2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Congrats to Rick, ebk and any other O's fans I may be missing... :party:

Thanks Paul and to Strider too I think. I fear the Angels more than any NL team or AL team. Are you kidding. A couple of wise guys on MLB like the Nats to win it but think the O's get there. I telll you now, if we play the Nats, we beat them. The Dodgers have been a disappointment with their consistency. But they have Kershaw and he could be good for 3 series wins. They just have to figure out how to win that extra game. Puig got fucked at the plate last night. Bases loaded and they called him out looking at a low pitch. That fucking umpire. Cost me two streaks and 4 parlays.

What a party after the O's win. Now Buck has a tough job. Figuring out the lineup. I know one thing, De Aza has earned the right to play left field. Cruz should be the DH and Delmon Young will have to be a pinch hitter where he excels. I would go with this kid Palades at thrid. Kellie Johnson is good too. But I think Palades is more consistent. Hardy, Schoop and Pearce are no brainers to make up the rest of the infield. I guess Buck will continue to alternate Joseph and Hundley. A good move to keep them fresh. They can both hit. Joseph has an edge on defense, but neither is Matt Wieters. But one will be a great guy to play along side of Matt next year. I will hate to see either go. My guess is they keep Joseph. Right now it looks like the Tigers will be our opponent. I have to see if the Angels won again last night. I hope not.

Well I just looked at the schedule and also saw Seattle finally broke out vs the Angels. The Angels finish with six road games at Oakland and Seattle. The O's have Boston, Yankees and Toronto. If we tie, we win. We won the season series. What that would do is make the Angels likely play the Tigers, assuming they continue to handle KC? But that is no certainty with the shitty bullpen Detroit has. But lets for a minute say it happens. Detroit and Anaheim and Baltimore vs the wild card one off winner, likely either Oakland, Seattle or KC. Seattle scares me more than Oakland or KC. We would demolish KC. And I believe Oakland also. King Felix would bring a Kershaw type toughness to the series. But he is not Kershaw. Maybe playing the Tigers is a better deal? Who knows. They do not scare me any more. They have 4 good hitters. 4 Very good starters but NO BULLPEN. Come the late innings the Orioles can paste them

Olé! Olé! Olé!

A new AL East Division Champ has been crowned! Congratulations to the Baltimore Orioles! After years of Yankee and Red Sox domination, there's a new sheriff in town. Well done, Os.

I'm happy for all the Orioles fans here, too. I know you've waited a long time.

Yes Rick, that statement includes you. ;)

Yes Rick, that statement includes you. ;)

Do you think the Angels will hang on to the best record? Do you want them to? Do you fear Seattle or Detroit more? I guess I would actually fear Seattle more. But KC is in this still. If they can solve Detroit at home, it could change everything. If they can hang around until the late innings they can take advantage of Detroit's horrible bullpen. The worst of any playoff contender easily

I'd love that match up.o

Right now I wonder if the Dodgers are a real lock to win the best of five? I think Kershaw beats anyone in game one, it wont be the Nationals unless its the NLCS, so I am not talking about the Nats yet. Pittsburgh or SF perhaps. Or Milwaukee? Atlanta still has a shot but not only need sweep the Pirates but win starting right now. Unlikely. The AL Wild CArd race is more interesting. Detroit and KC must decide that division first. Seattle may be coming on after last night. Finally woke up and against the team I wanted them to wake up against. I hope they beat the Angels so we can catch them. If Detroit beats KC like they usually do and wins the central, Oakland is likely to face either KC or Seattle in a one off. I do not see Seattle losing a one off with the King. If KC is able to hang around with the Tigers til the late innings they may be able to feast on that bullpen and take the central. Leaving Detroit to possibly play a one off. They have had Oakland's number but Seattle is also in the mix. I really hope KC gets in for their long suffering fans even if its only for a game. I prefer they win the central. Then I think its the Orioles and Angels in the ALCS for sure. I do not like the 5 game series. It has to worry all teams. We have 3 go to guys as well as the rest. Our bullpen is solid with O'Day and Brach prepared to go long relief and Miller is a monster in the late innings. I am not sure if there is a guy in our lineup that can't hit the ball out. It will be interesting to see how Buck approaches this. Does he go after the Angels all out?

Watch the Yankees/ Rays and the Orioles and Jays as trouble may be looming in both series. Bad blood, and hit batters in both. Benches cleared in Tampa last night. Jeter was hit. Stage is set

Do you think the Angels will hang on to the best record? Do you want them to? Do you fear Seattle or Detroit more? I guess I would actually fear Seattle more. But KC is in this still. If they can solve Detroit at home, it could change everything. If they can hang around until the late innings they can take advantage of Detroit's horrible bullpen. The worst of any playoff contender easily

I'll wait until the Angels are actually IN the playoffs before speculating on anything.

Does the name Dave Henderson mean anything to you? It does to me...I break out in a cold sweat when I hear that name. I also still remember the Angels epic collapse in 1995...losing an 11-game lead to Seattle. So yeah, I fear Seattle and don't think the Angels have the division or the best record wrapped up by any means.

Calamity could strike at any time.

I'll wait until the Angels are actually IN the playoffs before speculating on anything.

Does the name Dave Henderson mean anything to you? It does to me...I break out in a cold sweat when I hear that name. I also still remember the Angels epic collapse in 1995...losing an 11-game lead to Seattle. So yeah, I fear Seattle and don't think the Angels have the division or the best record wrapped up by any means.

Calamity could strike at any time.

The Angels are in. count on it. HOW IN THE FUCK CAN THE DODGERS BE DOWN 8-0 TO COLORADO IN THE SECOND FUCKING INNING? THEY SUCK COCK. BELTWAY SERIES HERE WE COME

Hmmm, Dodgers losing and they don't have the West division locked up by any means. Still hope for the Giants....

I cannot stand the Giants even though I love their ball park. But I am mystified how the Vegas favored Dodgers, with Kemp hitting, can get whacked like this? Last night they reamed my ass for 5 parlays and two streaks. And I am not talking about my fucking skivvies. Bastard ass Mattingly. Fuck me harder you prick

I will say that I congratulate the Orioles and the Nationals for winning their division. That goes without saying that I also mean the faithful fans of both teams. You know who you are.

... and you know who I am and what team I represent. It seems that the Redbirds won the game against the Brew Crew in Saint Louie even though the Cardinals only got 3 hits in the entire game. I will take a win with only 3 hits over a loss anytime.

Now that the season is coming to an end, even though it seems that it is still a tight race for both leagues, for the Championship, who does and will predict a MLB pennant race and championship in both leagues?

I know that a lot of persons on this topic want a "Beltway" series, but I, personally, do not think that will be. I think it will be the Saint Louis Cardinals versus the Los Angeles Angels.

But, who am I too say.

May the bests teams win...

...the Los Angeles Angels.

Ugh, please don't say that. To us long-time Angel fans, it irks us. They were, are, and shall ever be the Angels of Anaheim and never Los Angeles. Arte Moreno's asinine marketing ploy of changing the team's name to the ridiculous mouthful of Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pissed a lot of people off and erased much of the goodwill he had accrued since becoming owner.

Not to throw a wet blanket on the Angels celebrating their AL West division crown...BUT the one time they won the World Series they did it as a Wild Card. The last 8 times the Angels won the division, they failed to even make it to the WS...often not even getting past the first round.

So, I'm not exactly feeling confident.

Ugh, please don't say that. To us long-time Angel fans, it irks us. They were, are, and shall ever be the Angels of Anaheim and never Los Angeles. Arte Moreno's asinine marketing ploy of changing the team's name to the ridiculous mouthful of Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pissed a lot of people off and erased much of the goodwill he had accrued since becoming owner.

Not to throw a wet blanket on the Angels celebrating their AL West division crown...BUT the one time they won the World Series they did it as a Wild Card. The last 8 times the Angels won the division, they failed to even make it to the WS...often not even getting past the first round.

So, I'm not exactly feeling confident.

Dont forget they were once the California Angels and I saw them one time live when they were indeed the California Angels. A 1-0 sleeper in Toronto. I think the Angels won. It was so long ago, a guy gave me the tickets. Had to be in the late 80's. They have a very good team as do the Orioles. I will be very surprised if that is not the ALCS. Of course Mr King Cardinal is not going to pick the team that took his Cardinals apart in Baltimore. I had picked the Orioles and Dodgers since day one. The Dodgers have been far from impressive lately. They need to wake up or they will be doomed. But they have Kershaw. And beating him is very very tough. He may only need one run. I think the Dodgers beat any wild card team or the Cardinals. The Nationals are the main competition. Do yoiu really think this st Louis team is as good as Washington? Give me a break. The only damn reason they are going to likely win is the collapse of the rest of that division,. The Pirates may be the exception and you may have to watch our for the Pirates. Beating the Angels without Manny Machado and maybe without Davis will be tough. But we can do it. We have De Aza who turned out to be a great pickup, and we have Paredes and Kellie Johnson to step in on defense if they feel better with them at some point than with Flaherty. I would go with Flaherty, Hardy, Schoop and Pearce. Outfield De Aza, Adam Jones and Nick Markakis,. Cruz as the DH. Tillman likely gets the ball in game one unless we face a predominantly left handed lineup and then Buck may consider Chen. Norris is going to pitch game 3 I would say and Gonzalez may go depending on the length of time between games. We have Delmon Young who can pinch hit and has the best nuimbers in the bigs as a pinch hitter. This team is loaded with guys that can hit it out. 199 home runs and counting. KC has over 110 fewer than the Orioles. So in the end I will pick the Orioles to win the AL pennant and the NL is a tossup between the Nationals and Dodgers The dark horse in all of this may be the Pittsburgh Pirates. I have never had alot of respect for them since the days of Roberto Clemente, who may have been one of the best players of all time, but they are only 2 1/2 back of St Louis and are the main threat now that Milwaukee has folded the tents. of course I am not over looking the SF Giants either. But to me they are so up and down. In the AL, that Detroit at KC series is huge. Especially for KC. They both get the White Sox 4 more times and the Tigers get Minnesota and the Royals get Cleveland. So the head up series looms huge especially now that KC has cut the deficit to one half game

Edited by LedZeppfan77

^^^

Yeah, I remember they were the California Angels...although in a state with FIVE!!! baseball teams, I always thought it a bit presumptuous of them to call themselves the California Angels. As if people outside Orange County would identify with the team. :rolleyes:

Random bit of trvia...my first baseball game I ever saw in person was Nolan Ryan no-hitting the Tigers at the Big A in 1973. Hey Bong-Man, were you even born then?

Do I think the Cardinals are as good as the Nationals? When it comes to the playoffs and performing under pressure...hell yes! What have the Gnats ever done in the postseason? We all know the postseason resilience St. Louis has exhibited over the years. So yeah, I'll take the Cardinals over the Nationals in a 7-game series.

Regarding what Paul posted the other day, I feel the Angels won their division despite whatever Mike Scoscia did as manager. So my vote for AL Manager of the Year would definitely go to Buck of Baltimore...or the KC guy if they get in the playoffs...over Scoscia anyday.

As for Donnie Baseball and the Dodgers, Rick, every week the Letters to the Editor in the LA Times Sports section are filled with irate Dodger fans bemoaning Don Mattingly's managerial skills. There is no faith in Mattingly as a manager from what I read and hear from Dodger fans.

^^^

Yeah, I remember they were the California Angels...although in a state with FIVE!!! baseball teams, I always thought it a bit presumptuous of them to call themselves the California Angels. As if people outside Orange County would identify with the team. :rolleyes:

Random bit of trvia...my first baseball game I ever saw in person was Nolan Ryan no-hitting the Tigers at the Big A in 1973. Hey Bong-Man, were you even born then?

Do I think the Cardinals are as good as the Nationals? When it comes to the playoffs and performing under pressure...hell yes! What have the Gnats ever done in the postseason? We all know the postseason resilience St. Louis has exhibited over the years. So yeah, I'll take the Cardinals over the Nationals in a 7-game series.

Regarding what Paul posted the other day, I feel the Angels won their division despite whatever Mike Scoscia did as manager. So my vote for AL Manager of the Year would definitely go to Buck of Baltimore...or the KC guy if they get in the playoffs...over Scoscia anyday.

As for Donnie Baseball and the Dodgers, Rick, every week the Letters to the Editor in the LA Times Sports section are filled with irate Dodger fans bemoaning Don Mattingly's managerial skills. There is no faith in Mattingly as a manager from what I read and hear from Dodger fans.

You cannot make a fair comparison between the Nationals and any NL team as they are still basically an expansion team. They have been around a very short time. So not a fair comparison. Pittsburgh is still in the race. Cant count them out in the central. But I still think Nats are best team in NL. But Dodgres have Kershaw. And Kershaw can be a difference maker if they can get their act back together. Guys like Kemp and Puig.

Poor King Felix. His damn team can't score a run against this AAA lineup the Angels put on the field while the regulars nurse hangovers from too much bubbly last night in the clincher. These dirt bags can't hit or score

Well, Seattle seemed to do all right as they won the game 3-1. I had to work late, then had a late dinner with friends, so I only just now was able to check the scores.

I'll be seeing the Angels play the Mariners next week while I'm in Seattle. The game won't mean shit but at least I'll be able to cross another ballpark off my list.

Well, Seattle seemed to do all right as they won the game 3-1. I had to work late, then had a late dinner with friends, so I only just now was able to check the scores.

I'll be seeing the Angels play the Mariners next week while I'm in Seattle. The game won't mean shit but at least I'll be able to cross another ballpark off my list.

Why do you say it wont mean shit? Baltimore is now only 2 1/2 back of you. Scosia that prick pulled his entire lineup and he fucked me by pulling Weaver. on my betting site Weaver had to start as he was listed. I got paid for a flat bet on Seattle instead of getting the full price. Does he not know the Orioles can catch them for the top record? Or do you guys want the Tigers? Unless KC can change history and beat them. I do like them tonight as verlander has not been that great.