2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Ugh, please don't say that. To us long-time Angel fans, it irks us. They were, are, and shall ever be the Angels of Anaheim and never Los Angeles. Arte Moreno's asinine marketing ploy of changing the team's name to the ridiculous mouthful of Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim pissed a lot of people off and erased much of the goodwill he had accrued since becoming owner.

I agree. L.A, Dodgers is bad enough.

I agree. L.A, Dodgers is bad enough.

News bulletin. Dateline Oakland, California. September 19, 2014.

The Oakland Raiders, citing a 1982 court victory in an antitrust case against the NFL, have officially changed their name to the Los Angeles Raiders of Oakland.

Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis invoked his father Al Davis' belief that Oakland still owned "exclusive rights to the L.A. market" as the basis for changing the team's name to reach full marketing potential. "This way, the Raiders marketing can straddle both heritages of our franchise history...the blue-collar grit and outlaw-style of Oakland and the Hollywood glamour and sheer size and media power of Los Angeles", said Mark Davis.

Still to be determined is which city the team will actually play their games in; Los Angeles or Oakland. There is speculation a split home schedule would place 4 home games in L.A. and 4 in Oakland. Another scenario has the Raiders splitting the difference and playing in Bakersfield, but Bakersfield officials have vowed to not let that happen.

Rumours have also filtered out of Oakland that the Hell's Angels are displeased at this announcement by the Raiders and are gathering en masse to stop any move by the team to L.A.

Are the Oakland A's really in trouble of falling out of the postseason altogether--they've already dropped out of the #1 Wild Card spot, and the Mariner's are nipping at their heels, but relief appears to be coming in the form of the Philadelphia Phillies, so we'll see how that goes....

How about Kansas Shitty. I would be throwing tomatoes in the dugout if I was there. What a disgrace.

How about Kansas Shitty. I would be throwing tomatoes in the dugout if I was there. What a disgrace.

Made for a very relaxing evening, thanks. We've already done what we had to do...just take one. KC plays 7 on the road after this series, and we have our last 7 at home. Anything can happen, but I like our chances.

I keep waiting for someone to bitch about Miggy's socializing at first base. He's got his hands all over everybody, pulling on their uniform, shoving runners off the base. Last night he kept turning around to block the runner's view of home plate. He's also hitting almost .500 in September....I like !

Ned Yostradamus sure makes some strange strategy calls for KC. Just about every one in the last two series has backfired and killed a rally. Verlander was struggling with his control, and he's got people swinging at 3-0 counts with 2 men on and nobody out.....dumbass.

Well, the Dodgers have clinched a playoff spot and the division race appears to be pretty much over--up 3.5 with 8 games left. Sorry redrum, but at least you still have the Wild Card.

Going into the playoffs, the Dodgers look to be pretty formidable, with Kershaw and Greinke at the top of that rotation. Good luck to whoever has to face them in the NLDS....

Made for a very relaxing evening, thanks. We've already done what we had to do...just take one. KC plays 7 on the road after this series, and we have our last 7 at home. Anything can happen, but I like our chances.

I keep waiting for someone to bitch about Miggy's socializing at first base. He's got his hands all over everybody, pulling on their uniform, shoving runners off the base. Last night he kept turning around to block the runner's view of home plate. He's also hitting almost .500 in September....I like !

Ned Yostradamus sure makes some strange strategy calls for KC. Just about every one in the last two series has backfired and killed a rally. Verlander was struggling with his control, and he's got people swinging at 3-0 counts with 2 men on and nobody out.....dumbass.

Things wont be quite as easy if you play the Orioles. And I think the Nationals are playing better than the Dodgers. On nights when Kershaw pitches they may be unbeatable. But Kershaw cannot win it all by himself. Someone else has to win a game. And that will not be easy the way they have played. Layed down like dogs against Colorado. I really am believing even KC may beat out Oakland for that wild card. Oakland has fallen apart. One romp over KC does not mean they are done but they do have trouble beating Detroit. I am guessing verlander went deep? Because once you have to put your bullpen in the game Bongman, your team is then on thin ice. Your bullpen is the worst of any of the conttenders. And that is why I like the O's to beat you if we happen to meet. But that is far from certain as the Angels do not have the best record locked up by any means. If Baltimore has the best record it changes the matchups. Then we would likely get the winner of the one off and I believe that will be Seattle

Things wont be quite as easy if you play the Orioles. And I think the Nationals are playing better than the Dodgers. On nights when Kershaw pitches they may be unbeatable. But Kershaw cannot win it all by himself. Someone else has to win a game. And that will not be easy the way they have played. Layed down like dogs against Colorado. I really am believing even KC may beat out Oakland for that wild card. Oakland has fallen apart. One romp over KC does not mean they are done but they do have trouble beating Detroit. I am guessing verlander went deep? Because once you have to put your bullpen in the game Bongman, your team is then on thin ice. Your bullpen is the worst of any of the conttenders. And that is why I like the O's to beat you if we happen to meet. But that is far from certain as the Angels do not have the best record locked up by any means. If Baltimore has the best record it changes the matchups. Then we would likely get the winner of the one off and I believe that will be Seattle

I certainly wish your Orioles no ill will, but history suggests anything can happen in the playoffs. Regular season finishes are never a prediction of what's to come. Usually the team that gets on a hot streak does well, and that could end up being anybody. As far as our bullpen, if we get 7 innings out of our starters, I think things will take care of themselves. I'm more worried about our inconsistant hitting beyond the 3 thru 5 spots, our two rookies, and the health of our catcher Avila, who has played quite well lately. Never saw a catcher take so many head shots.

Bong-Man was talking about Ned Yost & his managerial maneuvers earlier--I'm guessing they will be called into question again today if KC loses. Bottom of the 1st, man on 2nd base, no outs--your number 2 hitter who's 13 for his last 16 comes up to the plate & Yost has him bunt--Royals don't score.

Bottom of the 3rd--Royals have 2 in scoring position with 0 out & the #2 hitter comes up again & Yost has him bunting again!!! And of course, Scherzer gets out of the jam giving up 0 runs.

I'm not pulling for any particular team in this series--but this certainly seems like some shaky managing by Ned...

Bong-Man was talking about Ned Yost & his managerial maneuvers earlier--I'm guessing they will be called into question again today if KC loses. Bottom of the 1st, man on 2nd base, no outs--your number 2 hitter who's 13 for his last 16 comes up to the plate & Yost has him bunt--Royals don't score.

Bottom of the 3rd--Royals have 2 in scoring position with 0 out & the #2 hitter comes up again & Yost has him bunting again!!! And of course, Scherzer gets out of the jam giving up 0 runs.

I'm not pulling for any particular team in this series--but this certainly seems like some shaky managing by Ned...

Live by the book. Die by the book.

Well right now Oakland looks like they may be finished. If they are not finished now they will be one and done. But I dont think they make it. They are about to fall a half a game behind KC even though KC lost both to Detroit. Amazing. Oakland is in big big trouble. I am not scared of the Tigers Bonger. I am not saying they dont have a chance, but if you are going to beat the O's you wont do it 3-2. No way. We will kill your bullpen. Joba Chamberlain we know from his days as a Yankee and you guys were desperate enough to sign JJ. First things first though. Trying to beat the Angels out. Texas all of a sudden has been like their old selves. Bad news for the Angels. Mariners laying an egg vs those pesky Houston Astros

The Saint Louis Cardinals are on the cusp (or verge) of making it to the MLB Post-Season for the 4th year in a row. They won the 2011 World Series in dramatic fashion against the Texas Rangers in 2011. The Cardinals made it to the Big Show last year (2013) ultimately losing to the Boston Red Sox.

Kinda to brag, but not inflame or humiliate the other teams and their fans, but how many other baseball teams can claim the same? The only other team that can even beat the recent Cardinals record(s) (in the Post-Season are the NYY) and they are already done for this season.

Baltimore, Los Angeles (D and A), Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Washington, Kansas City, Detroit, Toronto, Oakland? As far as I know most of these teams have not or been not a real Force to be reckoned with in the past, say, 5 to 10 years. If even that. The only team that I did not just mention was the San Francisco Giants because they defeated the Cardinals in the 2012 NLCS.

Regardless of whoever reads this post, and happen to think that this is the year for Their team to make it to and win the 2014 World Series, you have to give the Saint Louis Cardinals Proper Credit when it comes down to National League teams that are always competitive and consistent year after year and that Team is the St.L Cardinals.

Just watch and witness the Cardinals in this years Post-Season.

If anyone are non-believers in the Power and Consistency of the Saint Louis Cardinals, I say just watch this clip and be prepared to be dazzled, even if you hate the Cardinals, again, I say, This Team is very Impressive and very resilient.

Edited by kingzoso

Off to the last regular season home game. It's a lovely day!

Not a great day here. Overcast, damp. The Bills host San Diego. Hope the O's win , I will be flipping as the Bills are on at same time and of course its a bit more important for the Bills to win today. I just hope Buck has his lineup set and his pitching staff set for the playoffs. I wonder who he is most confident in as far as the starters. The bullpen is really our strength on the pitching end of things. But we can hit the ball through all 9 positions better than anyone. I am getting sick of these lame St Louis posts from the King. No way is St Louis the best team this year. We did a good job on them. If you make it to the Series i will be shocked. We have a very tough Angels team to deal with and Detroit has alot of experience. You have a bullshit division. You do not have to play the quality of teams we play every year. Comparing Miwaukee, the Pirates and Cubs to the Yankees and Red Sox and Tampa is a joke. If you were in our division you would not be going to the playoffs. I assure you of that. And some of your past success was tainted with that steroid junkie McGuire. So much for his HR record and that big night when he fucking fooled an entire nation. What a disgrace. Well we will see what happens. As for our team, sure I would feel way better if we had Manny Machado. But we still have a shot.

Rick,we share some history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Duquette

Well he has done one hell of a job here. Red Sox got one in first. Not sure how. Maybe big poppy. Your only real weapon right now. At least taht I recognize. they have a lineup of guys I never heard of. O's should do a number on this pitcher

Rick,Dan-O was the GM of the Res Sux's,he was out-of-baseball(Pro) for ten years.He ran a camp for kids in Maine .Did "Damn Yankee's" theater(semi-pro) So,I root for the Baltimore O's in the playoffs.

Well good to know I think. If you don't jinx us. Markakis and Pearce both out with minor aches and pains. Of course he has to have everyone ready to go. But I would like to catch the Angels. I think the A's are done. I do not think they are even going to get in. They are just playing like shit.

Well good to know I think. If you don't jinx us. Markakis and Pearce both out with minor aches and pains. Of course he has to have everyone ready to go. But I would like to catch the Angels. I think the A's are done. I do not think they are even going to get in. They are just playing like shit.

Jinx? Like the piano?

Okay, I will try and promise that I will not post anymore more "bragging" about the Saint Louis Cardinals and Their Illustrious past (meaning the past going back to the year 2000 - after Mark McGuire). It seems to spur anger and resentment in some people who actually read what I post. Why? I have no idea. Some people who post on this baseball topic seem to go into very minute and micro-analyze every facet of the past, current and future game(s). I may not read all that, however, I do not criticize anyone for it. It is what it is, I suppose.

However, I will post a quote from My homepage which is Yahoo. This is from Yahoo Sports (dated 9/21/2014):

"Making the playoffs this season means Mike Matheny has taken his team to the postseason now in each of his first three seasons at the helm, after taking over for the retiring Tony La Russa. Overall, the Cardinals have been to the postseason 11 of the last 15 seasons. They've also played in two of the last three World Series, winning it all in 2011".

If that is not considered "consistent", "impressive" "worthy of Respect", etc... for a professional baseball team that you even possibly "Hate", I feel that you (and that means anyone who follows baseball year after year), seem to be a possibly close or narrow-minded person that is too stubborn to appreciate other teams that have done well in the past-past and recent-past. That is just MY OPINION.

LONG LIVE THE SAINT LOUIS CARDINALS!!!

Edited to add: Most of you who reads this and cares to reply or not, you know who you are. Your team may have a better winning record this year over the Redbirds, but, like the quote itself says, the Cardinals have been in the Post-Season 11 of the last 15 years. Can the same be said of the Orioles, Angels, Athletics, Royals, Tigers, Rangers, Nationals, Pirates, Brewers, Dodgers, etc... or for that matter and the Record of any Team in Major League Baseball?

If I happen to be incorrect about this, someone please set Me straight and provide proof positive information. I look forward to this proof because I could be wrong Myself.

Name another Baseball Team that has made it to the Post-Season 11 times in the past 15 years besides the Mighty St. Louis Cardinals.

Anyone???

Have the Baltimore Orioles been in the Baseball Post-Season 11 times in the past 15 years? The last time the Orioles made a play for the World Series was back in 2012 when Baltimore lost to the NYY.

Before that it was WAY BACK in the year 1997 when they again lost, to the Cleveland Indians. This is fact, not speculation or conjecture. Look it up or try and remember back 17 years.

Do you get MY point? The Saint Louis Cardinals have made the Post-Season 11 times in 15 seasons/years. Your team has made it to the post-season 3 times in 18 years.

Call Me whatever names and whatever makes you feel better, but the Orioles are a "one hit wonder" this year and for years to come.

The Saint Louis Cardinals are Like LED ZEPPELIN. BOTH OF THESE POWERFULL ENTITIES WILL FOREVER STAND THE TEST OF TIME.

Edited by kingzoso

I am not going to read the long winded propoganda machine above that resembles something from Nazi Germany. Your boy Wainright might win his 20th and I commend him. Your Cards are overated. And you will see why in the playoffs

OMG now he is comparing the Cardinals to Led Zeppelin. That is going way too far. you really think they are comparable?

As for the Orioles they have a pretty proud history and they do not play in a dick division like your team. We kicked the shit out of you a month ago. Baltimore is far better than ST Louis. What a joke. AL East is far better than your NL Central

Edited by LedZeppfan77