Does Plant do too many Zep songs now?

You're welcome .. and thank you... I forgot about that

He played NFBM at The Guitar Wars in 2004 with Steve Hackett, Paul Gilbert, Pat Mastelotto,.Nuno Bettencourt etc...

That's it!! Thanks for posting the vid Chase. Jonsey is really rocking!! It never ceases to amaze me how people are still so fascinated with all things Zeppelin.

And if SSS do a new album and tour with it and they do less Zep numbers there will be people saying " he's not doing enough Zep numbers" cos thats what they said back in 83 when he first toured.

A no win situation for him methinks.

I don't disagree, but the difference is in '83 he'd only toured North America twice from '76-'82 and only performed two full length concerts in the UK during the same period. Thirty one years later the Led Zeppelin material has been revisited, reworked, re-imagined countless times. It's well past time to restrict the Led Zeppelin material to one or two numbers, or at least put Black Dog out of it's misery.

This problem is quite old. It dates back to pretty much every group who have broken up and now perform solo. Classic example: The Beatles.

Paul's Solo/Wings/Pseudonym [RAM, The Fireman] output is huge. I mean HUGE. If you take an average of 11 songs per album [That's a pretty accurate average actually since most of his albums have 10-13 tracks.] and exclude the Twin Freak [That album is an abomination.], you get 17 albums. 11*17 = 187 songs. You get the idea.

This is roughly Paul's current setlist for his tours [subject to occasional change]:

Beatle Songs: 24

Rest: 12

Can you understand what's going on here?

A talented musician whose output is so vast dedicates only 1/3 or 33% of it in his live shows. Thats it.

This is upsetting me, personally, as all of his post-Beatles songs are great and some just as good as his Beatle work.

Why does this happen? Well, the truth of the matter is, unfortunately, that Macca fans are least-interested in his 70s afterward work. Let alone for his RAM or Fireman. Sure, for Wings, there is quite a fanbase and thats exactly the reason why Wings songs dominate more than solo works.Everybody comes to his concert for his Beatles songs. There may be a few who enjoy his solo stuff, though not many. Its a bit sad really that for a legend of Sir Paul McCartney's stature to have 60%+ of his live setlist Beatle songs.

Coming back, fans who come to Robert Plant's concerts aren't really interested in his post-Led Zeppelin work. There may be a small section of the audience who has listen to his solo stuff, but then again, how many? I'd reckon not a very large portion, honestly. More than not liking post-LZ work, the concert-goers aren't even aware of his solo works. That's not an exaggeration, I can assure you.

That's that.

All hail, ROBERT PLANT!

And for someone that doesn't want to tour with Led Zeppelin, he sure plays a lot of Zep songs. Pulling our chains if you ask me.

Jeff

"At least someone on here gets it." :P

Seriously though....I guess he just doesn't want to play Jimmy's version of Zep. I'm ok with his renditions though, they might get a little stale after a while though.

And for someone that doesn't want to tour with Led Zeppelin, he sure plays a lot of Zep songs.

They're his songs too,why wouldn't he want to perform them if people want to hear them?

It's up to the Capricorns now,remember?

Pulling our chains if you ask me.

Planty puts together a band of very good musicians and outlays a large amount of money to tour many parts of the world just to pull our chains,and I'll bet he's instructed The Sensational Space Shifters to "Look like you're enjoying it,boys!".

Yes,he's such a trickster. :witch:

I had thought this kind of rhetoric was almost outdated. :beat:

And if SSS do a new album and tour with it and they do less Zep numbers there will be people saying " he's not doing enough Zep numbers" cos thats what they said back in 83 when he first toured.

A no win situation for him methinks.

Hi ledded!

Well stated!...because if Robert does something different next year (as you can never tell with Robert) and doesn't sing any or a few Led Zeppelin songs ^^that is what would happen! :peace:

It does seem a bit tilted toward Zep. And when you consider he's probably done TWICE as many solo songs as Zep songs (the entire Zep catalog is only about 90 songs I believe)....and some of his solo work is just sssoooo good! Yeah, he needs to dust off some of the RP solo stuff too and resurrect that.

Nice setlist of McCartney, always LOVED the song 1985! Glad to see he's playing that these days. I believe it came out in the 70s

You're welcome .. and thank you... I forgot about that

He played NFBM at The Guitar Wars in 2004 with Steve Hackett, Paul Gilbert, Pat Mastelotto,.Nuno Bettencourt etc...

Goddam man, that was good! Thanks for that!

Pardon my ignorance, but is that just a slide guitar Jonesy is playing or something a little more?

Wow Chase that was great! I saw him at 328 Performance Hall (now defunct) In Nashville, with King Crimson.

Small hall held about 300, had about 500 that night I'm guessing. Had a guy on Chapman stick, they absolutely

rocked. He used a keyboard stand that had his Zep symbols on it. I thought he had retired to producing at this

time. Boy was I ever wrong! He's pretty amazing....still.

I think he does Zep now because the fans expect it.

Personally, I believe that Zeppelin songs are much more adaptable to rearrangements than his own solo work, because of their diversity, which makes them an obvious roll over choice with all of his musical directions during the past 15 years. But as was said earlier, time to put the family dog down - IMO - it's had enough already.

A week ago I was taking in all those "too many" LZ songs at the RAH...what a show, what a night! I still get goose bumps when I think to the verse he sang form IMTOD!

Yes far to many Zep songs at the RAH. What a way to end the bluesfest. A great night.

Archived