AEROSMITH

bengoalie21ledzepp

Stones have to place higher than Aerosmith, who are the poor man's version of them.

Can't say I really hear a lot of Stones in Aerosmith's music, they always struck me more as an amped up version of the Yardbirds. I always thought the Stones comparisons came from more of a visual standpoint with Tyler and Jagger or even Tyler/Perry and Jagger/Richards.

Truly America's greatest rock band.......

One of the greatest but the greatest? I'm not so sure I'd agree with that especially since there's so many other very worthy contenders such as the Grateful Dead, the Beach Boys, The Band, CCR, the Black Crowes, R.E.M., Pearl Jam, the Replacements, etc. and that's just scraping the tip of the iceberg. I will always love Aerosmith's early albums but they've faltered greatly since regrouping. They still kick ass live though.

One of the greatest but the greatest? I'm not so sure I'd agree with that especially since there's so many other very worthy contenders such as the Grateful Dead, the Beach Boys, The Band, CCR, the Black Crowes, R.E.M., Pearl Jam, the Replacements, etc. and that's just scraping the tip of the iceberg. I will always love Aerosmith's early albums but they've faltered greatly since regrouping. They still kick ass live though.

One of the greatest. Agree, and don't forget the Guns and Roses.

But between all oh them, Aerosmith is the best. That's my opinion.

One of the greatest. Agree, and don't forget the Guns and Roses.

But between all oh them, Aerosmith is the best. That's my opinion.

I don't even consider Guns n' Rosees to be a contender for best American band. I love Aerosmith but they're not even in the same league as groups like The Band or artists like Bob Dylan. Not even fucking close...

This thread is a joke, right? Aerosmith is not even in the top twenty all-time bands. They were great in the 70's but other then a few songs, their newer stuff sucks...pure cheese. Hate to sound mean but they were better on drugs. :(

might as well jump in.

sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that likes Draw the Line.

For me, the 4 in a row through the mid 70's were the bomb:

Get Your Wings

Toys in the Attic

Rocks

Draw the Line

Kings and Queens, Draw the line, Sight for Sore eyes - awesome.

their stuff nowadays, meh.

I've got a few guilty pleasures, Cryin', The Other Side, but pretty much anything past those 4 70's releases are meh for me.

If we make some distinction between the bands mentioned in some posts above, then surely Aerosmith will fair at the top. Logically, if we compare bands the Dead, The Band, etc. with the 'Smith, then we can discuss this further. :)

Even if I distinguished Aerosmith as an American "hard rock" band I still wouldn't put 'em near the top, that honor would go to Pearl Jam. Don't get me wrong though, I'm definitely an Aerosmith fan but they dropped the ball long ago. To my ears Pearl Jam have been much more consistent throughout their career. In the "rootsy" category Los Lobos definitely deserve a mention alongside Dylan, CCR, the Grateful Dead, the Neville Brothers, the Band, etc. As far as "alternative" is concerned, R.E.M. stands head and shoulders above the rest. Though an argument could be made that Pearl Jam also fall into that category. Thus is the trouble with labeling music to start with. I'm a fan of them all.

PUT the

CRACK PIPE

DOWN!!!

Son, Aerosmith isn't close to being the second greatest band of all-time, and

they're not even in the running for greatest American band anymore, not after

nearly 30 years of cheese.

They had their day, sure, even were good in concert for awhile...but not as good

as the Black Crowes are live.

So let's see, Black Crowes, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynrd, Neil Young & Crazy Horse,

Bob Dylan, the Band, DLR-era Van Halen...those are just a few North American bands

better than Aerosmith.

To think of Aerosmith as the second best band of all time after Led Zeppelin is quite a stretch. In fact, if Tom Scholtz and co. didn't have their issues; I doubt Aerosmith would be considered the best band to come out of the city of Boston.

I think these (rock/hard rock) bands are certainly considered bigger/better by more people than just me:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Eagles

The Who

Cream

AC/DC

Jimi Hendrix

Rush

U2

and maybe Van Halen

Who did Aerosmith influence, or what is their major impact?

- Are they godfathers of heavy metal like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest? No.

- Did they bring a new musical genre to the forefront like The Allman Bros and Lynyrd Skynyrd did for Southern Rock? No.

- Did they usher in a new sound of rock music like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and others did with Grunge rock? No.

- Did they influence pop culture and styles like Motley Crue, Ratt, and other hair bands of the 80's? No.

- Do they have a signature look that is known world wide like KISS? No.

- Does everyone know every fricken song they ever wrote like CCR because they have both AM and FM appeal? :D No.

- Was Aerosmith ever the biggest band in the world at any time in their history? I don't think so.

- Are any of their members considered in the greatest of all time for anything? No.

- Can everyone name all or most of the members of this group? No.

- Is their drummer even the best drummer in the band? No.

- Does their singer have a big mouth with big lips and prance around like Mick Jagger, and is jealous Jimmy Page stole his girlfriend? YES.

- Does their lead guitarist wish more than anything to be Jimmy Page, Jr. - the next guitar hero? YES.

- Do they make good videos? Yes.

- Do they sell a lot of albums? Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I give them a lot of credit for their longevity. They are a good band, and very entertaining, but nowhere near the 2nd band of all time. If they are for you, great, but I am sure most people would reject that thought (although I didn't read everyone's responses). To me, some of their music borders on "pop", and I wouldn't say they are musically diverse enough to chart off into different areas. They are a radio band, at least since they got back together.

My opinion. To each their own.

To think of Aerosmith as the second best band of all time after Led Zeppelin is quite a stretch. In fact, if Tom Scholtz and co. didn't have their issues; I doubt Aerosmith would be considered the best band to come out of the city of Boston.

I think these (rock/hard rock) bands are certainly considered bigger/better by more people than just me:

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Eagles

The Who

Cream

AC/DC

Jimi Hendrix

Rush

U2

and maybe Van Halen

Who did Aerosmith influence, or what is their major impact?

- Are they godfathers of heavy metal like Black Sabbath and Judas Priest? No.

- Did they bring a new musical genre to the forefront like The Allman Bros and Lynyrd Skynyrd did for Southern Rock? No.

- Did they usher in a new sound of rock music like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and others did with Grunge rock? No.

- Did they influence pop culture and styles like Motley Crue, Ratt, and other hair bands of the 80's? No.

- Does everyone know every fricken song they ever wrote like CCR because they have both AM and FM appeal? :D No.

- Was Aerosmith ever the biggest band in the world at any time in their history? I don't think so.

- Are any of their members considered in the greatest of all time for anything? No.

- Can everyone name all or most of the members of this group? No.

- Is their drummer even the best drummer in the band? No.

- Does their singer have a big mouth with big lips and prance around like Mick Jagger, and is jealous Jimmy Page stole his girlfriend? YES.

- Does their lead guitarist wish more than anything to be Jimmy Page, Jr. - the next guitar hero? YES.

- Do they make good videos? Yes.

- Do they sell a lot of albums? Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I give them a lot of credit for their longevity. They are a good band, and very entertaining, but nowhere near the 2nd band of all time. If they are for you, great, but I am sure most people would reject that thought (although I didn't read everyone's responses). To me, some of their music borders on "pop", and I wouldn't say they are musically diverse enough to chart off into different areas. They are a radio band, at least since they got back together.

My opinion. To each their own.

Throw in Black Sabbath and Deep Purple too

Besides their "issues", I'd say Boston's biggest problem was making the exact same album over and over again. Aerosmith made not have made a thoroughly decent album since Rocks but they've never made the same album twice. Boston also painted themselves into a corner by being such a overly polished studio band, they never could pull off that sound live.

How did Motley Crue, Ratt and the other "hair" bands of the 80s influence "pop culture"? I think Aerosmith influenced a lot of artists, and not just in the "hair" metal category. In that category I'd say look no further than Cinderella for a band that was heavily influenced by Aerosmith but they weren't the one by far.

Tyler's scarves are a huge part of their "signature" look.

So let's see, Black Crowes, Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynrd, Neil Young & Crazy Horse,

Bob Dylan, the Band, DLR-era Van Halen...those are just a few North American bands

better than Aerosmith.

As I understand it, North America isn't part of the equation, it's America so that excludes Canadian artists such Neil. Not sure whether to consider The Band American or Canadian as all of the members except for Levon Helm hailed from Canada. Even if they are officially considered Canadian the music they made definitely had it's roots in American musical styles.

I'll take Lynyrd Skynyrd over Aerosmith every time.

Depends on which eras you're talking about. Back in the 70s it would have been neck and neck for me. These days, I'd take Aerosmith over the band that continues to call themselves Lynyrd Skynyrd. Even though I'm not so fond of Aerosmith's newer records, they at least still have all of their original members.

Can't say I agree with the statement that Aerosmith is second only to Led Zeppelin, that would be assuming everyone here's favorite band is Zep but they're not mine. My favorite band/artist would be the Beatles. Just because I post at a Led Zeppelin message board doesn't mean they're my favorite.

I don't understand people saying Bob Dylan, that isnt even a comparison, to any other BAND. He's an artist, not a band, so he can't even be considered in the "competition" for America's greatest band. Let's leave him out of it.

And YES, they ARE the greatest to come out of Boston. That's laughable to say that there's better from Boston.

I think many of you are being far too harsh on Aerosmith.

Sweet Emotion, Walk this way, back in the saddle, mama kin, same old song and dance, seasons of wither, dream on, last child, draw the line, Toys in the attic. there's too many great songs to name.

Sure their stuff wasn't as great after they reform, but still, Love in an elevator, cryin, livin on the edge, what it takes, the entire Honkin on Bobo album. Sure, its different from their stuff in the 70's, but hey, guess what!?!?! TIMES CHANGE. And have you seen them live???? Holy fuck they are still amazing.

and to say they were not an influence is total bullshit....c'mon, Slash was majorly influenced by them. Enough said. Let's move past the Aero-bashing.

might as well jump in.

sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world that likes Draw the Line.

For me, the 4 in a row through the mid 70's were the bomb:

Get Your Wings

Toys in the Attic

Rocks

Draw the Line

Kings and Queens, Draw the line, Sight for Sore eyes - awesome.

their stuff nowadays, meh.

I've got a few guilty pleasures, Cryin', The Other Side, but pretty much anything past those 4 70's releases are meh for me.

Those four albums (and the years during which they were released) are part of the era when I was most passionate about Aerosmoth their music, and their concerts. For me, personally, those were the glory years of Aerosmith. While their songs didn't resonate with me on the same levels that Zep's music did (and still does), those "Boston bastards" (as my friends and I called them) made what I consider to be great hard rock. When I'm in the mood to take a trip back to a certain time and place, I will put on one of those four albums and be instantly transported - and it's always a great trip. :D

I mentioned Bob Dylan but when I did, I made sure to specify him as an artist. In the context of discussing great American music I see no harm whatsover in mentioning him (as well as other artists) in the same breath as bands. In that context, it's all about great American music, not just singling out bands and artists. It may be worth pointing out that throughout his career Dylan has made a point of being backed by some great American bands such as The Band, the Grateful Dead and Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers.

Depends on which eras you're talking about. Back in the 70s it would have been neck and neck for me. These days, I'd take Aerosmith over the band that continues to call themselves Lynyrd Skynyrd. Even though I'm not so fond of Aerosmith's newer records, they at least still have all of their original members.

Was really talkin' about Skynyrd with Ronnie up until the crash in '77.

Like you, I don't really think of the 'reformed' Skynyrd as Skynyrd.

I've liked Aerosmith in the past but I'd easily take Skynyrd with Ronnie over them every time.

AHHHH, NOOOOOO. Tyler checks into rehab.....NOOO.

(Sorry to post something from Perez Hilton, he is the anti-Christ I'm convinced)

http://perezhilton.com/2008-05-21-getting-help-2

Awww. I felt really bad when I read this - to learn that, after all these years, he is still battling an addiction. :'(

Archived