2013-14 NFL Playoff Predictions thread....

paul carruthers

Yeah, it's always interesting when a player gets injured weeks after a PED suspension. Right, Shawne Merriman?!?

Walter Jr. is very nervous about Seattle's game tomorrow...."Dad I'm probably gonna be sweating at the start of the game!" :lol:

It may not even be Blount, maybe Vereen, or Ridley, etc. The have about a four-headed running back monster with Blount starring last week. This week it could very well be one of the others. Denver's defense is hurting too, losing Miller and then the def. back they lost last week. I think both games are a toss up.

I tend to agree though I actually like Seattle more than Denver at home. I have picked New England and Seattle to win. But you are right, they have to be considered toss ups.

LeGarrette Blount. Knowshon Moreno.

Remember those names. For I think it will be those two running backs who will have a large say in whether the more famous names of Tom Brady or Peyton Manning win on Sunday.

History has shown that both quarterbacks have struggled in the playoffs when faced against physical defenses that were able to ignore the run and apply pressure and throw the quarterbacks around like rag dolls. If Brady and Manning are going to have any success at all, they are going to need their running backs to have an impact on the game. Run for positive yardage, consistently pick up those 3rd and twos, 3rd and ones.

If they can do that, that sets up the play-action to be so much more effective. Instead of Belichick and Del Rio being able to dial up a multitude of blitzes to storm the quarterback, every play-action fake will freeze the linebackers just enough to allow Brady and Manning that extra second or two to find the open receiver.

So when you're watching the game Sunday, pay special attention to Blount and Moreno. Whoever is having the better game, chances are his quarterback and team are doing better, too.

The Denver-New England game is so hard to call...I know I picked New England but I've been thinking about changing my pick to Denver all week. The Mile High altitude advantage, the Manning revenge factor, the endless injuries on the Patriot's defensive side...no Vince Wolfork, no Brandon Spikes, no etc., etc.

Either way, it should be a helluva game.

I generally agree, but I'll add that the Pats are more of a RB by committee team even though Blount has emerged as the best of the bunch. Still, it wasn't just his monster game last week that lead to the Patriots victory, but also that the Colts couldn't stop any of the Pats' backs. As good as Blount is and has the potential to be, the Patriots don't really have one superstar back, but they have several backs that are capable of "going off" at any time, which makes their running game highly effective. Moreno is more of the prototypical 1,000 yard season clear #1 back.

^ When he's healthy. Moreno hadn't made it past 12 games, without injury, until this past season. Ball is a good 3rd down back for Denver - except he fumbles every now and then. I didn't realize that Julian Thomas didn't play against NE the first time they played each other. He will be a big factor coming across the middle. Still not sure who to pick....

Archived