1982? Plant & Page 1st post Zep performance @ a FOREIGNER concert!

z1inspector

I have the bootleg album of the April 17, 1988 Robert Plant show at the Hammersmith Odeon, titled The Zen Master and His Page.

According to the back cover, side 3 has "Ship of Fools" (not with Jimmy), "Trampled Underfoot" and "Misty Mountain Hop" (both with Jimmy).

Side 4 just states "Gambler's Blues" and "Rock and Roll". No "Since I've Been Loving You".

I have not listened to this bootleg in over 15+ years (no record player) but I seem to recall that during "Gambler's Blues" Robert and Jimmy incorporate "I Can't Quit You Baby" and "Since I've Been Loving You". I think that track is about 15 minutes long.

On a side note:

Side 1: Helen of Troy/Other Arms/Little by Little/In the Evening/In the Mood/Black Country Woman.

Side 2: Big Log/Heaven Knows/Dimples/Billy's Revenge/Tall Cool One.

...Man, I need to get a Record Player/Turntable. I have more Led Zeppelin bootleg albums that I need to play and hear.

Side 4 just states "Gambler's Blues" and "Rock and Roll". No "Since I've Been Loving You". I have not listened to this bootleg in over 15+ years (no record player) but I seem to recall that during "Gambler's Blues" Robert and Jimmy incorporate "I Can't Quit You Baby" and "Since I've Been Loving You". I think that track is about 15 minutes long.

Yes, that is correct and what I meant although not quite what I had posted.

Just sent out a request to Roger Berlin on his own thread "Magazines and Articles by Roger Berlin" at the LZ Master Forum about the press article from May 1982's BRAVO magazine showing pics from the live jam with Foreigner. I hope he will respond and finds the time to scan and post it soon there. I remember Robert looking really good in those pictures in black clothes while Lou Gramm seemed to wear a Robert Plant "1980 LZ Over Europe" rip-off version of green T-shirt and blue jeans ;)

"I've added a couple more to the list that I somehow overlooked the first time. You are describing to us what I believe to be their '85 jam at The Meadowlands, except no Led Zeppelin songs were performed that night. However, I will double check on the two shows Robert did perform at Madison Square Garden on May 17-18 1988. Those concerts were just a few days after their reunion at The Atlantic Records' 40th Anniversary Concert, also held at MSG."

It could have been at the Meadowlands, I don't think it was after the Atlantic Records 40th Reunion show. Weird how the memories begin to fade.

Roger has put up a nice scan of the german article of the Foreigner / LZ 1982 live jam up on his own thread yesterday,

so please take a peep over there ! :)

well i checked out rogers site, now please tell me how to get to this "actual thread "with the picturs, what should i search under, what is it called?

Edited by z1inspector

i found it just moments ago !

STEVE A JONES thankyou for everything i actually have a little tear in my eye! it was the moment in pictures i longed for for sevsral years!

i hope this post fills some blanks for others also !

&

hey EVERYONE ! =

if anyone needs help finding Zep info get ahold of me & ill give you STEVES home # , (call him collect ANYTIME ! :thumbsup: )

Edited by z1inspector

• 3 weeks later...

There was a backstage photo from this gig (I think) printed in KERRANG!, featuring Jimmy, Mick Jones and maybe Lou Gramm. The caption was something crass along the lines of "If you added up all the money these guys had made from album sales you'd be green with envy." I may have the photo somewhere; will try and scan it if I come across it.

Cheers,

Indi

Edited by indigomoonbeam

I've added a couple more to the list that I somehow overlooked the first time. You are describing to us what I believe to be their '85 jam at The Meadowlands, except no Led Zeppelin songs were performed that night. However, I will double check on the two shows Robert did perform at Madison Square Garden on May 17-18 1988. Those concerts were just a few days after their reunion at The Atlantic Records' 40th Anniversary Concert, also held at MSG.

Those two shows of Robert's in 1988 were at the Meadowlands Arena and not MSG. I was at the May 17th show. Stevie Ray Vaughn was the opener.

Those two shows of Robert's in 1988 were at the Meadowlands Arena and not MSG. I was at the May 17th show. Stevie Ray Vaughn was the opener.

Thanks, Super Dave. Too late to edit my post but I'll correct my database. I do have an article on file to compliment what you said.

New York Post (May 19, 1988) (New York, NY)

19880519NewYorkPost.jpg

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Thanks, Super Dave. Too late to edit my post but I'll correct my database. I do have an article on file to compliment what you said.

19880519NewYorkPost.jpg

Thanks Steve. I do remember reading that article some years ago. Could have been better with more info on the show. Seems too brief.

There was a backstage photo from this gig (I think) printed in KERRANG!, featuring Jimmy, Mick Jones and maybe Lou Gramm. The caption was something crass along the lines of "If you added up all the money these guys had made from album sales you'd be green with envy." I may have the photo somewhere; will try and scan it if I come across it.

Cheers,

Indi

Indi, shure would be great to see that picture, please try!

19880519NewYorkPost.jpg

i enjoyed this article ,im glad you posted it, i loved when this Plant era FINALLY happend !

my friends & I didnt see this comming, "Tall cool one" had us light headed!

Edited by z1inspector

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

fantastic to read what jimmy said about the day!

great learning how zep & forigner know each other! and especially jimmy mentioning LOU GRAMM !

(theirs GOT to be footage of this somewhere, even backstage moments)

i cant seem to find it on jimmypage.com but ill try again

,Z

This appearance is featured today on Jimmypage.com. There's no mention of Robert in the annotation and there doesn't seem to be any associated audio or video linked (unless it's there and my phone isn't displaying it).

May definitely have to ask Mick Jones about this now, as it's no longer clear if Robert joined the jam or not.

• 1 month later...

This appearance is featured today on Jimmypage.com. There's no mention of Robert in the annotation and there doesn't seem to be any associated audio or video linked (unless it's there and my phone isn't displaying it).

It's interesting he omitted that he and Robert had traveled to Munich together to take a break from working so hard on their respective solo projects, and that by all accounts Robert joined him onstage for the jam.