What kind of reaction would hot dog have gotten had they played it in America?

Psychedelic

The folks in Texas would have loved it!

This is just my comment and opinion but I think the Texans (of which I am One) would not like it just because there is the lyric, "I'm never going to Texas anymore". I realize this is just a lyric and a tongue-in-cheek lyric from Robert.

I have read or heard somewhere that Dallas, Texas is one of Robert's favorite American cities.

This is just my comment and opinion but I think the Texans (of which I am One) would not like it just because there is the lyric, "I'm never going to Texas anymore". I realize this is just a lyric and a tongue-in-cheek lyric from Robert.

I have read or heard somewhere that Dallas, Texas is one of Robert's favorite American cities.

Well, god forbid those Texans get their panties in a whirl, they may threaten to secede or something.

I figure anyone who gets upset by song lyrics (unless they are blatantly racist or misogynistic) is an idiot and a douche. People need to get over themselves.

I like Hot Dog, I think it is an awesome song. Before I became a vegan I loved hot dogs too!

Thats cool Sue! Had no idea. I always interpreted the song as an expression of their disfavour of touring the states anymore.

I dont get what you mean as everything they have did I love and I live in America!!

I don't live in America, Canadian...lol, but i do really enjoy this song especially as a nice break on ITTOD.

This is assuming it would have stayed in the set, but maybe it was a European thing?

Um, no, there is nothing European about "Hot Dog". Of course it would have stayed in the set...I would have bet my bottom dollar on that. "Hot Dog" would have been received warmly on the 1980 North American tour. The song was played often on radio at the time and it fit in with the prevailing impulse in rock music to rein in the self-indulgent musical displays and keep songs short and snappy. Despite what some people may think because of a lyric or two, Texas probably would have loved it the most...well, maybe Oklahoma. :D

Doesn't he live in Dallas currently?

I thought it was Austin, TX?

I think it comes off much better live than the studio version.. It sounded great at Knebworth..

It would've been a highlight - a foot-stompin', hand clappin' hoedown!

+1 and +1! :thumbsup:

Absolutely! You are both correct in your assessment. "Hot Dog" works well live in concert. I was looking forward to hearing it on the 1980-81 tour.

The local classic rock station's daily Get the Led Out features three Zeppelin songs. The final one is based on an online listener vote. Yesterday was the first time the DJ could recall "Hot Dog" winning. It's not just for Texans ;-)

Only three songs?

I always interpreted the song as an expression of their disfavour of touring the states anymore.

I still don't get how someone could interpret the song in this manner? It is obviously about a relationship.

I think ITTOD has many lyrics that relate to roberts feelings of touring like mad in the states for years...I think this whole album has a very big meaning of loss for robert personally, i also think it showed how much the band were struggling to stay together at this point. There was division and it shows in the production of the some of the songs too, too much keyboard on some, too much robert on some, and others have robert tuned out of the mix to favour a more physical approach instead of spoken word dominance.

I wouldn't think any native Texans would have an issue with the lyrics. After all, it's about a Texas chick doing him wrong.....I would think most guys, or girls for that matter could relate to that.

Yeah Sue, he's down in Austin (part time), not too far from Dallas, but a world away , culturally speaking.

Archived