Happy Thanksgiving

clw

6 hours ago, Walter said:

25.53 lb bird defrosting in the fridge in the garage....since last Thursday!  

Bought most of the groceries yesterday.  Expecting 14 this year at the table.  

Picking up pies from the bakery tomorrow morning.

Final trip to the liquor store this afternoon - then we’ll be set! ;) 

SERIOUSLY?  My turkey is 21.34 pounds and I'm cooking it for a table of one....ME! (along with green bean casserole, dinner rolls, au gratin potatoes and a Marie Callender chocolate chip cookie dough frozen pie).  

Because of the fairly recent adoption of Black Friday here in the UK I now know that Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday. So Happy Thanksgiving USA.. I'm now wondering how long it will be before people here start celebrating the day, it's often said that things from the U.S gradually make their way here.  Still not sure what it's all about though, yeah I know google is my friend and it's all only a couple of clicks away, maybe later..

JTM.jpg

Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day, is a public holiday celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November[1] in the United States. It originated as a harvest festival. Thanksgiving has been celebrated nationally on and off since 1789, after Congress requested a proclamation by George Washington.[2] It has been celebrated as a federal holiday every year since 1863, when, during the American Civil War, President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens," to be celebrated on the last Thursday in November.[3][4] Together with Christmas and the New Year, Thanksgiving is a part of the broader fall/winter holiday season in the U.S.

22 hours ago, Walter said:

Here are some early morning pics and a recent in oven photo:

873F04A2-3623-4A83-BC1E-7072BD4BF2D5.jpeg

7C5601C6-E16A-4480-9115-537BAF66ADB5.jpeg

AC20F8C0-4680-4CD6-B057-930940CB1D08.jpeg

Yep that is a fat bird allright:D I can smell it from here. That is a very clean oven if you don't mind me saying. Almost new?

Best to all of your family brother.

I'm doing a Chilli as it's bleedin' freezing here

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Yep that is a fat bird allright:D I can smell it from here. That is a very clean oven if you don't mind me saying. Almost new?

Best to all of your family brother.

I'm doing a Chilli as it's bleedin' freezing here

I love chili.  I bet you have all sorts of goodies in your recipe.

Oven is about 6 months old, so yes relatively new.  Plus it’s gas so it’s a much easier cleanup.  It cooks beautifully and evenly.  The turkey yesterday took 5.5 hrs as expected.  The taste and moisture were second to none.  Everyone enjoyed and were sent home with leftovers for later.  I’ve already had another plate this afternoon for lunch.  Getting ready for Christmas decorations to be put up over the remainder of the weekend.  

23 hours ago, Walter said:

I love chili.  I bet you have all sorts of goodies in your recipe.

Oven is about 6 months old, so yes relatively new.  Plus it’s gas so it’s a much easier cleanup.  It cooks beautifully and evenly.  The turkey yesterday took 5.5 hrs as expected.  The taste and moisture were second to none.  Everyone enjoyed and were sent home with leftovers for later.  I’ve already had another plate this afternoon for lunch.  Getting ready for Christmas decorations to be put up over the remainder of the weekend.  

My 17 lb Turkey was a little dry as we were stuck with 4 pm dinner because of guests.  So I put it in at 1030 and should have waited til 11.  But my cranberry relish was the best I ever had because of the quality of the red cranberries.  With honey instead of sugar, walnuts and oranges.

On 11/25/2017 at 2:59 PM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

My 17 lb Turkey was a little dry as we were stuck with 4 pm dinner because of guests.  So I put it in at 1030 and should have waited til 11.  But my cranberry relish was the best I ever had because of the quality of the red cranberries.  With honey instead of sugar, walnuts and oranges.

We started soaking our turkey in a brine overnight a few years ago, makes a world of difference.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alexandra-guarnaschelli/thanksgiving-turkey-brine-recipe-1949446

• 11 months later...

I have a 27 lb monster in my garage refrigerator.  We’re taking in almost anyone who wants to come over... ;)  Will post pics of the beast on Thursday.  Can’t wait for the meal. 4 pm for us, a little before kickoff in Dallas! 

On 11/18/2018 at 11:20 AM, Walter said:

I have a 27 lb monster in my garage refrigerator.  We’re taking in almost anyone who wants to come over... ;)  Will post pics of the beast on Thursday.  Can’t wait for the meal. 4 pm for us, a little before kickoff in Dallas! 

Here she was...at 8:30 this morning

282FF4A3-D470-4E80-B7CC-3DD3BB867931.jpeg

2ABFA041-D246-4E66-858B-A28501100027.jpeg

Archived