Led Zep III First Pressing?

It would appear from some internet research that there are at least three, possibly four, combinations of "first" pressings. These would have all been lacquers cut at Mastercraft. Some with "Do what thou wilt" and "so mote be it", some with one but without the other, some with the same one on each side. It's a complicated mess.

Some first pressings also have the MO etched into them, denoting Monarch (pressing plant)

These differences seem to extend to the white label promos as well...

Edited by Glyn

It's the standard US Atlantic label, there's the UK red/plumb labels as well.

I believe I have a second US pressing. No quotes in the deadwax, but I still have the 1841 Broadway address on the label.

When/If Pb! comes back he might have a more definitive answer...

Edited by Glyn

Thanks Pb!

If we can all agree that white label promos were made from the first stampers, that also went on to produce the first commercial runs (and they were), then the first pressings had "Do what thou wilt" on side 1, and "So mote be it" on side 2. I have taken some pictures of my white label promo, which would clearly be one of the first pressings. The pictures were a challenge, but here are the inscriptions:

002b_zpsea7f46ad.jpg

001b_zps4ff34253.jpg

In general terms, in the market today, anything with an inscription would loosely be called a first pressing; however, it really is a very early pressing, as the true first pressings had both inscriptions on them, and I am sure that most of us would agree, intuitely, that this makes the most sense ie: "Do what thou wilt...so mote be it" ....the full statement, rather than just half of the statement. Hope this helps guys and gals.

Edited by The Dark Lord

I have a Canadian first pressing (supposed to be anyway) and it doesn't have the "Do what thou wilt" / "So mote be it" etchings.....

True. I have multiples of those, and the Canadian stampers did not have the etchings. I think this was primarily a U.S. thing, and perhaps the UK. The Canadian pressings are amongst the best I have ever heard. This was the last album that came solely with the red Atlantic label. The 4th album came with the red/ green/ white label.

Edited by The Dark Lord

Didn't realise that the copy I picked up on a second hand record stall back I around 1982ish was a first edition. Pleased about that. Good job I've no intention of selling it as it's been played to death so won't have any value.

Here is an interesting read on Led Zeppelin III. (an album I always loved and always thought was under rated in comparison to some of their other works). Known as the "Folk" or Acoustic album, I still remember how much I loved the pinwheel cover to the album. This is one that you really needed to have the album, and not the CD or cassette or 8 track to appreciate. So read the following article that was just emailed to me. A LOOK BACK AT LZ III

http://www.antimusic.com/news/13/November/19A_Look_Back_At_Led_Zeppelin_III.shtml#.UowROcSTjfI

Thanks Pb!

If we can all agree that white label promos were made from the first stampers, that also went on to produce the first commercial runs (and they were), then the first pressings had "Do what thou wilt" on side 1, and "So mote be it" on side 2. I have taken some pictures of my white label promo, which would clearly be one of the first pressings. The pictures were a challenge, but here are the inscriptions:

002b_zpsea7f46ad.jpg

001b_zps4ff34253.jpg

In general terms, in the market today, anything with an inscription would loosely be called a first pressing; however, it really is a very early pressing, as the true first pressings had both inscriptions on them, and I am sure that most of us would agree, intuitely, that this makes the most sense ie: "Do what thou wilt...so mote be it" ....the full statement, rather than just half of the statement. Hope this helps guys and gals.

^^ That is just awesome! Led Zeppelin in 1970 - The Only Way To Fly!

• 2 months later...

Hi There, I recently bought a first pressing of Led Zeppelin iii. It has the etchings, as mentioned above, but they look a bit haphazard if I'm honest. Has anyone got a picture of what they SHOULD look like? I find it difficult to photo my copy, the etchings are hard to capture.

It's a red / plum 2401002 A5 / B5 w/ Peter Grant credit. The photos above make it look like the etchings are really carefully scribed. Mine's not like that, as far as I can make out. Like I said, it's hard to catch the light correctly to read it properly.

if someone could post a picture of theirs that'd be really helpful.

thanks,

clare

Edited by Clar Ni Pharsuin

The above pictures were from the US edition. I doubt that anyone pressed a counterfeit version of the UK edition, but I guess someone could have etched it themselves.

No, it's definitely not a counterfeit version. It's got all the marks / matrices that it's supposed to and the label is correct for it's release. I'm just a little curious to see what the etchings are supposed to look like. I didn't have a reference point so something to compare it to would be great. The white label photos above look very 'scroll'y' and mine don't look like that at all, from what I can make out.

Feedback would be awesome!