2013-14 NFL Playoff Predictions thread....

paul carruthers

Should we propose a tie breaker in the event we have one among the four in contention?

Like total points scored, without going over, etc?

Why not have everyone pick the score of the game and see who comes closest? And you can use the total as your tie breaker to boot?

Why not have everyone pick the score of the game and see who comes closest? And you can use the total as your tie breaker to boot?

Works for me.

Paul is the head dude, let's see what he thinks.

Could someone please translate those Roman numerals and tell me the number of this Super Bowl?

Super Bowl XLVIII = 48.

X = 10. L = 50. Whenever a number is to the left of a greater number, you subtract that value...hence, 50 - 10 = 40. V = 5 and I = 1.

There are seven letters used for the Roman Numeral system.

I = 1

V = 5

X = 10

L = 50

C = 100

D= 500

M = 1000

I will bow out because I started late in the season.

I think it should be between the people who were here all year.

Next season I will start from the first game.

Don't you dare bow out, pottedplant! You have every right to be here. The regular season and playoffs are two separate games. Since you've been here for the entire playofff run, there's no call for you to drop out. You're in all the way.

You've already picked Denver, so just put up what you think the final score will be for the game. Whoever is closest to the real score, and is tied for most games picked correctly, wins. And yes, Strider is correct, you should stay in because the playoffs picks is different than regular season. Good job picking the playoffs so well!

So the tie breaker is for the four in contention? Cumulative points of both teams without going over?

The rest of us slugs not in contention, the same as above, i.e., a little bonus contest?

Here is what I don't understand: if I pick the winner correctly but my score is

wrong- do I loose it all? If pickers outside the top four pick the winner and a score

win, can they throw out a top four contender?

Nothing personal here, just business.

Hmmm, those are some good questions? I'll have to straighten it all out at some point, but going by what I do know, I would say if one of the top four finishes with a tie, the final score of the game should be the tiebreaker, I think. I'm sure I'll have it all straightened out by gameday....

Here is what I don't understand: if I pick the winner correctly but my score is

wrong- do I loose it all? If pickers outside the top four pick the winner and a score

win, can they throw out a top four contender?

Nothing personal here, just business.

My understanding is that only you four are in this because you tied in the postseason picks here on the LZ forum. So no, potted, if I were to give a pick and my pick is perfect, it doesn't count in this little battle you guys are in on! Those of us outside you four can still make a pick, but it won't count against you four.

Whoever comes closest without going over wins. If everyone is over, then whoever is closest wins.

That is my understanding! (Usually how it's done in the betting houses).

OMG, Rick. I don't know how such evenly

matched teams could score this many points!!!

I am going to have to think about what I was going

to put up points wise; much lower points I was thinking.

Super Bowls for some reason usually produce more pts than expected. I have to control Peyton and that offense for things to go well for me. But I just do not agree with people that tell me Denver has a defense,. Dallas lit them up. But got lit up back. Still, I think Seattle should be able to move the ball on Denver,. Carroll I am sure will try to control the clock, keep it away from Peyton. Some points will likely come quick like on a turnover. Maybe an interception taken to the house.

My understanding is that only you four are in this because you tied in the postseason picks here on the LZ forum. So no, potted, if I were to give a pick and my pick is perfect, it doesn't count in this little battle you guys are in on! Those of us outside you four can still make a pick, but it won't count against you four.

Whoever comes closest without going over wins. If everyone is over, then whoever is closest wins.

That is my understanding! (Usually how it's done in the betting houses).

Well then, since the stakes are high and we are the official

Led Zeppelin betting house, I will be very careful in my score pick.

Thank you in the evening for such a great explanation.

Okay...pick time.

Defense wins championships.

I have heard it all my life. It is ingrained in just about every athlete, coach, and fan who has participated and/or watched sports.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

The times I have ignored that mantra, seduced by the flashy quarterback and the point-a-minute offense that lights up scoreboards, have been the times I have met my doom in Las Vegas. In 1985, I fell in love with Dan Marino and the Dolphins and put money on them to win the Super Bowl against the 49ers. Access denied. In 1991, after burying my Raiders, I thought Jim Kelly and the Bills would have no trouble beating the Giants and their no-name quarterback, WHO?-stetler. We all know the call...WIDE RIGHT! Then in 2008, after Tom Brady broke Marino's TD record and had a season for the ages, I thought the Patriots would cap a perfect season against Peyton's li'l brother Eli and the Giants. David Tyree had the '72 Dolphins breaking out the champagne.

This is the fifth Super Bowl where the #1 Offense will play the #1 Defense. In three of the four previous Super Bowls where this happened, the defense prevailed.

1979: Pittsburgh's #1 defense beats the #1 Dallas offense.

1985: San Francisco's D beats Miami's Air Marino.

1991: The NY G-Men stop Kelly and the Bills.

Only in the 1990 Super Bowl did the #1 Offense prevail...Montana and the 49ers whipping the Denver Broncos. Frankly, I thought SF's defense was better than Denver's that year, so how Denver's defense was rated #1 is a little suspect to me.

This game reminds me a little of when the Patriots played the Rams in 2002. A brash defensive-minded coach and young unknown quarterback going against a high-scoring MVP Super Bowl winning quarterback. Or when the Giants took on the Bills...or the Patriots.

As such, I am going with Seattle. Denver has not faced a defense like Seattle's all season...the best defense they played all year was Kansas City's, and they were nowhere near as great a defensive team as Seattle. Not one team Denver played in the playoffs had what you would call a "playoff-caliber" defense.

Of course, every Super Bowl has X-factors and one X-factor is the weather. Whether it snows or rains, it is going to be cold, that's for certain. Cold weather affects the offense more than the defense, and so the play-calling may be conservative for a quarter or two, as the teams get a feel for the weather, and each other. Another x-factor could be how Seattle QB Russell Wilson responds to playing in his first Super Bowl. But, honestly, Super Bowl history is rife with first-timers beating their supposedly more experienced rivals, so inexperience isn't the big deal it used to be.

My Super Bowl pick with score:

Seattle 27 Denver 20

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!

Okay...pick time.

I have heard it all my life. It is ingrained in just about every athlete, coach, and fan who has participated and/or watched sports.

DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

The times I have ignored that mantra, seduced by the flashy quarterback and the point-a-minute offense that lights up scoreboards, have been the times I have met my doom in Las Vegas. In 1985, I fell in love with Dan Marino and the Dolphins and put money on them to win the Super Bowl against the 49ers. Access denied. In 1991, after burying my Raiders, I thought Jim Kelly and the Bills would have no trouble beating the Giants and their no-name quarterback, WHO?-stetler. We all know the call...WIDE RIGHT! Then in 2008, after Tom Brady broke Marino's TD record and had a season for the ages, I thought the Patriots would cap a perfect season against Peyton's li'l brother Eli and the Giants. David Tyree had the '72 Dolphins breaking out the champagne.

This is the fifth Super Bowl where the #1 Offense will play the #1 Defense. In three of the four previous Super Bowls where this happened, the defense prevailed.

1979: Pittsburgh's #1 defense beats the #1 Dallas offense.

1985: San Francisco's D beats Miami's Air Marino.

1991: The NY G-Men stop Kelly and the Bills.

Only in the 1990 Super Bowl did the #1 Offense prevail...Montana and the 49ers whipping the Denver Broncos. Frankly, I thought SF's defense was better than Denver's that year, so how Denver's defense was rated #1 is a little suspect to me.

This game reminds me a little of when the Patriots played the Rams in 2002. A brash defensive-minded coach and young unknown quarterback going against a high-scoring MVP Super Bowl winning quarterback. Or when the Giants took on the Bills...or the Patriots.

As such, I am going with Seattle. Denver has not faced a defense like Seattle's all season...the best defense they played all year was Kansas City's, and they were nowhere near as great a defensive team as Seattle. Not one team Denver played in the playoffs had what you would call a "playoff-caliber" defense.

Of course, every Super Bowl has X-factors and one X-factor is the weather. Whether it snows or rains, it is going to be cold, that's for certain. Cold weather affects the offense more than the defense, and so the play-calling may be conservative for a quarter or two, as the teams get a feel for the weather, and each other. Another x-factor could be how Seattle QB Russell Wilson responds to playing in his first Super Bowl. But, honestly, Super Bowl history is rife with first-timers beating their supposedly more experienced rivals, so inexperience isn't the big deal it used to be.

My Super Bowl pick with score:

Seattle 27 Denver 20

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!

So then there really is no point to having the game.

Pack up and go home Peyton 'cause

the Seattle defense has already won the game before

you can even throw one of your duck balls.

Everything you have said is true Strider -man,

But I remember a game not too long ago that everyone

said the Dats could not and would not win, but they did.

I also have to look back at previous SBs and see

where Mr. Brady won, quite a few . Now, Seattle has the best

Defense in the NFL- no doubt, but it takes two teams

to play a championship game- two championship teams.

Seattle could very well win, but I hope not.

Denver 17

Seattle 14

Archived