What's your fave Christmas decoration?

Levee

Everyone has got their decorations up around our neighborhood and there are certainly different "tastes". What are some of yours?

There is a house two streets over, that has a large all white brick home, looks like it was built around the 40's. It has a few pillars out front and a lot of windows. It has no outside decorations, but in each window is a clear lighted real looking wreath with a red bow and a single candle in the center. It just looks great , like a postcard on how to decorate for the for the holidays. It is so understated and yet so perfect for that house, I've always liked it.

On the other side of decorating is the people I put in the why bother category.

There's a guy on our street that looks like he stood on his front porch and tied a rock to a the lights and just threw them out on to these small trees that are in front. There's like about five or six of these and they are all a different solid colors. The wind could have done a better job. It looks like Walt Disney vomited.

What say you?

Simple, simple, simple. I don't like people that go waaaaaaay overboard with their decorations, like they're in some phantom contest. To me, it looks tacky. We usually just do icicle lights along the top of the porch and garage, a wreath on the front door, some grid lights on the two holly bushes in the front and then our tree. Our tree is always simple. Clear lights, silver/white tinsel, silver/white ornaments.

Simple, simple, simple. I don't like people that go waaaaaaay overboard with their decorations, like they're in some phantom contest. To me, it looks tacky. We usually just do icicle lights along the top of the porch and garage, a wreath on the front door, some grid lights on the two holly bushes in the front and then our tree. Our tree is always simple. Clear lights, silver/white tinsel, silver/white ornaments.

Sounds nice. I try to keep it simple, I do use the larger bulbs out side, the kind that the man on the horse upstairs mentioned. I'm not a big fan of the miniatures outside. The way our house is built I could go way overboard, my only vice I guess is I insist on that we use this pretty big lighted wreath at the top of the house.

Nice ornament Pilot!

When I saw this thread...I thought about taking a walk with my camera to take a few pictures of my neighbors' homes. :lol: There are plenty of dos and don'ts.

One of my neighbors has blue icicles on their (attached) garage, multi colored ones on the roof of the house, while ones around one of the windows, red and green around another window, blow-up Elmo with a Christmas hat, Tigger with a Santa hat, and tons of other stupid shit. :wacko:

Another neighbor has about thirteen blow-up things in their yard--including a huge fake snowglobe that has snow that blows around in it. Not to mention that they have more Christmas lights than National Lampoon's.... I was talking about how tacky it was the other day at school, and someone told me they knew exactly which house I was talking about! :hysterical:

I like simple lights and simple lawn figures, if you have them. There are a few neighbors that have those light up deer in their yards, and I kind of like those. Some of the neighbors have small artificial trees at their doorsteps with white lights--those are nice. One of our neighbors has a spruce in their yard, and they put white lights on it and those cheap white plastic balls. That's really neat. My next door neighbors bought those big-bulbed Christmas lights, and they're green and red. They put them just on the roof's edge, and strung some of them up in a tree, using big white bulbs on the trunk of the tree. That looks really nice.

There are two houses on the street that are nicer than ours--we decided we'd see if we could afford either of them if they ever went up for sale. They both have nice decorations, simple and classic.

I have white and blue icicles on the roof of the house and garage with white lights around the garage door and the rose bushes that line the walkway and some green garland with pine cones and white lights. I have a nice little wreath on the front door that's got red berries and greenery. Inside, we have a Christmas tree with mostly silver, white or blue balls, white lights, and white, pearly bead garland. I have a red table cloth and a poinsettia on the kitchen table, stockings hung on the wall (we don't have a fireplace), an amaryllis in a white pot, Santa and his reindeer on the coffee table, and a lava lamp thing that has a snowman on it--the "lava" is glittery stuff that moves around. I put a string of white lights in a ficus tree that we have in the living room, too. It's different than other times of year, but it's not reeking of Christmas, (although I did buy pine scented plug-in air fresheners since our tree is fake).

There's a lady in our town who has a huge house and a 2 sheds. She decorates and she has a vintage red bug and there are manacins in it and the little girl has a sign that says Goin To Grandma's. It's really cute but when I was little I wondered if she let the people out to eat.

One of the people that live nearby has a plastic manger set that's faded and the red's just barely pink now..

freakin' awesome.

They even have blue Christmas lights going from the manger to a star that's mounted to their house. :lol:

There's also a house in the foothills that's totally Christmas-tacky. They have land that's part of the face of the foothill that faces the city. They live about twenty miles away, and I can see that freakin' Christmas angel from here, if I look out my North-facing windows! They make a Christmas angel out of lights every single year! :wacko:

I have a few little snowflake ornaments. They're not really delicate. I wish I could find some icicle ornaments--not those things that kids and cats will eat, but little class icicles.

My mom has some really pretty knitted snowflake ornaments that are starched. I love those! I wish I could get hold of some of those. <_<

I have some of the shaped ornaments, but I like simple and classic the best. I am going to try hard to get more white and light blue ones for next year. Our beautiful Victorian angel tree topper won't sit on our tree properly, so we need to find something for that. It looks kind of funny, like it's missing something. :lol:

I like the Gargoyles on tops of buildings.

They don't have anything to do with Christmas, but they are decorations, and I was just talking with my friend who knows a lot about architecture, and we talked about Gargoyles.

Then later I saw this thread. You know.

Re: Gargoyles:

Why do they exist? When did they begin? Did the architects who put Gargoyles on their buildings ever see Wizard of Oz? If so, what did they think of the monkeys' performances?

I used to love decorating for Christmas, but not so much anymore.

I love lights outside, though. The icicle ones especially.

My parents have so many Santa figurines and statues that I could vomit, though. Honestly. Everywhere you go. Santa fishing, Santa and a reindeer, vacation Santa. I think there used to be one that would talk when you walked past it, but it started creeping everyone out too much, so we sold it at a yard sale.

Wreaths are nice, too.

I love most decorations, but one of my favorite things to see are the big bulb Christmas lights--especially on a pine tree that's covered with snow. I don't like to see someone use too much of one color in terms of strings of lights. White lights are pretty boring, but they can be nice. And they aren't meant for Christmas trees, if you ask me.

There's some kind of new Christmas lights that's taken far too many of the people in my city's interest. The colors are terrible--blue, green, red and some really weird orange. They look creepy like they should be put up only for freakin' Halloween, I can't stand them :thumbdown:

Archived