they don't sound that different. Even the Stones/Heart//The Doors/Hendrix, they don't sound as aged as LZ does on ITTOD. They were all still young men. They sound like they are 50. AcDc still has this sound that still makes them sound the same except less funky from the Bon Scott era.

In Through The Out Door is my 2nd fav album by Zeppelin. To me it's an album embracing new sounds and styles and shows a band reaching for something off in the horizon. All My Love, In The Evening, Carouselambra, and Fool In The Rain are some of my fav Zeppelin songs.

To my ears, Zeppelin didn't get into a groove of change and unique sounds until the 2nd album onwards, I thought the first album was bit on the weak side

I tend to think it was just changing times. The members of Led Zeppelin in 1979 were worlds apart from who they were in 1969. Also Jones and Plant were more involved in the album than Page/Bonham.

I can understand why it might sound dated, but this year I've really come to appreciate ITTOD. There's some great moments on it. Easily in my top 4.

Stupid comment all around, and to even bring up AC DC??? I like their stuff with Bon Scott but Brian Johnson sucks and every album since Those About to Rock sound exactly the same.

Zep I - Just coming together and getting their footing

ITTOD - A mature band trying new sounds and exploring new directions.

Led Zeppelin 1 and ITTOD are both incredible albums, and both are revolutionary in their own right. Although some say that ITTOD sounds dated, it is a permanent documentary of where Led Zeppelin were in 1979. I was there when this album was released, and it was extremely in keeping with the times, and was actually quite cutting edge for a hard rock band. Ironically, when I first got the album and threw it on the turntable, I said to my friend, "They got a new singer." Robert sounded as I had never heard him before, as he belted out the lyrics to In the Evening. All of the Zeppelin albums are incredible, but LZ1 and ITTOD are probably the two most important. Doesn't ITTOD just make you want to know what they would have done next, and where they were headed? It does me. A total change of direction, with so much potential and opportunity to follow. In many ways it was akin to Led Zeppelin III, in that it set us on our ear, and made us think.

In my neck if the woods. I have seen ITTOD in the bargin bin out of all the albums that Zep produced. I guess my question is that to my ears. Zep 1 and ITTOD seem so extreme to me.

If I listen to Presence. I can still feel that old school Zep. ITTOD sound like they got back together after being apart for 10 yrs. It just sound flat. Its not like when Zep reformed that they do ITTOD songs. I know they did some ITTOD stuff when Page and Plant went out on there solo stuff. Presence at least had 2 songs at the O2. Why could Zep not fit in at least Fool in the Rain. They could have cut out Dazed. Even though Dazed is a classic.

When we all talk about songs here or on other message boards or I see cover Zep bands. None of them cover ITTOD.

All I am saying is that for me. I can't really feel that old school Zep sound. When i listen to early Stone/Beatles/Who. I can still feel their signiture sound I will give you one thing. I guess the into to the In the Evening has that Zep drone sound from Kashmir.

ITTOD sounds like Led Zeppelin to me..

Jimmy Page calls it a transitional album which I think sums it up perfectly... and who are we to argue with him?

Listen to I'm Gonna Crawl and In The Evening again ... pure Led Zeppelin.

It's all Zeppelin.. but IGC could have fit on any of their albums.. The strings make it a sound a little different, but it's a pure blues just like SIBLY and Tea for One.

In The Evening could fit any album as well.

LZ1 and ITTOD ARE different,.. but so aren't LZ1 and HOTH..

Houses probably got the same type of reaction when it was released as Out Door.. In fact it got slammed pretty bad by most critics.. but they followed it up with the massive PG..

I'd also love to have heard what was coming after the transitional ITTOD.. I think it would have been epic.

I think that time has not treated ITTOD very well, as that era of music, no matter what band you are talking about, has fallen from vogue. There was a time when people reflected back on the 1970's as the worst era in rock, but that perception has changed. The late '70's sound is about to turn the corner as well, and become fashionable again; at that time ITTOD will see a Renaissance. ITTOD is much like Black Sabbath's Never Say Die album: often maligned, but coming into its own with each passing year. I highly respect ITTOD because it showed such depth and a refusal by Zeppelin to be pigeon holed. It truly is every bit as important as LZ III in terms of their versatility and direction.

LZ3 was a transitional album.. I don't think the 4th album could have happened without 3.

Same for Houses and PG..

Caress of Steel - 2112 etc..

I'd love to hear what ITTOD was leading up to..

The thing that hurt ITTOD for me when I first heard it was all the piano.. I love piano and John Paul Jones is obviously a master player, but 3 piano dominated songs in a row was a little much to take.. I remember my 1st impression when Hot Dog came on was there was way too much piano. Now it makes more sense that JPJ was leading the helm because Jimmy was in rough shape. But at the time it was odd... "Where's Jimmy?"

It has grown on me over the years but the lack of input from Jimmy does make it a different thing. Still sounds like Zeppelin though. I think 3 has aged much better than ITTOD.

I love all the piano and synths; not because I am madly in love with the instruments, but because I love diversity and progression. They managed to maintain much of the status quo, that fans demanded, but they also integrated enough diversity to make it different and special. They really did strike an amazing balance, IMO. I suppose that I love the fact that depending on my mood, I can listen to the heavy rock and blues of LZ 1, or the acoustic meanderings of LZ III, or the bright and progressive sounds of ITTOD. LZ, a band for every mood! One of my music room treasures:

001b_zps5d70d6d0.jpg

I think it's great! Led Zeppelin is a band that was very rarely mediocre and even if each album was something totally new, it was still obviously recognizable it was Zep!

New sounds, new approaches, yet never boring or unrecognizable! Just amazing!

And just when you think Plant's voice has changed a bit too much or became to balladerish, you get I'm gonna crawl! Just great!

I think it's great! Led Zeppelin is a band that was very rarely mediocre and even if each album was something totally new, it was still obviously recognizable it was Zep!

New sounds, new approaches, yet never boring or unrecognizable! Just amazing!

And just when you think Plant's voice has changed a bit too much or became to balladerish, you get I'm gonna crawl! Just great!

Nicely put. I completely agree.

Thanks! It's just how I really feel! It's my favourite band obviously, but I think something like Carouselambra is just damn good! Some of those string keyboard bridges, Bonzo's rolls and even Jimmy little touches all add up to Plant's melodies and make it recognizably Zep!

Not my favourite on record, but just an example!

Two entirely different albums. You can't compare the two. I love bands that don't sound the same from beginning til end - like Zep or the Beatles. It gets old when you do the same type of shit for how long you've been at it.

Yeah, like fucking AC DC!!!! Same old shitty albums, year after year. God forbid Brian Johnson quits singing in that crappy falsetto or Angus learns a different riff.

Yeah, like fucking AC DC!!!! Same old shitty albums, year after year. God forbid Brian Johnson quits singing in that crappy falsetto or Angus learns a different riff.

I think these are the two greatest AC/DC songs. These are Great AC/DC's songs that you will not hear on American Classic Rock radio stations.

http://youtu.be/9tqIOE- rPJU

and

I agree and would add its pointless to compare any of LZ's LP's. They are all fantastic pieces of music; a little of everything on each and every one. It's like two girlfriends from the past that were both great, just different and with LZ's LP's you don't have to pay alimony; some of you will get that. :toast:

I remember in Jr High when LZ III came out.....we all thought it was crap compared to the first two. How wrong we were and by the time I hit college it was my favorite and still is to this day, but enjoy them all!

Favorite Live Song: several versions of 1977 No Quarter

Favorite studio Song: Since I've been loving you.

It will change tomorrow and thats due to LZ's creativity....and I agree, every AC/DC song sounds pretty much the same. They have energy and seem to really enjoy touring still.... I give them that, but after the 3rd song you kinda know whats going to hit you next.

My go to in this case would be LZI - I think it's pretty diverse compared to ITTOD. From GTBT - White Summer - Your Time Is - & closing with HMMT... you get a lot of variety over the two sides of the LP. IITOD's sound has a similar style/"sound" that sort of links all the tracks for me. And I think that's why I love Carouselambra so much. There's a ton of changes/styles/tempos in that track alone that makes you really pay attention to whats going on there + we have the buried vocals

There's a part of me that thinks to see what LZ would have been like in the 1980's I can't help but think of Plant's first record & saying something like - It would sound a little bit like Pictures at 11 only a lot heavier (IMHO).

Archived