Robert announcing "sensational" year on Jimmy's birthday tomorrow

JeromeTheMetronome

Plant..nothing between 93 and 02 > BBC 11/97 and Early Days 2/02 > Dreamland 7/02 > Latter Days 11/02

(Dreamland is about the closest any releases ever were...and were meaningless for Zep IMO)

Not once in his solo career has Plant stepped on Zep's shoes or rode their coattails when it came to coinciding record release dates/promotion. Class act!

I'm also not sure that I understand this obsession with birthdays. Outside my immediate family, I don't keep track of anyone's birthday, especially someone I don't even know. It's just a day that passed relatively unacknowledged by anyone one publicly other than on fanboards and possibly in the musician communities. RP announcing a somewhat small tour on JP's birthday is only pissing off a small percentage of somewhat fanatical fans. Who knows if it was even Robert who made the decision to announce it then or a publicist.

Early Days & Latter Days were originally released in 1999...as I recall they were merely repackaged and re-released in 2002.

Your post focuses on the album release timeline but consider his TOURING timeline, which seemingly by design has often coincided with Led Zeppelin reunions/releases...'83, '85, '88, '90, '93, (w/Page '94-98), '03, '08 - not that there's anything conspiratorial or wrong with it. Call it coincidence if not good cross-promotion. In fact, if you remember immediately following their Live Aid performance he was being pressed backstage about doing more and was lightning quick to mention the solo tour he was in the midst of. We saw this again in 2007...the world was clamoring for more as he was in the midst of promoting Raising Sand and the tour which followed. I don't begrudge him any of that at all. My patience has grown thin with the dreamers and the delusional who keep banging the reformation drum 30 plus years after disbandment.

The significance of Page's 70th birthday has been overblown, but it is a milestone nonetheless and one which many fans were aware of and anticipating. The intended audience for the announcement isn't Page, it's the fans. The significance of Plant's announcement isn't in the scale of his touring activity, rather it is the scope. Despite a quip to the contrary, it makes clear he's going to continue on his journey with the Strange Sensation for at least another six months or so. Once again - of course - all set to coincide with Led Zeppelin releases.

Why so angry? As a long time lurker very shortime poster i was drawn to the topic

because of the irritation felt about the way Plant always(i am going back as far as his first solo album)

attempts to hitch his current vehicle to the Zeppelin reformation horse.I find it especially irritating and bad mannered

that he did it on Jimmy's birthday.That's the thread. If others make juvenile comments about Zep reforming fine

but to call it crap?? If you want to look at it realistically a discussion board about a band that's been defunct for 30+years

is all crap(in a cosmic sense) is it not?

Thanks for clarifying. I thought your anger was coming out of left field .. It make more sense now that you've explained your reasoning.

I suppose there are 2 ways to look at this.. To me it seems more like.. Many times Robert does anything solo related, the mighty Led Zeppelin shadow looms...

Pictures at Eleven gets released --- Coda is released right on its heels.

Shakin and Stirred Tour (mid tour) ... Live Aid...

Now And Zen Tour - Atlantic 40th ...

etc.. right down to Jimmy Page turns 70 ... Robert announces Tour...

That's the price / reward of having been in one of the most important rock bands of all time.

Robert should be able to use Zeppelin as a springboard for what he's doing now... He was a major part of the band.

They all should be able to for that matter. Paul McCartney will always be an Ex Beatle.

But, he still should have made his announcement on January 10th... :>)

It's a fairly safe bet to guess where a 'Happy Birthday' thread would have gone if Plant had not made his announcement. Plant, in one fell swoop put the kibosh on what would have become the Jimmy Page 70th birthday reformation speculation thread. I for one take my hat of to Robert for making his announcement when he did. In my view there was no disrespect shown whatsoever.

Well then, that explains everything...only one of us has already endured six years of this crap here.

Oh Steve, for an extremely gifted and intelligent guy, you're so painfully full of yourself that there is no

room for others' curiosity, hopes, dreams, and visions. 6 YEARS of this crap....? You poor, poor man -

such a hard, difficult life you've had - for 6 WHOLE years!!

Oh Steve, for an extremely gifted and intelligent guy, you're so painfully full of yourself that there is no

room for others' curiosity, hopes, dreams, and visions. 6 YEARS of this crap....? You poor, poor man -

such a hard, difficult life you've had - for 6 WHOLE years!!

What you call the hopes, dreams and visions being expressed here I call deluded notions. It makes you call me full of myself, but it doesn't make me wrong. The Led Zeppelin reunion tour...Jimmy's solo masterpiece...blah blah blah. I'm just done with it, and have been for years.

You do realize he wasn't serious?

Robert is a joker,loves to joke around,when he said see what the capricorn said a reunion never crossed my mind,I dont think they ever will and at their ages why would they want too,just to please fans,all I can wish for is a time machine to the 70's and that will never happen either

Out of due diligence, I went through years of old posts, and I understand how the topic of new tours and albums has gotten very old over the past few years. I am shocked at the many, many, many discussions around this topic, and the crazy speculation. As I mentioned earlier, I have not existed in this on-line world, and had no frame of reference as to the extent of the speculation. I have a new perspective on things. Having said that, there is always room for politeness in these threads.

What you call the hopes, dreams and visions being expressed here I call deluded notions. It makes you call me full of myself, but it doesn't make me wrong. The Led Zeppelin reunion tour...Jimmy's solo masterpiece...blah blah blah. I'm just done with it, and have been for years.

That's fine Steve, so you're "just done with it"...that's cool. No one here criticizes your feelings on the reunion or solo stuff. So why don't

you just leave others to their feelings on these subjects - foolish or not. Everyone is entitled to their views and expectations.

If it is true that the future holds no more creative production from the remaining members of Zeppelin - so be it. In the meantime who

gets hurt with speculation and discussion? No one. It's just talk and memories re-lived over a brew.

• 3 weeks later...

According to The Pulse Of Radio, Robert Plant is deep into sessions for his first studio set with his current band the SENSATIONAL SPACE SHIFTERS. Back in 2012, Plant rush released a surprise live album from the band — only two weeks after recording the set in London. In addition to Patty Griffin, the SPACE SHIFTERS features members of Plant's pre-BAND OF JOY group, STRANGE SENSATIONS, including frequent Plant collaborator Justin Adams.

Plant revealed that work is underway on the SENSATIONAL SPACE SHIFTERS' studio debut, telling Uncut, "We've been in the studio… We've got nine tracks already… We've been going into the studio with little filigrees of ideas that have popped up while we've been touring. [LED ZEPPELIN's] 'Led Zeppelin II' was created entirely on the road, and I think that's kind of been going on here, too."

He went on to say, "Do I have a prospective title for the album? I've got a hundred titles. I'll just pull one out from my book. It says here 'Ramshackle'. But it also says 'Slant', which I quite like. 'Help Is On The Way'. That's a good title! I've got a book, but it's out in my writing room. It's just a bit of a barn where I can go when the grandchildren attack. I've got loads and loads of lyric books, and I'm going to have them burned when I die so nobody knows who I was talking about."

Plant and the band have been recording at the home base of another artist who's open to musical change almost as much as Plant is. "We use Peter Gabriel's studio sometimes, and between Peter and myself, we more or less keep a certain crew in business all year round," he said.

Robert Plant told The Pulse Of Radio that the success he found in 2007 with the "Raising Sand" album both liberated and centered him creatively. "Following the work with Alison Krauss, which was a spectacular revival of my spirit in a way, I felt I could do more or less anything, I could sink and swim," he said. "There was no real big partnership moment. I don't have to ask anybody anything. I just stood there a little bit like I did when I was about 17."

There's been no hard release date set for Plant's SENSATION SPACE SHIFTERS album beyond "spring 2014."

I found that article a bit odd. I was under the impression that the record was finished - I mean on Robert's Facebook page he recently posted about listening to a playback of the new album at Electric Lady Studios. Back in December he posted that work on the record was 'almost complete'. However, the article gives the impression that its very much a work in progress in which case 'Spring 2014' sounds a bit optimistic.

Archived