Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
MHD

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

One of my favourite acoustic Zep tracks. Forgive me, but I'm not musical or know much about what goes on in the studio but I have always wondered if this is Jimmy playing one guitar, one take or is it "multi-tracked/layered" not sure of the correct technical term?

Thanks! :)

One of my favourite acoustic Zep tracks. Forgive me, but I'm not musical or know much about what goes on in the studio but I have always wondered if this is Jimmy playing one guitar, one take or is it "multi-tracked/layered" not sure of the correct technical term?

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that they would pretty much play together in the studio. For instance, I read somewhere (Maybe in Hammer of the Gods) that when they recorded When the Levee Breaks they put Bonzo in a hallway with his drumset. That's where that strange echo comes from. Although there are a lot of printed rumors about Zep.

I too love this song. I have read that John Paul plays an acoustic bass and Bonham was overdubbed with spoons and something else;maybe cymbals. I hope this helps. :)

I too love this song. I have read that John Paul plays an acoustic bass and Bonham was overdubbed with spoons and something else;maybe cymbals. I hope this helps. :)

I've never heard spoons in the studio version.

Only hand clapping and castanets.

castagnettes.jpg

Edited by Charles_Obscure

I've never heard spoons in the studio version.

Only hand clapping and castanets.

castagnettes.jpg

According to Heaven and Hell spoons were used on the track. But thanks, I could not remember castanets.

Thanks for all for your replies and info...I was particularly refering to Jimmys' guitar as, to my untrained ears, it sounds like 2 acoustics playing a duet! I'm sure someone's gonna tell me that it is the skill and wonder of Jimmys' playing that it makes it sound that way...anyway, can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Great song off of Zeppelin III. Excelent guitar and entertaining. Shows what a master Jimmy could be when given an acoustic. Well any guitar that you give him i guess.

Thanks for all for your replies and info...I was particularly refering to Jimmys' guitar as, to my untrained ears, it sounds like 2 acoustics playing a duet! I'm sure someone's gonna tell me that it is the skill and wonder of Jimmys' playing that it makes it sound that way...anyway, can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

That would be as a result of him overdubbing multiple guitar parts. Now, about your beautiful ears... :)

Bron-Y-Aur-Stomp is one single track of guitar in an alternate tuning CFCFAF.

I could be wrong, but it's my understanding that they would pretty much play together in the studio. For instance, I read somewhere (Maybe in Hammer of the Gods) that when they recorded When the Levee Breaks they put Bonzo in a hallway with his drumset. That's where that strange echo comes from. Although there are a lot of printed rumors about Zep.

On some stuff they didnt play together. almost the entire "In Through The Outdoor" album was recorded before JP showed up and he over dubbed most of his stuff.

This is what Ive read....but I wasnt there and really dont have a clue!