Crowley

ksgemini

maybe there is a non Zep thread and someone and can inform me on this... but can someone seriously tell me what the appeal of this guy is to so many. I am not judging anyone or pushing any one belief system at all but after reading some of his stuff I just don't get his cult status as anything other than a drug addicted person who occasionally wrote a few good things and did some very despicable things. I am not criticizing the greatest guitarist in the rock world at all but I don't get a 40 year fascination with this guy. I am not phobic either but being straight I have a tough time with Thelema's ideas about same sex sex being so inspired or almost "spiritual" -that's not in any way hating on anyone. My wife's in theater I have met quite a few great gay people but Crowley's spin on itseems almost to walk the line of misogyny against women...I must add I have NOT read ALL his writings tho. I respect the OTO as an alternative and am not going all bible thumping like some just looking for clarity I fail to find in his Book of the Law and couple others I read...

You need a background in world religions, mysticism, mythos, paganism, and the like first. Then read Crowley and see how he combined all these things into a belief system which worked for him. One of his main ideas is to be true to yourself, but finding your true will is much harder than just doing whatever you want. If you read it and determine that it is not for you, then leave it behind and continue your own spiritual journey, that what Aleister would have done!

You need a background in world religions, mysticism, mythos, paganism, and the like first. Then read Crowley and see how he combined all these things into a belief system which worked for him. One of his main ideas is to be true to yourself, but finding your true will is much harder than just doing whatever you want. If you read it and determine that it is not for you, then leave it behind and continue your own spiritual journey, that what Aleister would have done!

The thing is his system did not work for him, not really. He could not control himself and lived a life completely contrary to the Thelemic creed which ultimately destroyed him, leaving him a shell of a drugged out man.

Ummm well I can see some of his theories were good ones and how maybe Jimmy just takes the best of it and applies it to life..some of the other things... Its hard to say because posthumous information is riddled with exagerration and I have no idea what is true and what isn't and Crowley liked to "work" people into thinking he was more decadent than he probably was- but as for the whole messages from LAM thing ...I am skeptical as to that being his source rather than his own mind..like many religions and messages from "elsewhere". The alleged story about the girl with the goat though is really disgusting IMO ..true or not... Sometimes I think Jimmy Page is actually more intelligent and articulate when he opens up than Crowley ever was...I just don't know...

Hypothetically speaking if someone did to my daughter what was claimed to have happened to Crowley's young female 'friends' by various news outlets, I would make sure that someone was buried in the bottom of an oil well in Saudi Arabia or pushed off an oil platform in the ocean and smile once the phone call was made to confirm it was done.

My impression of Crowley isn't favorable. He did not get along with his rather puritanical mother and his earlier antics seem to have been his way of rebelling against her. He was intelligent. He was well educated. A generous inheritance gave him financial independence when he was a young man. Given his intelligence, education and wealth, one would have expected him to achieve more than he did. Restlessness when combined with high intelligence can often result in excellent scholarship. Crowley could have become an eminent geographer, archaeologist, anthropologist or theologian given his interest in the exotic and access to the best education money could buy. Instead he decided to invent a new religion. He managed to screw up his own life and the lives of many of the people around him along the way.

What amazes me is that people follow Crowley's philosophy/religion when it so obviously didn't work well for him in the end. He was an impoverished drug addict when he died.

Archived