The Death of Renisha Bryant

Disco Duck

The lesson here is don't knock on doors at 2:30am in America, but I already knew that. She'd have been better off going to a well lit place of business or, if none, staying put and using the horn as an S.O.S. device.

If someone I don't know knocks on my door at 2:30 am my first instinct is to call 911; not kill them. There is a lot we still don't know. Ms. McBride was in a car accident earlier that morning. We don't know if she was injured in the accident or if her car would still run afterwards.

If someone I don't know knocks on my door at 2:30 am my first instinct is to call 911; not kill them.

Although, to be fair, based on your history on this board, there is apparently NO circumstance where your instinct, first or otherwise, would be to kill someone.

Do you have any idea what the chances are the police will even respond to a 911 call for an unknown subject call in Dearborn Heights?

Somewhere between very slim and none.

Expecting citizens living in what is almost a war zone of crime and criminality to NOT initially suspect wrongdoing at 2:30 in the morning is being intentionally ignorant of the reality of life in that area.

Though nowhere in any of the links did I see a description of the race of the accused, it's fairly obvious they were white, or there would be no claims of racial profiling.

There is a lot we still don't know. Ms. McBride was in a car accident earlier that morning. We don't know if she was injured in the accident or if her car would still run afterwards.

2 hours earlier, according to the links.

And only 4 blocks away.

Why did it take 2 hours to get 4 blocks?

How many other homes did she pass to arrive at that particular home?

Already way too many questions for this to have any legitimacy as some intentional act as a result of racial profiling.

Even more unsettling is the distinct possibility that this has been chosen as the next media frenzy to help deflect news away from current news stories that are not holding up well to closer scrutiny.

Need to toss the media a new bone to focus on, and back off the current problems the Administration is facing to let them cool off and AGE, become less relevant.

“I think it was senseless,” he said. “Why would you shoot a lady? ... All she did is probably knock on his door.”

He claimed the weapon's discharge was accidental.

You can't determine a person's race or gender in the middle of the night.

I didn't see anything in the 3 links confirming she actually knocked on the door, only assumptions.

Again, too many conclusions being drawn without enough known facts.

Dawson and others called upon police and prosecutors to seek justice in the case.

Signs at the rally read “Justice for Renisha,” “Renisha could’ve been your daughter,” and “Don’t Shoot, I’m a Loving Black Woman,” with heart signs on it.

The rally was largely organized Thursday on social media by writer Dream Hampton, rapper Invincible, and Detroit activist Yusuf Shaker.

Speakers included activist Sam Riddle, who works for the Rev. Al Sharpton’s civil rights group, the National Action Network

The protesters were largely African American.

“I’m outraged that a 19-year-old has been shot in the face and no one has been arrested,” Hampton said. “I need someone in handcuffs.”

“Renisha could have been me,” Siwatu-Salama Ra, 22, of Detroit, told the crowd.

Looks like The Template has been set.

Draw conclusions and make assumptions with little known facts.

Generate outrage.

Cue Al Sharpton.

Looks like The Template has been set.

Draw conclusions and make assumptions with little known facts.

Generate outrage.

Cue Al Sharpton.

Yes, indeed. Bryant's lawyer was interviewed by Frank Beckmann on AM Radio 76 (WJR in Detroit) yesterday morning. The lawyer emphatically repeated multiple times "the ONLY THING that will bring justice to Renisha is A CONVICTION". He commended Prosecutor Kim Worthy for her prosecution success track record and encouraged her to bring up charges that will lead to a conviction, "INVOLUNTARY MANSLAUGHTER AS A MINIMUM" he said.

We don't know what happened and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any witnessess coming forward.

Although, to be fair, based on your history on this board, there is apparently NO circumstance where your instinct, first or otherwise, would be to kill someone.

Do you have any idea what the chances are the police will even respond to a 911 call for an unknown subject call in Dearborn Heights?

Somewhere between very slim and none.

Expecting citizens living in what is almost a war zone of crime and criminality to NOT initially suspect wrongdoing at 2:30 in the morning is being intentionally ignorant of the reality of life in that area.

Though nowhere in any of the links did I see a description of the race of the accused, it's fairly obvious they were white, or there would be no claims of racial profiling.

There are a lot of people who I would like to smack upside the head but kill them? No. Then again, I've never faced a life-or-death situation.

What do you mean unknown subject? If you think someone is trying to break into your house then you tell the 911 dispatcher "SOMEONE IS TRYING TO BREAK INTO MY HOUSE!". I grew up in an inner city neighborhood and I'm currently living in another one. I take reasonable precautions, but I don't go through life fearing the bad guys are just waiting to pounce. The accused man's fears may say more about him than they do about Renisha McBride. NPR's coverage of this case described the accused as a white man.

Here we go again. Another unarmed black teen shot and killed. Renisha Bryant's shooting has even made the news in the UK:

Yup. Here we go again. Sounds like so many fall for race baiting. It seems more prevalent that the liberal media will report on an unarmed black person being killed by another ethnicity, than the other way around. I'm not denying that a tragedy occurred. It's very sad, indeed. Renisha's parent's and family need some support and outreach.

What I see happening in the press, is a pushing for racial tensions. The Martin/Zimmerman case was spun so well that I would put a lot of blame on the media as well as the President for inciting racial riots pertaining to this.

As you say, the news of the shooting has even made news in the UK.

But a case like this below would not make national news:

In April of 2009 Mr. Roderick Scott awoke at 3am to the sounds of three young men breaking into cars on his street. He called the police and went down to the street to make sure the young men did not flee before the police arrived. He shouted at the three to “freeze” and told them that the police were coming soon. The three boys stood before the big man obviously considering what they should do.

That’s when Christopher Cervini (17) rushed at Mr. Scott uttering “I’ll get you” or “I’ll get him.” Roderick Scott fired twice, killing the teenager. The trial that followed was again a case of prosecutorial overreach, as they tried to charge Mr. Scott with manslaughter. Fortunately for Mr. Scott, a jury of his peers agreed with him that he did only what was needed to protect himself.

Oh, and Roderick Scott was a 42 year old black man about the size of an NFL linebacker. Christopher Cervini was a skinny, 17 year old white kid with a little bit of marijuana in his system.

Where's the outrage on this? I know racism still exists in America, regardless of the color of the skin of the President. As, an American, I'd say we still have far to go. Sadly, it seems the media is purposely focusing mainly on one side of it. They know which buttons to push and where. People need to cut through the race crap, and instead of saying "Yup, another unarmed black teen killed", we should be saying how can we prevent so many killings from happening (regardless of color or creed)."

America has an ugly history when it comes to race. Black Americans have always known this. We lived with the results for years; we still do. Some Black Americans more than other's. White Americans can usually ignore all this ugly history if they chose. However, every now and then something happens to open wounds that have never entirely healed. When this happens, even white America takes notice. The George Zimmerman case was one such event. The murder of Renisha Bryant maybe another. Time will tell.

Update: Theodore Paul Wafer has been charged with second degree murder and manslaughter in the shooting death of Renisha McBride.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/renisha-mcbrides-alleged-shooter-charged-murder/story?id=20899735

More information about the Renisha McBride case. I've included the transcript from an interview that aired on National Public Radio on November 18.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=245967473

Blah, blah, blah. Here you go - it's official - Renisha McBride was drunk at the time of the car crash with a blood alcohol level of 0.22, more than three times the legal limit for driving. She also had marijuana in her system at the time of the crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Opodpkvp4

So she was wasted when the accident occurred. Not a good thing but, it doesn't warrant a death sentence. Your efforts to criminalize the victim after her death are yet another diversionary tactic.

America has an ugly history when it comes to race. Black Americans have always known this. We lived with the results for years; we still do. Some Black Americans more than other's. White Americans can usually ignore all this ugly history if they chose. However, every now and then something happens to open wounds that have never entirely healed. When this happens, even white America takes notice. The George Zimmerman case was one such event. The murder of Renisha Bryant maybe another. Time will tell.

Now this looks like racial profiling to me..on a very large scale.

You're painting a lot of people with one big brush aren't you..?

So she was wasted when the accident occurred. Not a good thing but, it doesn't warrant a death sentence. Your efforts to criminalize the victim after her death are yet another diversionary tactic.

Once again, your predisposition towards the race card is revealed as you completely miss the point of SAJ's comment.

Sorry, but your racial tunnel vision has caused you to fail once again.

This case is, indeed, increasingly similar to the Trayvon Martin case, just not for the reasons you cling to.

Now this looks like racial profiling to me..on a very large scale.

You're painting a lot of people with one big brush aren't you..?

No, just stating the facts as I see them. I think most white Americans have a hard time acknowledging white privilege or recognizing all but the most obvious examples of racism.

No, just stating the facts as I see them. I think most white Americans have a hard time acknowledging white privilege or recognizing all but the most obvious examples of racism.

Seriously, can you believe the irony in these posts?

What she sees are FACTS.

SHE THINKS, etc.

What a buffoon.

She is one of the most race-centric people I have encountered in quite some time.

She's obviously intelligent, yet is so blinded by race that it offsets that intelligence.

One of those "can't see the forest for the trees" types.

LOL, It's actually kinda fun posting knowing everyone except her can read it.

• 4 weeks later...

Man accused of killing Renisha Bryant in court today. I wonder if the police took blood tests to determine if he were intoxicated or high when he shot Ms. Bryant?

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20131218/METRO01/312180032/Hearing-today-slaying-Detroit-teen-Renisha-McBride

It seems to me they would have to show probable cause before doing so. Alcohol on his breath, impaired behavior, etc.

I wonder if the police took blood tests to determine if he were intoxicated or high when he shot Ms. Bryant?

Yeah, because whether he was intoxicated or high inside his own home at 4:00 in the morning is somehow relevant.

We certainly know "McBride’s blood alcohol level was nearly three times the legal limit and she had traces of marijuana in her system."

And THAT was 3 hours after the car wreck.

So, she either wrecked and then went somewhere and started drinking heavily, or she had already been drinking so heavily that 3 hours later her BAC was STILL nearly 3 times the legal limit.

"Some local civil rights activists say they believe the young woman was racially profiled and had she been white, the outcome might have been different."

One thing is absolutely certain - had she been white, this wouldn't even be in the news.

Even Especially if the shooter was black.

One thing is absolutely certain - had she been white, this wouldn't even be in the news.

Even Especially if the shooter was black.

Black man shoots unarmed, young white woman. That would have tapped into some very old memes about black men being a menace to white womanhood. It would have certainly made the local news. Once that happened one of the Stormfront types would have brought it to the attention of the right-wing radio shock jocks.

Archived