Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Charles J. White

Your Turntable

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I'm looking for a good plug n spin kit that's compatible with my s-shaped tonearm . The prices are all over the place and into the thousands and what a great thing that is. For the love of sound!  It all comes down to what you can afford though. I'm due for an upgrade. I guess the more you spend the better. I hope I can get something decent around $200. Hope I don't end up with something that sounds like my old childhood fisher price turntable, well actually I liked my childhood fisher price turntable so scratch that.

The VM540ML goes for about $289 and is demonstrated here and sounds excellent.

 

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which country makes the best turntable cartridges? Is it Japan? Or Germany?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I hope I got good advice from turntableneedles dot com about a better plug n spin kit for my turntable. It recommended a Nagaoka plug n spin kit, so I ordered one. Now balancing it out with my turntable is going to be another thing, hopefully it's not too difficult.

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got two turntables and a microphone.

20190310_163508.thumb.jpg.d92deeaa4ad81c34ccb038f95bab3c2d.jpg20190310_164026.thumb.jpg.2c84844825f9f8a66d6cb1ca61ce84fb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

If I spent $1600 on a turntable I'm not sure I would want to have some place make all these adjustments to my new turntable right out of the box. Actually they are very important adjustments but do they really need to be done on a new turntable? I guess so. Actually I want to find a reliable place that does this kind of work just in case I am over my head when I try to install my new plug n spin kit.

 

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've used a turntable a long time but that doesn't mean that I can do all the adjustments that can be done. I have a lot to learn. As long as it's not too complicated switching plug n spin kits (headshell, cartridge, stylus, etc.) I will be cool, but if it's really too long and drawn out of a process it may discourage me, I know patience is a virtue with stuff like this. You have to align it (the stylus, cartridge, etc.), do sound tests, etc. Still waiting for my nagaoka mp-110h to arrive.

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

If I spent $1600 on a turntable I'm not sure I would want to have some place make all these adjustments to my new turntable right out of the box. Actually they are very important adjustments but do they really need to be done on a new turntable? I guess so. Actually I want to find a reliable place that does this kind of work just in case I am over my head when I try to install my new plug n spin kit.

 

Setting up is part of the fun, the tracking weight, the bias, cartridge alignment, the overhang etc, all what you do when you have a decent TT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 2:05 AM, JTM said:

Setting up is part of the fun, the tracking weight, the bias, cartridge alignment, the overhang etc, all what you do when you have a decent TT.

Right, looks like I should get some tools such as a digital scale for measuring tracking weight and other tools I'll need to have as well. I'll find out soon enough. I ordered a shiit mani preamp which I am very stoked about. Supposed to be a great match for the plug n spin kit i'm getting.

Edited by luvlz2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

Right, looks like I should get some tools such as a digital scale for measuring tracking weight and other tools I'll need to have as well. I'll find out soon enough. I ordered a shiit mani preamp which I am very stoked about. Supposed to be a great match for the plug n spin kit i'm getting.

A digital scale is essential, they're cheap too. My amp has a phono stage so a pre amp is not needed. Get yourself a stylus brush, also for cleaning my stylus I use a small slice of "Magic Eraser" glued to a coin for some extra stylus cleaning (cheap and effective, check out a vid or two on YouTube). Have fun. Oh and don't neglect keeping your records clean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×