Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
McSeven

Zeppelin hitting it big from the start

With today's bands struggling to make it big. It seems like a lot bands don't have the staying power, and can't bang out a lot of albums these days.

Did Zeppelin hit right away for those of you that grew up with them. I was born in 1971 and I did not have a feel for them until 1988 when Robert Plant was in his Now and Zen phase.

Yup. Their first album was an ear turner, and it was the cutting edge of the "new" music that was coming out as the flower power era started to fade. Ozzy Osbourne and Tony Iommi both credit Led Zeppelin I and Led Zeppelin II as very influential in the formation of their sound. Jimi H. defintely alluded to it, but Led Zeppelin really brought the new sound to the public. Heavy metal had not been coined yet, but LZ were instrumental in bringing the genre about. LZ I had a wow factor about it, for sure.

Edited by The Dark Lord

Hello there Dark Lord my fellow Canuck. I was just curious. Because some bands needed time to get aquainted in the public eye when it comes to music. Its not like Def Leppard of Bon Jovi or even Judas Priest were massive when their first album hit.

In my neck of the woods. Led Zeppelin is very popular. Funny thing I as a Black man, am more into them than the music I should have been more into like 1980's hip hop and I don't know what it is. My ear are very tailor made for music like Led Zeppelin and all their peers. I really think they and the band of their generation really made the best type of music.

Agreed buddy. The music of that era was amazing. I forgot to mention Cream, as founders of the new sound. Do you like Sabbath? Great band too.

Well also Zeppelin got the biggest contract at Atlantic record for a "new band". The fact that Jimmy was already a famous session player and JPJ also ment something in the music industry when they were forming, many important people knew that this band was gonna crack it!!! Of course the other thing is that they really made it with their first album. No doubt. They could also not live up to their expectations... but they did...

Today, when a big promoter catches a young band, he can make them big. With money and good marketing background, anyone can be famous. Problem is that GOOD musicians wont get these contracts - why would they. Promoters DO NOT NEED good musicians...

Also, there is much much more musicians nowadays, thats why they strugle. Offer is much higher then demand at music industry. Instruments are relatively cheap and anyone can play them. There is so many good bands out there now, that of course not even 1 out of 1000 can make it big... But that is ok if people are doing music for fun, not for making it big, right? ;).