Whole Lotta Love July 27th 1973

joeboy

Their best live version of this song. I listened to the next two nights of this song and am not impressed. Jimmy couldn't even master "The Crunge" guitar part the "second" night although the "third" night was a bit better. What gives with these erratic performances?

It's a really good version!!! What are you trying to say!? MOST Zeppelin concerts were damn good!

Are you implying, that Jimmy had to try really hard to find something good from the three nights and even then he had to patch from different nights?

As I said most Zeppelin concerts thorught the years were really good and Jimmy only patched things too make his absolute favourite versions!

The original album version (which is my favorite) begin with the 29th until Robert starts singing. The reason is (as shown in the movie) JImmy breaks a string or the guitar malfunctions on the first night July 27th. The first night then takes over until the end of the song with only a minor changes.

When Jimmy's guitar craps out on the 27th he switches to a 1969 Gibson "Gold Top". This guitar was resprayed cherry red as seen during his theremin playing. Also I like the fake clapping at the begininng of the song on the original album. As a dumb kid I thought it was cool. I don't know why Jimmy did this.

So why do versions of the song from the North American 1973 tour have a more anemic-sounding "Boogie Chillun" guitar intro than we hear in 1970-1972 recordings? Is Page using a different guitar, or playing in a slightly different key, or something else entirely?

• 4 months later...

So why do versions of the song from the North American 1973 tour have a more anemic-sounding "Boogie Chillun" guitar intro than we hear in 1970-1972 recordings? Is Page using a different guitar, or playing in a slightly different key, or something else entirely?

Nobody has responded so i will speculate on this one ... Page probably switched his push pull pot on his guitar to make the bridge pickup single coil to give it that thin P90/strat like tone similar to the earlier electric bluemens... other thoughts are larger amp configuration that's not being pushed as hard as a smaller setup but i believes that was more of a 75 or 77' sound

Nobody has responded so i will speculate on this one ... Page probably switched his push pull pot on his guitar to make the bridge pickup single coil to give it that thin P90/strat like tone similar to the earlier electric bluemens... other thoughts are larger amp configuration that's not being pushed as hard as a smaller setup but i believes that was more of a 75 or 77' sound

He never had push pulls during zeppelin. Also the earlier shows that you asked about he was using Hiwatt heads and the les paul he had during both eras, number one from Joe Walsh, had a different bridge pickup than what it had at the MSG shows. Sometime in May 72 the PAF was replaced with a T - Top.

He never had push pulls during zeppelin. Also the earlier shows that you asked about he was using Hiwatt heads and the les paul he had during both eras, number one from Joe Walsh, had a different bridge pickup than what it had at the MSG shows. Sometime in May 72 the PAF was replaced with a T - Top.

In this video Jimmy shows the push/pull... when it was installed i don't know ... but this is why i speculated on it... plus if he rolled the volume off a hair that could also cause a "thin" sound which is probably not necessarily "thin" but cleaner

Yea I've seen that video, all that stuff was put on in the 80's. As far as the thin and clean sound, yes, when you roll back the guitar volume it cleans up and it does get very thin sounding especially on the bridge pickup. Jimmy used his guitar volume to control the gain and saturation so depending on how loud he was you would get different tones. his hiwatt was a 50 watt so that would break up differently than a 100 watt head, plus it had a hotter gain output. Also Jimmy used the Tonebender up until 71 so that is another reason you might be hearing a cleaner sound.

Archived