John Paul Jones On Tour Now With Dave Rawlings Machine

sam_webmaster

Great write up, Strider, and thanks for the video, Deb. Reading the one and then seeing the other made me think of how perceptions/senses/impressions affect what we take in or are open to. I know of Americana music largely through Jonesy's and Robert's involvement in it. I'm not an aficionado, but really enjoy discovering new music through, among other means, what artists I follow are into or have been influenced by. That's how I discovered Zep eleventy-one years ago.

So in that particular clip Deb provided, while I appreciate the musicianship, I also sense I'm on the outside of the kind of experience that Strider had with it. That's not all there is to Americana music, of course, but songs of that ilk are maybe less accessible to the uninitiated, if I can put it that way. Still, a 25-song set in an intimate space with top-notch musicians I'm sure would have won me over. The sentiment of having been touched by a concert in such a profound and lasting way is something I think we can all relate to. Thanks for sharing :)

I can pinpoint exactly when the concert began to send chills down my spine...it was the fifth song of the night, a cover of Bob Dylan's "As I Went Out One Morning". Listen to John Paul Jones cast a spell from his Mandolin and Dave Rawlings answer with an achingly beautiful solo of his own.

I can pinpoint exactly when the concert began to send chills down my spine...it was the fifth song of the night, a cover of Bob Dylan's "As I Went Out One Morning". Listen to John Paul Jones cast a spell from his Mandolin and Dave Rawlings answer with an achingly beautiful solo of his own.

It's beautiful, thanks for posting :) There's a lot to go through in the list, which is what is interesing in terms of getting to know music. The earlier comment was just that impression of that song, but your review and the Youtube videos definitely pique my interest. It's nice when artists stretch themselves. Now Jonesy's on the violin. What's next, I wonder? They look like they're enjoying playing together and sharing it with the appreciative audience. If you're lucky, you get to be a part of it. Wish I could've seen it...

Thanks Strider, great writeup and great pictures.

Real interesting setlist, I have always loved Queen Jane, some Dead versions are transcendent!!

Jonesy looks like he's having a ball!

Bass guitar, keyboards, flute, mandolin and now the fiddle. Is there any instrument John Paul Jones doesn't play?

That new band member David Rawlings has - pretty good, eh? Jonesy makes everything he touches musically that much better. Just comes in, adds understated layers, seemingly effortless, and takes a bow. SO impressive. Overall, very enjoyable watching the "Hardly Strictly" show; waves of impressions. "Ruby" was beautiful. The song after, somewhat less accessible despite the great musicianship. It's interesting being exposed to new music without a personal stake depsite Jonesy's involvement. On the one hand I sense being more or less behind a cultural veil that I frankly can't get quite get through, on the other, without the fandom, when the music does connect, it's transcendent. Really good musicians each one, and together they soar.

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming this is during this tour as it was posted a month ago. Apologies if it has already been posted elsewhere.

As usual, the man is a CLASS ACT all the way, takes time to stop and sign autographs....

John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin signing autographs

Edited by Deborah J

• 4 weeks later...