Your Turntable

Charles J. White

I'm looking for a good plug n spin kit that's compatible with my s-shaped tonearm . The prices are all over the place and into the thousands and what a great thing that is. For the love of sound!  It all comes down to what you can afford though. I'm due for an upgrade. I guess the more you spend the better. I hope I can get something decent around $200. Hope I don't end up with something that sounds like my old childhood fisher price turntable, well actually I liked my childhood fisher price turntable so scratch that.

The VM540ML goes for about $289 and is demonstrated here and sounds excellent.

Edited by luvlz2

I hope I got good advice from turntableneedles dot com about a better plug n spin kit for my turntable. It recommended a Nagaoka plug n spin kit, so I ordered one. Now balancing it out with my turntable is going to be another thing, hopefully it's not too difficult.

Edited by luvlz2

If I spent $1600 on a turntable I'm not sure I would want to have some place make all these adjustments to my new turntable right out of the box. Actually they are very important adjustments but do they really need to be done on a new turntable? I guess so. Actually I want to find a reliable place that does this kind of work just in case I am over my head when I try to install my new plug n spin kit.

Edited by luvlz2

I've used a turntable a long time but that doesn't mean that I can do all the adjustments that can be done. I have a lot to learn. As long as it's not too complicated switching plug n spin kits (headshell, cartridge, stylus, etc.) I will be cool, but if it's really too long and drawn out of a process it may discourage me, I know patience is a virtue with stuff like this. You have to align it (the stylus, cartridge, etc.), do sound tests, etc. Still waiting for my nagaoka mp-110h to arrive.

Edited by luvlz2

6 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

If I spent $1600 on a turntable I'm not sure I would want to have some place make all these adjustments to my new turntable right out of the box. Actually they are very important adjustments but do they really need to be done on a new turntable? I guess so. Actually I want to find a reliable place that does this kind of work just in case I am over my head when I try to install my new plug n spin kit.

Setting up is part of the fun, the tracking weight, the bias, cartridge alignment, the overhang etc, all what you do when you have a decent TT.

On 3/15/2019 at 2:05 AM, JTM said:

Setting up is part of the fun, the tracking weight, the bias, cartridge alignment, the overhang etc, all what you do when you have a decent TT.

Right, looks like I should get some tools such as a digital scale for measuring tracking weight and other tools I'll need to have as well. I'll find out soon enough. I ordered a shiit mani preamp which I am very stoked about. Supposed to be a great match for the plug n spin kit i'm getting.

Edited by luvlz2

4 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Right, looks like I should get some tools such as a digital scale for measuring tracking weight and other tools I'll need to have as well. I'll find out soon enough. I ordered a shiit mani preamp which I am very stoked about. Supposed to be a great match for the plug n spin kit i'm getting.

A digital scale is essential, they're cheap too. My amp has a phono stage so a pre amp is not needed. Get yourself a stylus brush, also for cleaning my stylus I use a small slice of "Magic Eraser" glued to a coin for some extra stylus cleaning (cheap and effective, check out a vid or two on YouTube). Have fun. Oh and don't neglect keeping your records clean.

On 3/17/2019 at 3:56 AM, JTM said:

A digital scale is essential, they're cheap too. My amp has a phono stage so a pre amp is not needed. Get yourself a stylus brush, also for cleaning my stylus I use a small slice of "Magic Eraser" glued to a coin for some extra stylus cleaning (cheap and effective, check out a vid or two on YouTube). Have fun. Oh and don't neglect keeping your records clean.

Interesting tip about the magic eraser, I'll have to give it a try thanks for the heads up. I do have a stylus brush and as far a record cleaning goes I have a discwasher and a record cleaning arm. Running the record cleaning arm prior to playing a vinyl works very well.

IMG_20190323_2235483_rewind.jpg.ac72e79b9a0ea7cb4139083ed2f3b77e.jpg

I received and installed my nagaoka mp -110h and my shiit mani preamp a couple of days later.

The nagaoka mp-110h plug n spin kit was an extremely easy install, literally plug n spin just like it says. 

It's a great sound improvement from the factory kit I'd been using. 

The shiit mani preamp further improves the sound as well so I am pretty happy.

I did increase the tracking-force and anti-skating settings on my turntable to accommodate the new plug n spin kit.

I still have to get a digital scale and other tools that I can make more exact adjustments with but in the meantime it is sounding absolutely great!

IMG_20190323_2217211_rewind.thumb.jpg.c88eebf5c017cb8432df2cb363d8f0b7.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 8:50 AM, luvlz2 said:

Interesting tip about the magic eraser, I'll have to give it a try thanks for the heads up. I do have a stylus brush and as far a record cleaning goes I have a discwasher and a record cleaning arm. Running the record cleaning arm prior to playing a vinyl works very well.

IMG_20190323_2235483_rewind.jpg.ac72e79b9a0ea7cb4139083ed2f3b77e.jpg

Well the magic eraser seems to work, it's cheap way to help keep a stylus clean combined with other methods.

• 2 weeks later...

New Rival Sons on vinyl is excellent!

The turntable is a 1979 Yamaha YP-D4, powered by a 1978 Pioneer SX-680, with a traditional stereo setup using a pair of Advent Prodigy Tower speakers.

20190407_193625.jpg

20190408_075330.jpg

Edited by zepscoda