Does Plant do too many Zep songs now?

I know some people might not like this but I think Plant is almost doing too many Zep songs now.

I was at Manchester last night and he pretty much said the same thing himself. Whilst I like a good Zep song as much as the next person i also wonder about the RP songs that don't get a chance very often that the Shapeshiftesr could really play with like Down to the Sea, Colours of the Shade, Your Man Said You Cried in Your Sleep Last Night, In the Mood, 29 Palms, Heaven Knows etc etc

I must admit it was refreshing to hear Big Log last night.

What do other people think?

Wow! That's an interesting thought.

I didn't think there was such a thing as too much Zep! :o

Me, I honestly could care less what his set-list is!

I enjoy every second of every song, every time I see him!

Zep songs are RP songs, the man can seriously still rock it on out! I am just glad he is still out there doing it! :)

i saw him in June and i thought there was a wonderful balance between his solo work and zeppelin. He played In the Mood btw, and it was spectacular. Wonder if he added in Big Log because of its increasing popularity from Grand Theft Auto 5 haha!

I know some people might not like this but I think Plant is almost doing too many Zep songs now.

What did RP actually say about that?

post-1183-0-13063700-1383186151.jpg

(Thanks LZNews for the setlist pic)

Out of a 15 song setlist 9 were LZ songs.

I think this comes down to the individual concert goer.The show I saw in Melbourne earlier this year was brilliant but I've admitted that was the first time I've seen Robert too.If he thinks he's doing too much Zep material then it's up to him to cull the setlist,or not.

Back in the Raising Sand days people were saying they wanted to hear RP perform more Zep songs,then others weren't happy with the way those versions were eventually performed.So,you see,he can't keep all of the people happy all of the time.

I think it's best left up to Robert.

When I saw him in July he did the following from his solo work:

In the Mood

Tin Pan Valley

Another Tribe

The Enchanter

Big Log

I LOVE his current version of Tin Pan Valley! It is such a hard rock song!

Two Zep songs I was very happy he did GTC and BIGLY because I never saw him perform those before, so I was thrilled! :D

i saw him in June and i thought there was a wonderful balance between his solo work and zeppelin. He played In the Mood btw, and it was spectacular. Wonder if he added in Big Log because of its increasing popularity from Grand Theft Auto 5 haha!

No, he actually played Big Log btw!!! ha!

What did RP actually say about that?

attachicon.gifsetlist,manchester.jpg

(Thanks LZNews for the setlist pic)

Out of a 15 song setlist 9 were LZ songs.

I think this comes down to the individual concert goer.The show I saw in Melbourne earlier this year was brilliant but I've admitted that was the first time I've seen Robert too.If he thinks he's doing too much Zep material then it's up to him to cull the setlist,or not.

Back in the Raising Sand days people were saying they wanted to hear RP perform more Zep songs,then others weren't happy with the way those versions were eventually performed.So,you see,he can't keep all of the people happy all of the time.

I think it's best left up to Robert.

The answer is there if 9 of of 15 songs were Zep. That's a lot of good RP solo stuff being missed out

Frankly, Robert's renditions of Led Zeppelin material with this lineup bore me to tears. Good grief, Black Dog should have been put out of its misery five years ago.

I wouldn't go that far, Babe as the starting song was stunning and some of the others were really good. I think it was actually Black Dog that made me think ... ohh not again. His version doesn't do it justice.

Well, he has 31 years of solo work since LZ, so maybe whatever the set list somebody is not going to be happy.... it is a tradition dating back to Bob Dylan using a electric guitar...I'm.treading on eggshells here.

Frankly, Robert's renditions of Led Zeppelin material with this lineup bore me to tears. Good grief, Black Dog should have been put out of its misery five years ago. I

Nice group of great musicians but I'm ready to hear the new music they're supposedly working on. Then I'll know if I really care or not. So far it's just been, "hey...look...I can do these songs I've done a million times in another way with new people." I went and saw a show and it was good in comparison to other things that are out there but wasn't anywhere close to me being able to say "the best show of my life" like some others have said. I guess I'm more in the camp of "there's a lot of talent on that stage so use it to do something"

Nice group of great musicians but I'm ready to hear the new music they're supposedly working on. Then I'll know if I really care or not. So far it's just been, "hey...look...I can do these songs I've done a million times in another way with new people." I went and saw a show and it was good in comparison to other things that are out there but wasn't anywhere close to me being able to say "the best show of my life" like some others have said. I guess I'm more in the camp of "there's a lot of talent on that stage so use it to do something"

i kinda of agree as i really loved strange sensation and RP did say that he'd left them writing stuff when he went off to the states. Let hope for some new stuff.

I never went to see him with Krauss and BOJ because tbh no matter how good musically it was i thought strange sensation wouldn't be topped with MOR Americana

Frankly, Robert's renditions of Led Zeppelin material with this lineup bore me to tears. Good grief, Black Dog should have been put out of its misery five years ago.

I'm not a huge fan of his "Black Dog"...but everything else sounds good to my ears. Good enough that I've bought two of his 2012 concerts!

I was at the Royal Albert Hall Bluesfest gig last night and I thought I'd share a couple of early reviews:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/nov/01/robert-plant-sensational-space-shifters-review

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/live-music-reviews/10420684/Robert-Plant-and-the-Sensational-Shape-Shifters-Bluesfest-2013-Royal-Albert-Hall-review.html

The Telegraph reviewer says "it's intriguing how much Zeppelin material still survives" in RP's set ... which misses the point. But the Guardian reviewer nails it : " a markedly unusual preponderance of Led Zeppelin songs" .

That's what struck me. I've seen him a few times in recent years and have followed the odd review - but I've not seen him embrace quite so much of the Zep catalogue.

And although we're told (in the Guardian review) that he "cracked open" Whole Lotta Love (to add in an African/US blues section), what was more striking was how much of it was left UN-cracked-open. The central section, while very different, was fabulous AND consistent with the rest of the song (and anyway he was hardly going to bring on a theremin). But on either side of that was a VERY straight rendition: it rocked. Both Whole Lotta Love and What Is and What Should Never Be were very faithful to the originals, and without approaching the huge Zep sound, were closer to it, and thrillingly more riff-driven than I'd expected. For me, WIAWSNB in particular was breathtaking.

I can't imagine Robert NOT departing from the template in one or another way, and several songs either began deceptively as something else, before resolving into the songs they actually were, or they reached a half-way point and then moved off into another place.

I don't know if I'm imagining this, or at least exaggerating what I found, but it did strike me. I have sometimes mistrusted the way that RP's restless expansiveness and invention, wonderful as they are, have been so enthusiastically applied to Zep songs. It has sometimes seemed either a gilding of the lily, or laden with his "I've moved on" mission statement.

Possibly it's a mark of confidence that he didn't feel the need to do that so much. He had every right to be confident in some amazing musicians, a gorgeous setlist, fabulous sound and his own massively assured performance. But who knows why? Of course I could be reading too much into it , but that's how it struck me.

I could go on - and I don't want to give the impression that these Zep songs were the only exciting thing: absolutely not the case. Just trying, for once, to stay on-topic.

This is sort of off topic but has John Paul Jones performed any songs from Zep's catalog during his post-Zep performances?

Yes.

I saw him on the Zooma and Thunderthief tours.

Not sure If I caught them all ... but he definitely played...

When The Levee Breaks (Bass Lap Steel)

Trampled Underfoot (Keyboard)

No Quarter (Keyboard)

Black Dog (Bass Lap Steel)

Thar's the Way (Mandolin and vocals)

He also just played the opening riff to Heartbreaker ...on ... I don't know an 8 or 10 string Bass ... sounded massive,

As far as the original question goes I don't think Robert does too many Zeppelin numbers..

I haven't liked his new interpretations of some of them though..

Yes I saw him on the Zooma and Thunderthief tours

Not sure If I caught them all ... but he definitely played

No Quarter (Keyboard)

He also just played the opening riff to Heartbreaker ...on ... I don't know an 8 or 10 string Bass ... sounded massive,

Th

Yes I saw him on the Zooma and Thunderthief tours

Not sure If I caught them all ... but he definitely played

No Quarter (Keyboard)

Thanks Chase. I also heard him do NFBM on Bass Lap Steel and it was awesome. I don't remember what concert this was from.

Th

Thanks Chase. I also heard him do NFBM on Bass Lap Steel and it was awesome. I don't remember what concert this was from.

You're welcome .. and thank you... I forgot about that

He played NFBM at The Guitar Wars in 2004 with Steve Hackett, Paul Gilbert, Pat Mastelotto,.Nuno Bettencourt etc...

And if SSS do a new album and tour with it and they do less Zep numbers there will be people saying " he's not doing enough Zep numbers" cos thats what they said back in 83 when he first toured.

A no win situation for him methinks.

Archived