Robert announcing "sensational" year on Jimmy's birthday tomorrow

JeromeTheMetronome

Pushing, or still having hope that it might materialize before its too late, are two different things. We all know that Jimmy's love for this band will never die, and if the planets aligned, he would be all over a new recording opportunity. Whether it yielded anything would remain to be seen, but I believe he would be there with bells on. LZ is undoubtedly his proudest career moment, and I am quite confident that he hasn't thrown in the towel and checked in to the senior's home yet. I agree that anything large scale, such as a world tour, would not be in the cards, but some new music is still within the realm of physical possibility, even if it is not likely.

I agree Led Zeppelin is probably the proudest moment of his career, but they ceased to exist in 1980, remember, when Bonzo died. Led vZeppelin R.I.P. 1980 - GET OVER IT.

I agree Led Zeppelin is probably the proudest moment of his career, but they ceased to exist in 1980, remember, when Bonzo died. Led vZeppelin R.I.P. 1980 - GET OVER IT.

Well, that's not quite true is it? Remember how they went into the studio and recorded some rough material post O2 (sans Robert)? How about the various shows they've done here and there over the years, including O2? Lest we forget the continued marketing of Zeppelin material, clearly indicating that Zeppelin is alive and well on many levels, and there is certainly an emotional investment from Jones, Plant, and Page. As someone who frequents the forums of a band that ended in 1980, clearly you haven't gotten over it, so perhaps you could be a little more respectful of people who don't share your views. Its not over until the fat lady sings, now is it? I'd be curious to know what you were saying prior to the O2 show....probably the same thing as now. Robert is the one who said, "You'll have to talk to the Capricorns. I've got nothing planned for 2014". If that does not open the door to speculation, then your opinion carries little weight with me.

Well, that's not quite true is it? Remember how they went into the studio and recorded some rough material post O2 (sans Robert)? How about the various shows they've done here and there over the years, including O2? Lest we forget the continued marketing of Zeppelin material, clearly indicating that Zeppelin is alive and well on many levels, and there is certainly an emotional investment from Jones, Plant, and Page. As someone who frequents the forums of a band that ended in 1980, clearly you haven't gotten over it, so perhaps you could be a little more respectful of people who don't share your views. Its not over until the fat lady sings, now is it? I'd be curious to know what you were saying prior to the O2 show....probably the same thing as now. Robert is the one who said, "You'll have to talk to the Capricorns. I've got nothing planned for 2014". If that does not open the door to speculation, then your opinion carries little weight with me.

I'm afraid that you are living in cloud cuckoo land, I was fortunate enough to see Led Zeppelin on 4 occasions in the 70s. When Bonzo died they died, their memory lingers on, but 3 members don't constitute Led Zeppelin, unless of course you want to turn them into a side show like lots of other groups, who still tour under a band name with only one member of the band remaining. Still I imagine you think Elvis is still alive. I frequent the forum to listen to the views of other fans, not to some people's misguided dream of another Led Zeppelin concert.I don't care what weight my opinion carries with you, Robert Plant has said on many occasions that there is no chance of Led Zeppelin reforming. Now if that is opening the door to speculation I think he has slammed it shut.

I'm afraid that you are living in cloud cuckoo land, I was fortunate enough to see Led Zeppelin on 4 occasions in the 70s. When Bonzo died they died, their memory lingers on, but 3 members don't constitute Led Zeppelin, unless of course you want to turn them into a side show like lots of other groups, who still tour under a band name with only one member of the band remaining. Still I imagine you think Elvis is still alive. I frequent the forum to listen to the views of other fans, not to some people's misguided dream of another Led Zeppelin concert.I don't care what weight my opinion carries with you, Robert Plant has said on many occasions that there is no chance of Led Zeppelin reforming. Now if that is opening the door to speculation I think he has slammed it shut.

The fact that you have seen Zeppelin 4 times, and repeatedly need to remind us of that fact, means nothing in terms of your qualification to comment on the meaning of Robert's statement. I never made reference to another concert, so I don't understand what you are prattling on about there. Robert has said a lot of things in his lifetime, and often reconsidered. And, it is not your decision how the name Led Zeppelin gets used. You may recall a recent release entitled Celebration Day that went out under the name Led Zeppelin, even though there were only 3 original members in the group. Try to take the emotion and denigrating comments out of your posts, if that is possible. I simply said that Robert's "2014" related comment should not have been made if he did not want to fan the flames of those who love the group. It would have been easy for him to say, "No. Led Zeppelin has been put to rest". Simple.

The fact that you have seen Zeppelin 4 times, and repeatedly need to remind us of that fact, means nothing in terms of your qualification to comment on the meaning of Robert's statement. I never made reference to another concert, so I don't understand what you are prattling on about there. Robert has said a lot of things in his lifetime, and often reconsidered. And, it is not your decision how the name Led Zeppelin gets used. You may recall a recent release entitled Celebration Day that went out under the name Led Zeppelin, even though there were only 3 original members in the group. Try to take the emotion and denigrating comments out of your posts, if that is possible. I simply said that Roberts 2014 comment should not have been made if he did not want to fan the flames of those who love the group.

Instead I'll just ignore your posts in future, I don't recall REPEATEDLY reminding this site about the Zep concerts I have seen, anyway I am proud to have seen them, as the original Led Zeppelin as in those on the studio albums. Have a good life. by the way what is a "denigrating" statement. You really should get a life, and leave the site to real Led Zeppelin fans not hopefuls.Enjoy the rest of your life.

Instead I'll just ignore your posts in future, I don't recall REPEATEDLY reminding this site about the Zep concerts I have seen, anyway I am proud to have seen them, as the original Led Zeppelin as in those on the studio albums. Have a good life. by the way what is a "denigrating" statement. You really should get a life, and leave the site to real Led Zeppelin fans not hopefuls.Enjoy the rest of your life.

I will. Try not to be so angry, "super fan". See you in ignore land.

Excellent points!!! Well said. I would like to think that time heals all wounds though, and that Robert would acknowledge that everyone has changed since those days. Sometimes I think one has to balance the scales and look at how short life has grown for Jimmy, at the age of 70, and also realize that a Zeppelin revisit could be a simple as one album, and no world tour to follow. Irrespective of my speculation and meanderings, Robert should, at the very least, have the courage of his convictions and say NO. NEVER. To continually fan the flames is wrong, and I, for one, put a fair bit of stock in his availability comment, as I did not think that he would open that can of worms, yet again, if there was not more to it. Mostly, I just feel bad for Jimmy. I want this more for him than for me. He deserves one more go before his story comes to a permanent end.

I've always taken what Robert says in interviews with a very big grain of salt.

He has a very dry, sarcastic witt... much like he stated John Paul Jones' sense of humor is "an aquired taste".. so isn't his own.

When he made the comment about being available in 2014 and "ask the Capricorns"... If I remember correctly, he was being interviewed by a beautiful reporter. He also had his daughter, Carmen and and grandchild looking on.. He was obviously in a playful, flirty mood or whatever. This obviously didn't translate well on paper.. He has never really waivered on his stance that without John Bonham he won't do it.. A one off for charity? great.. A "non Led Zeppelin" collaboration with Jimmy? Sure why not..

But to reform LED ZEPPELIN 34 years later without his best friend... NO WAY.

and I think deep down ... we all know this..

I've always taken what Robert says in interviews with a very big grain of salt.

He has a very dry, sarcastic witt... much like he stated John Paul Jones' sense of humor is "an aquired taste".. so isn't his own.

When he made the comment about being available in 2014 and "ask the Capricorns"... If I remember correctly, he was being interviewed by a beautiful reporter. He also had his daughter, Carmen and and grandchild looking on.. He was obviously in a playful, flirty mood or whatever. This obviously didn't translate well on paper.. He has never really waivered on his stance that without John Bonham he won't do it.. A one off for charity? great.. A "non Led Zeppelin" collaboration with Jimmy? Sure why not..

But to reform LED ZEPPELIN 34 years later without his best friend... NO WAY.

and I think deep down ... we all know this..

100% agreed, and I usually resist the temptation to fall for this stuff, but there was something that seemed tangible about Robert's comment, and I will be the first to admit that I got drawn in.

Pushing, or still having hope that it might materialize before its too late, are two different things. We all know that Jimmy's love for this band will never die, and if the planets aligned, he would be all over a new recording opportunity. Whether it yielded anything would remain to be seen, but I believe he would be there with bells on. LZ is undoubtedly his proudest career moment, and I am quite confident that he hasn't thrown in the towel and checked in to the senior's home yet. I agree that anything large scale, such as a world tour, would not be in the cards, but some new music is still within the realm of physical possibility, even if it is not likely.

You have no idea if he is still physically capable of playing to any extent at this point. Has he played anything at all in the last six years? He also has not been banging the reunion drum to the best of my knowledge. Most 70 year olds are retired from their life's work, perhaps he has. You might believe he'd be there with bells on, but you don't know that. Maybe he's happy having RP be the bad guy in the press. Oh, and if JPJ has any say in this, I believe he is busy writing an opera.

You have no idea if he is still physically capable of playing to any extent at this point. Has he played anything at all in the last six years? He also has not been banging the reunion drum to the best of my knowledge. Most 70 year olds are retired from their life's work, perhaps he has. You might believe he'd be there with bells on, but you don't know that. Maybe he's happy having RP be the bad guy in the press. Oh, and if JPJ has any say in this, I believe he is busy writing an opera.

Very true. And you have no idea that he isn't capable and isn't interested. I would suggest that the fact that he is out about town getting spotted by fans, and running to record fairs on a regular basis, would suggest that he is not as "physically old" as you might be suggesting. I would think that his statement that he is "unleashing" new solo material this year would imply that he can still play guitar. I suppose if Jonesy and Plant phoned him up and said, "Jimmy, let's give another Led Zeppelin album a go while we still can", Page might say, "Nah. I'm too old now", but I doubt it. The fact that Page is silent on the topic should not be construed as a lack of interest. Perhaps, he has come to terms with the notion that others may never come around, and is manifesting his love for Zeppelin in never ending related projects, such as the Deluxe Editions. Perhaps he has put it all too bed for good; I suppose only he knows, and we are all entitled to an opinion, and to hope, in the absence of a definitive position from the man himself stating that it will NEVER happen. My opinion is that anything is still possible, even if it is improbable. I also believe that Page would love one more chance to reprise Led Zeppelin, but that's just my gut talking. You never give up on Led Zeppelin; they always seem to have something up their collective sleeve. Page is like a proud father when it comes to Zeppelin, and I strongly believe that this love will endure for the rest of his days. Hopefully this clarifies my position on this. I just can't close that door completely, but I acknowledge that the probabilities of the lads reuniting on any level is low. Plant's comment fanned the flames for some, and what is more compelling, is that he never went back to clarify, once the media started making hay with it.

There is a big difference between going shopping or attending shows and playing. He has a documented history of tendonitis and broken fingers so it is probable that there is some arthritis and he's been saying for years that there will be a solo project next year.

I doubt that we'll ever get a definitive position from JP, why should he? I'm just glad that RP and JPJ are still out there playing and I hope to see one of the other this year.

There is a big difference between going shopping or attending shows and playing. He has a documented history of tendonitis and broken fingers so it is probable that there is some arthritis and he's been saying for years that there will be a solo project next year.

I doubt that we'll ever get a definitive position from JP, why should he? I'm just glad that RP and JPJ are still out there playing and I hope to see one of the other this year.

I agree. There is no onus on him to provide a definitive statement on this, and that means that your beliefs are equally as valid, or equally as invalid, as mine, in the absence of such a statement from Page. I know that Jimmy has been saying things for years, but until 2014 has come and gone without anything new from him, I won't be so quick to conclude that he is not being truthful.

You do realize he wasn't serious?

Yes, I do now, SAJ. For whatever reason, when I saw that interview, I thought that the underlying message may have been genuine, despite the playful tone. Call it wishful thinking, but once that started making the rounds in magazines, etc, I don`t recall Robert ever putting an end to the speculation. As a fan of many, many years, I was unfortunately seduced, and it is clear from some of the posts in this thread that I was not the only one. I think the Sabbath reunion also gave me a glimmer of hope, as their experience may have set the example for others who had toyed with the idea of giving it one last go.

Yes, I do now, SAJ. For whatever reason, when I saw that interview, I thought that the underlying message may have been genuine, despite the playful tone. Call it wishful thinking, but once that started making the rounds in magazines, etc, I don`t recall Robert ever putting an end to the speculation. As a fan of many, many years, I was unfortunately seduced, and it is clear from some of the posts in this thread that I was not the only one. I think the Sabbath reunion also gave me a glimmer of hope, as their experience may have set the example for others who had toyed with the idea of giving it one last go.

You don't recall Robert ever putting an end to the speculation? It seems to me that's exactly what he did with this announcement on Jimmy's 70th birthday, and yet the dreamers and the delusional will keep banging their reformation drums.

Sabbath's reunion gave you hope?! Sabbath has reunited like ten different times now.

You don't recall Robert ever putting an end to the speculation? It seems to me that's exactly what he did with this announcement on Jimmy's 70th birthday, and yet the dreamers and the delusional will keep banging their reformation drums.

Sabbath's reunion gave you hope?! Sabbath has reunited like ten different times now.

.....and they still haven't got it right yet!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for stating the painfully obvious about Robert's announcement. That's what started this discussion in the first place; note the title of the thread..

Thanks for stating the painfully obvious about Robert's announcement. That's what started this discussion in the first place; note the title of the thread..

Well, I did think it is obvious and had noted the title of the thread, as such I haven't been the one banging the reformation drum - ever!

Well, I did think it is obvious and had noted the title of the thread, as such I haven't been the one banging the reformation drum - ever!

Yes, and........? I assume that this is something that you are please about? There is room for hope and pessimism in this area of discussion. I have never held out much in the way of hope, but Page et al, should not be under estimated. I do agree that anything from them is highly improbable, but I have being saying that since 1980, and have been surprised along the way. I'm relatively new to this discussion, on this board, and perhaps I am missing out on a historical perspective at LZ.com, but that puts me at a disadvantage in understanding the angst that accompanies this topic.

I'm relatively new to this discussion, on this board, and perhaps I am missing out on a historical perspective at LZ.com, but that puts me at a disadvantage in understanding the angst that accompanies this topic.

Well then, that explains everything...only one of us has already endured six years of this crap here.

Well then, that explains everything...only one of us has already endured six years of this crap here.

Truer words were never spoken. If I had endured 6 years of it, like you have, I would not allow myself to get drawn in anymore. I feel for you there. You must remember that I have been a Zep fan forever, but that was a solitary experience, and I had never been on a LZ forum before. Perhaps that contributed to some false hopes and perceptions, but I thought that fellow fans here would be able to express their counter thoughts without being hostile about it. It's really too bad. But the PM's of support have meant a lot.

Truer words were never spoken. If I had endured 6 years of it, like you have, I would not allow myself to get drawn in anymore. I feel for you there. You must remember that I have been a Zep fan forever, but that was a solitary experience, and I had never been on a LZ forum before. Perhaps that contributed to some false hopes and perceptions, but I thought that fellow fans here would be able to express their counter thoughts without being hostile about it. It's really too bad. But the PM's of support have meant a lot.

I get drawn into a lot less here than I used to because I've put so many on permanent ignore. I do think the time has come for me to ignore all reformation/reunion discussions in general, as well as what I find to be the equally pointless and incessant "Jimmy could do...Jimmy might do" discussions. In so doing, I will focus on the (very) few topics of interest still being discussed here and elsewhere 30+ years after disbandment.

Why so angry? As a long time lurker very shortime poster i was drawn to the topic

because of the irritation felt about the way Plant always(i am going back as far as his first solo album)

attempts to hitch his current vehicle to the Zeppelin reformation horse.I find it especially irritating and bad mannered

that he did it on Jimmy's birthday.That's the thread. If others make juvenile comments about Zep reforming fine

but to call it crap?? If you want to look at it realistically a discussion board about a band that's been defunct for 30+years

is all crap(in a cosmic sense) is it not?

Why so angry? As a long time lurker very shortime poster i was drawn to the topic

because of the irritation felt about the way Plant always(i am going back as far as his first solo album)

attempts to hitch his current vehicle to the Zeppelin reformation horse.I find it especially irritating and bad mannered

that he did it on Jimmy's birthday.That's the thread. If others make juvenile comments about Zep reforming fine

but to call it crap?? If you want to look at it realistically a discussion board about a band that's been defunct for 30+years

I'm not angry at all by this, just bored.

I'm never surprised when Robert invokes Led Zeppelin because were it not for that association his solo career probably would have sputtered out after Shaken n' Stirred. Bill Curbishley came along and did many great things for Robert as manager, the greatest being to get him to fully accept he had to embrace his past if he wanted to continue to maintain a viable solo career. So whenever attempting to tour he will flirt with the past, delivering a joke, a wink and a nod from time to time while keeping just enough of their music in the setlist to satisfy the diehards.

However, the trajectory of the Page/Plant partnership went from lift off to disintegration within five short years (1994-1998) and anyone who observed that first hand knows there is no way Robert would ever return to the Led Zeppelin fold again. His decision was/is final: he doesn't want to work with Page on that level again and as such hasn't in nearly 15 YEARS.

The timing of the announcement is not insensitive to anyone, it is honest, direct, righteous: "(Happy Birthday); don't even think about it".

You're not the first person to think this but you're wrong. I've copied and pasted the below points from the RO board basically outlines the time frames of releases.

Poster #1.

Hmmm...I'm actually looking forward to this.

I might have my timelines wrong but I would vote 'no' on the 02 being around the bend...I think traditionally the 'flow' of releases is/are:

1. A zep related thingy gets launched/promoted.

2. Robert conducts a silent two to three week snap count and then launches something 'solo related' to ride the crest of the Zep stuff.

Poster #2.

Your timelines are WAY off. It's actually the complete opposite...for every Plant release.

Pictures At Eleven 6/82 > Coda 11/82

Manic Nirvana 3/90 > Remasters 10/90

Fate Of Nations 5/93 > Box Set II and The Complete Studio Recordings 9/93

Plant..nothing between 93 and 02 > BBC 11/97 and Early Days 2/02 > Dreamland 7/02 > Latter Days 11/02

(Dreamland is about the closest any releases ever were...and were meaningless for Zep IMO)

HTWWW 5.03 > Mighty Rearanger 4/05 > Mothership 11/07 > BOJ 9/10

Not once in his solo career has Plant steped on Zep's shoes or rode their coattails when it came to coinciding record release dates/promotion. Class act!

I'm also not sure that I understand this obsession with birthdays. Outside my immediate family, I don't keep track of anyone's birthday, especially someone I don't even know. It's just a day that passed relatively unacknowledged by anyone one publicly other than on fanboards and possibly in the musician communities. RP announcing a somewhat small tour on JP's birthday is only pissing off a small percentage of somewhat fanatical fans. Who knows if it was even Robert who made the decision to announce it then or a publicist.

Archived