Complete RE-EDIT of The Song Remains the Same ORIGINAL /ACCURATE setlist on way! (proposal)

I wish you well with this project. I hope you can find as much footage as possible . Is the project about capturing the spirit and energy of a continuous live concert?

I am curious how you will be handling situations where footage does not exist. Have you considered using still pictures as Zep did for the Royal Albert Hall show on the Zep dvd.? I think using still pictures could be part of the solution.

I hope you do not go the route of the Immigrant song on the LZ dvd. It's great to see in all but for me it's too much moving around.

I have little to no experience with editing but I wanted to share this thought when I heard of your idea.

Edited by boogie woogie

1) Yes, it is. No bullshit; just pure concert.

2) We're doing the "Immigrant Song" thing, but more accurately. Trust me, there are no split second jump cuts! ;) We're only going to use material that looks like it fits the song (we're not going to add a shot into No Quarter with John Paul on bass, or something into TSRTS with Page playing his Les Paul, etc.) plus using footage from "The First Cuts," 8mm films, etc. We're not passing this as 100% genuine, but it'll be much better than a concert with mock up footage/footage that doesn't match the song.

3) Btw, Dick Carruthers used stills from the film to cover footage with no gaps, not photos. There are some interesting ones that pop up.

Sounds like you're approaching this with much care. It does sound like a monumental project . A labor of love I'm sure.

I like the idea of capturing the spirit and energy of a continuous concert.

For me I'm not out to knock TSRTS. I'm glad we have it.

So you will be using stills?

Best of luck

I look forward to checking out your project.

• 2 months later...

Any updates on the film? I hope you guys are making good progress, this is very exciting to me!! I always loved TSRTS, but to watch the concert as complete as possible is a new level of astounding. This is a big task and I hope you guys are making headway, good luck and cheers!! :toast::yourock:

• 4 weeks later...

Any updates on the film? I hope you guys are making good progress, this is very exciting to me!! I always loved TSRTS, but to watch the concert as complete as possible is a new level of astounding. This is a big task and I hope you guys are making headway, good luck and cheers!! :toast::yourock:

It's coming along, I can tell you that. Obviously, there's no way it's "truthful" because it's a rearrangement, but it's more honest than the mock footage itself. I don't know, I don't want to rush things, but let's say around the holidays this year. Perhaps LZF and I can work together and throw out a full cut or something along that by then. It's really a professional job so far, but to ensure that level of quality is consistent throughout the whole film we've got to give it a lot of intimate time to develop. We have, of course, so it's a definite prospect to look forward to!

It's coming along, I can tell you that. Obviously, there's no way it's "truthful" because it's a rearrangement, but it's more honest than the mock footage itself. I don't know, I don't want to rush things, but let's say around the holidays this year. Perhaps LZF and I can work together and throw out a full cut or something along that by then. It's really a professional job so far, but to ensure that level of quality is consistent throughout the whole film we've got to give it a lot of intimate time to develop. We have, of course, so it's a definite prospect to look forward to!

Thanks for the reply! And yes, please take your time!! This is something that needs time to work on and you two I can tell are gonna do great. Thanks again and I'll be waiting!

• 3 weeks later...

Just came across a project that made me think of this thread. I won't provide the link as this is the official LZ forum and it's not cool to publish links for "bootleg" material.

It is a re-edit of TSRTS that removes the fantasy sequences, cut-aways to backstage conversations, and fills in footage gaps with footage from the LZ/HTWWW DVD and other sources. Other changes include putting the songs in their true running order and (somehow) including Heartbreaker in its entirety.

Of the two reviews for it, both praise the new cut as wonderful.

Interesting.

Edited by MCAN

I did my own edit called "In For a Quick Garden" a while ago. One thing I did was using every backstage footage from the band to create a visual companion to Heartbreaker. It worked quite well, to my own surprise. :) How is the project?

Hello eckoes, I have a download of your edit and it is quite fantastic! The Heartbreaker "collage" is a kick in the balls to put it one way!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
On 11/20/2013 at 2:56 AM, SteveAJones said:

My hunch is this thread may become locked or pulled as your proposal, though noble, does directly constitute piracy as well as bootleg production and as such is generally discouraged on this, the official forum. Having said that, bear in mind one reason the fantasy sequences exist in the first

place is to cover gaps in film footage. The reality is one will never find enough outside source film footage to cover those gaps in their entirety.

How times have changed, bootleg "links" that never would have been allowed are posted regularly. Normal at the Hotel but never here until recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Shame.

I do love the Heywood version though. Grin.

My one niggle is that he didn't sort out the weird timing of the drum fill between Heartbreaker and Whole Lotta Love.

That certainly was a remastering clunker that needed rectifying.

But yes, this is my go to version now.

Cheers for the input, guys!

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2020 at 8:59 PM, Michael Fry said:

Shame.

I do love the Heywood version though. Grin.

My one niggle is that he didn't sort out the weird timing of the drum fill between Heartbreaker and Whole Lotta Love.

That certainly was a remastering clunker that needed rectifying.

But yes, this is my go to version now.

Cheers for the input, guys!

This is off-topic a bit, but since Heywood version is mentioned, do you, by any chance, know where can I find it?

Edited by Spitfire