Your Turntable

Charles J. White

Too many to list. Most are shelved, but my daily driver is a Technics SL 3300. I've also got a Marantz 6100 and a Micro Seiki BL 31, amongst others.

Funny thing. I bought my Technics SL 3300 new in box when it was 17 years old. I found it at a garage sale, unused. $10 for the works. It is 35 years old now, and still mint. A really fine table, but not amongst the exotic brands.

Linn Sondek LP12 with a Linn LVV tone arm fitted with an Ortofon vms 40 cartridge, bought in 1982. It has been a long time since it was last used (it needs a very expensive service and upgrade)....It has been stored in my attic for at least ten years.

Linn Sondek LP12 with a Linn LVV tone arm fitted with an Ortofon vms 40 cartridge, bought in 1982. It has been a long time since it was last used (it needs a very expensive service and upgrade)....It has been stored in my attic for at least ten years.

That is one very special table. Always wanted one. Get her back in action.

• 4 months later...

Playing "Rush-Spirit Of The Airwaves" on my Realistic LAB-420. a british import I recently picked up of a radio broadcast from their 1980 Permanent Waves tour, it's an unofficial release.

post-15049-0-87933500-1402376002_thumb.j

• 4 years later...

I know modern good quality turntables get pretty expensive and it can be discouraging. It seems like you have to spend over a grand to get a turntable that is comparable in sound with the old good turntables that were a fraction of the price of these newer turntables.

I stick with my old school Realistic LAB-420 turntable and the sound is imo just as good or better than most of the comparably priced modern usb turntables currently on the market.

My turntable does require a separate preamp and there are some good  phono preamps out there and I went with one that I've heard good reviews about, the Shiit Mani preamp.

Is anyone still using a turntable with a preamp and if so, what kind of phono preamp do you use?

Or is there any usb turntable users out there?

On 1/10/2014 at 1:44 PM, JTM said:

Righty. November just gone I got my Linn out of the attic, It badly needed a service, so I booked it in at "House of Linn" for a lookover. I ended up getting g a new motor, new belt, new mat, a Hercules board so it now plays 45s as well as 33s, an Audio Technica ATX5EX cartridge to get me up and running. I could do with replacing the LVX tonearm, that will come somewhere down the line. The cartridge that was on it previous to the service turns out was an Ortofon 500 series (not a VMS) so I just ordered a replacement stylus for that (if only I hadn't discarded the broken one years ago). It's cost me close to a grand (£) to get back on the Vinyl road, but I'm well happy.

B0EBE513-F36E-4173-AACB-0926D008E3BA.jpeg

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 1:47 PM, The Dark Lord said:

That is one very special table. Always wanted one. Get her back in action.

I finally took your advice, only took me four and three quarter years. Man, have I missed my vinyl.

On 6/16/2014 at 8:40 PM, luvlz2 said:

For 99 dollars (at least right now) this is pretty neat, a little battery powered volkswagon that drives around your records and plays them, no turntable needed!

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Stokyo-Soundwagon-Portable-Record-Player-109593152-i3225449.gc

Literally one of the dumbest ideas ever. Leave it to the Japanese to come up with a useless gadget.

Archived