The best "Rain Song" live

joeboy

I LOVE TSRTS version - the quietness before Talk Talk, Talk, & then BAM they just crush it. We've been listening to that version for years but for the NYC audience that night that was still a new song along with a bunch of others from HOTH!

I think a lot of folks don't like when bands play a lot of new material or tour on the new album. Everybody's like play Jeremy or some shit. In this case they just nail it - & all of it the whole lot!!

• 4 years later...

I prefer the live to the studio version in general as the "coldness of my winter" part in studio is just limp IMO, whereas live they really hit it hard. Makes all the difference.

Anyway, TSRTS version is my favorite.

7 hours ago, Remi said:

17 july 73, Seattle

Not my favorite - but one every Zep-head should hear, because Jones' mellotron acts up so he does the final half or 2/3 of the song with an organ/piano instead of the mellotron - a unique and interesting performance!

• 6 months later...

Too bad they didn't play "Rain Song" in 1977 when Robert's voice had recovered from his 1973-75 nadir, and Jones was still using the Mellotron. The 1979 Copenhagen "Rain Song" is pretty good but it would sound even better with the Mellotron.

But in 1977, they pretty much replaced "Rain Song" with "Ten Years Gone" and moved "The Song Remains the Same" to the opening slot. Nowadays, bands have no problem starting shows with slow songs so an opening one-two of "TSRTS-Rain Song" wouldn't be a big deal. But back then, most bands felt it best to start a concert with three or four high-energy rockers in a row.

1 hour ago, Strider said:

But in 1977, they pretty much replaced "Rain Song" with "Ten Years Gone" and moved "The Song Remains the Same" to the opening slot. Nowadays, bands have no problem starting shows with slow songs so an opening one-two of "TSRTS-Rain Song" wouldn't be a big deal. But back then, most bands felt it best to start a concert with three or four high-energy rockers in a row.

I loved this about going to shows in "the old days" because your hair is on fire when they come on stage and the bands maim you with killers to where you can't catch your breath. .It always felt that if it goes this way no matter what it would be a great show. . Remember when Styx were on top of the world and Dennis has them come out for theatre at the beginning? I would have been pissed b/c you can lose a crowd quick with that or some slow ass nonsense. .Oh and TSRTS version was my favorite song for about 15 years so yeah:):) 

1 hour ago, Bozoso73 said:

I loved this about going to shows in "the old days" because your hair is on fire when they come on stage and the bands maim you with killers to where you can't catch your breath. .It always felt that if it goes this way no matter what it would be a great show. . Remember when Styx were on top of the world and Dennis has them come out for theatre at the beginning? I would have been pissed b/c you can lose a crowd quick with that or some slow ass nonsense. .Oh and TSRTS version was my favorite song for about 15 years so yeah:):) 

One of my first concerts at 14 in 1980 was Yes, and they came out playing Apocalypse, which is like a 3+ minute LA Drone on steroids...lol...it was still cool because they had an incredible light/laser show....

• 2 weeks later...

1979-80 had Jones using that terrible Yamaha synth and Jimmy's erratic playing and Plant overdoing the Eventide Harmonizer. In 1975 Plant could be rough on vocals. That leaves 1973 and when it comes to 1973 performances I often find myself going to March 24 Offenburg, Germany. Jones's slightly off-pitch mellotron gives it an eerie vibe.

I hate the part at 6:55 seconds in the 2007 version of "The Rain Song".  The guitar overrides the organ and dulls the song.  Also the crowd is not heard as much throughout the song versus the 1976 version.  I hope Jimmy corrected these flaws.

Not saying this is my favorite Rain Song since its missing the first 3 1/2 minutes lol, but Stoke, UK - Jan 15, 1973 is pretty damn killer.. Killer sbd recording too, aside from missing half the song.

Can't wait to hear the 2018 remastered TSRTS Rain Song.

Archived