2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

A classic performance by Verlander. He goes 8 innings while throwing 94-97 mph for the first time this year. You could just see it in his eyes that there was no way he was going to lose to Sale. I can put my binoculars away for another year. :ph34r:

Because beating the big bad White Sox is such an achievement. You will need the binoculars to see where the ball lands when Cruz and Jones put a few out near Boog Powell's restaurant. KC is not done yet. Sure today you should win against May. KC must hold serve until tomorrow. Seattle is a huge mystery to me. . I have to see if they are finished? Likely. Beating Oakland in that one off is almost a given,. No matter who plays them. Its just a matter of who you fear more, Baltimore or Anaheim?

Damn is that Kershaw something or what. And now Puig is hot. Yikes

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Because beating the big bad White Sox is such an achievement. You will need the binoculars to see where the ball lands when Cruz and Jones put a few out near Boog Powell's restaurant. KC is not done yet. Sure today you should win against May. KC must hold serve until tomorrow. Seattle is a huge mystery to me. . I have to see if they are finished? Likely. Beating Oakland in that one off is almost a given,. No matter who plays them. Its just a matter of who you fear more, Baltimore or Anaheim?

Damn is that Kershaw something or what. And now Puig is hot. Yikes

BUMP

I'll just be glad when the postseason finally gets here--regardless of who gets in. 5 more days I believe... btw, I think the Mariners are toast. If you can't beat the Blue Jays you don't deserve to get into the tournament, imo....

Lind could not hit a beach ball before this series and all of a sudden he is hot. I wanted to see Seattle make it. I do feel bad for them. They need a couple of more bats to help Cano. The pitching is good enough

Yeah, I was rooting for the Mariners too, but after this series in Toronto, I just don't see how they can make it. Btw, given how Felix got bombed the other night, has Max Scherzer overtaken him for the Cy Young award. I know there are many who are mentioning Chris Sale's name in the Cy Young conversation as well--but without looking at the stats, I believe Scherzer has the edge as far as record--not sure if he has more strikeouts than Sale, I'll have to look.

At any rate, it will be an interesting vote this offseason.

And I don't care who does it, whether it's the Dodgers or maybe the winner of the Pirates/Giants wild card game, but somebody please, Beat the DAMN Cardinals--no offense intended towards kingzoso. It's just that the Cards have been there so many times--I feel like it's New England Patriots syndrome with St. Louis....

Yeah, I was rooting for the Mariners too, but after this series in Toronto, I just don't see how they can make it. Btw, given how Felix got bombed the other night, has Max Scherzer overtaken him for the Cy Young award. I know there are many who are mentioning Chris Sale's name in the Cy Young conversation as well--but without looking at the stats, I believe Scherzer has the edge as far as record--not sure if he has more strikeouts than Sale, I'll have to look.

At any rate, it will be an interesting vote this offseason.

And I don't care who does it, whether it's the Dodgers or maybe the winner of the Pirates/Giants wild card game, but somebody please, Beat the DAMN Cardinals--no offense intended towards kingzoso. It's just that the Cards have been there so many times--I feel like it's New England Patriots syndrome with St. Louis....

Worry not. They cant beat the Dodgers or Nationals. and certainly not both. The Cubs beat them last two night. those Cubs who will be a team to be dealt with next year.

I'd ask for a shovel but I think a large backhoe might be more appropriate at this point.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE Bong-Man!!!!

Angels and the O's have dropped 2 straight and with only about 6 or 7 games left, I'm guessing the O's won't catch the Angels for the best record. Not sure yet what that means as far as postseason matchups--who will be facing who in the first round and all of that. I'm guessing Rick would want the winner of the one game playoff, whoever that may be--do I assume correctly?

It means neither the Angels or the Orioles seem to care about getting the best record...not above resting and maintaining the health of their players, at least. If the seeding holds and Angles finish #1 and Baltimore #2, then I believe the Angels would face the Wild Card game winner and the Orioles would face the Central Division Champs.

I might have to start drinking again if this keeps up. Thank-you Miggy !

I hope you're right Strider. There's nothing a Tiger fan hates more than 10:30pm start times.

No respect for the Orioles I see.

So anyway, a question to Oriole fans and non also, especially Paul and Strider (those that are not out to see us fail)

Projected lineup? What will Buck do? Not in batting order

Pitcher for game one Chris Tillman (already announced)

Catcher Hundley (never thought I would take him over Joseph but Caleb is just plain in a huge slump and Hundley is hitting)

1st base Pearce or Flaherty?

2nd base Jonathan Schoop ( no debate here)

3rd base Pearce, or Flaherty, or Kellie Johnson or Palades ( the toughest decision)

SS JJ HARDY (no debate)

LF De Aza

CF Adam Jones (no debate)

RF Nick Markakis (no debate)

DH Nelson Cruz (no debate)

I am for playing Flaherty and Pearce for sure. The only question is 1st or 3rd.? Delmon Young would be the first guy off the bench to pinch hit.

After Tillman I go either Gonzalez or Chen depending on opponent and number of left handed batters vs right? Then Norris. But I might be tempted to give Norris the edge over Gonzalez? Chen has earned his shot. Not worried about the pen.

I am leaning toward Flaherty at 3rd and Pearce at 1st. If we get to the ALCS, I write Chris Davis into the 25 man roster.

Its a shame but Caleb Joseph as great as he has been all year, is playing himself out of the lineup for playoffs. No way Buck can risk it

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Well I do not mind losing that one to Jeter like that. We have nothing to be ashamed of. And I do think it was a gift wrapped pitch. The O's stuck around to hear the speech. and he knows Buck very well. He wished the Orioles the best but of course the classless fucks that the Yankee fans are did not react any different than expected. I cant stand their fans. Jeter, I like. Always will. Only Yankees I do not hate, Jeter, Ruth, Munson, Mantle, Gehrig, Selkirk (my cousin), Ford, DiMaggio, and the managers Torre and Girardi. And maybe a few others. The fans, hate em

Worry not. They cant beat the Dodgers or Nationals. and certainly not both. The Cubs beat them last two night. those Cubs who will be a team to be dealt with next year.

Not to be argumentative or anything but I do not see how you can be so nonchalant and certain that the Saint Louis Cardinals "cant beat" the Dodgers or the Nationals. Regardless of what you may think and believe, the Cardinals are always a force to be reckoned with when it comes to the playoffs. They may not always win but I think you are wrong to just dismiss them off as a team that has no shot at going to and winning the World Series (again 2011 and not again 2013).

Just look at and compare these Post-Season stats between the Cardinals and the Orioles over the recent years:

The Saint Louis Cardinals:

2013 World Series Boston Red Sox Lost, 4-2

NL Championship Series Los Angeles Dodgers Won, 4-2

NL Division Series Pittsburgh Pirates Won, 3-2

2012 NL Championship Series San Francisco Giants Lost, 4-3

NL Division Series Washington Nationals Won, 3-2

NL Wild Card Atlanta Braves Won, 1-0

2011 World Series Texas Rangers Won, 4-3

NL Championship Series Milwaukee Brewers Won, 4-2

NL Division Series Philadelphia Phillies Won, 3-2

2009 NL Division Series Los Angeles Dodgers Lost, 3-0

2006 World Series Detroit Tigers Won, 4-1

NL Championship Series New York Mets Won, 4-3

NL Division Series San Diego Padres Won, 3-1

2005 NL Championship Series Houston Astros Lost, 4-2

NL Division Series San Diego Padres Won, 3-0

2004 World Series Boston Red Sox Lost, 4-0

NL Championship Series Houston Astros Won, 4-3

NL Division Series Los Angeles Dodgers Won, 3-1

2002 NL Championship Series San Francisco Giants Lost, 4-1

NL Division Series Arizona Diamondbacks Won, 3-0

2001 NL Division Series Arizona Diamondbacks Lost, 3-2

2000 NL Championship Series New York Mets Lost, 4-1

NL Division Series Atlanta Braves Won, 3-0

1996 NL Championship Series Atlanta Braves Lost, 4-3

NL Division Series San Diego Padres Won, 3-0 (1996-2014. 11 years/seasons out of 15 years/seasons WITH a Post-Season Appearance).

The Baltimore Orioles in that same time span:

2012 AL Wild Card Texas Rangers Won, 1-0

AL Division Series New York Yankees Lost, 3-2

1997 AL Championship Series Cleveland Indians Lost, 4-2 (1997-2012. 15 years/seasons WITHOUT a Post-Season Appearance).

AL Division Series Seattle Mariners Won, 3-1

1996 AL Championship Series New York Yankees Lost, 4-1

AL Division Series Cleveland Indians Won, 3-1. (Source: MLB.com)

I would say that this is actual proof and statistics that show that the Cardinals are the more Dominant team over the Orioles when it comes down to Post-Season experience. Am I wrong or are these statistics actually incorrect and somehow misleading?

So, again, I say that it is a big mistake to rule out a team for personal reasons or because you hate them because I keep praising the accomplishments (both winning and losing) of the team that I Love.

Again, I am not trying to aggravate or upset you in any way. I know that you take seriously what you believe in and so do I. I just really try not to let these things bother me or have reason to disparage and/or denigrate a fellow American, Baseball and Led Zeppelin fan over a game that I have no vested interests in. Just Passion and Loyalty.

That is what a Great Baseball Teams does: They give it Their all year after year and if you are that good They make it to the Post-Season 11 times in the past 15 years and not 3 times in 17 years.

Spin it anyway you want, however, facts are facts. I just provided you the facts about the Saint Louis Cardinals and the Baltimore Orioles. So your team beat MY team 2 games out of 3 a month or so ago. Big Deal. Look and re-read what I just posted about the Playoff scenarios of both teams. If the Orioles win this years World Series and then continues to be a big factor in the Playoffs for the next 10 years then I might reconsider MY thoughts. I know that the Cardinals will always be a World Series Caliber team long after I am dead (and I am in Good Health and only 43 years old). I may live to see the St.L Cardinals win at least 5 more World Series before you see the Orioles win 1. Until then, I still think that the Orioles have not and will never be in the same League as the Saint Louis Cardinals. One good year by the Orioles does not even come close to them being a Dynasty of the likes of St. Louis Cardinals.

I cannot wait to read your justifications of these Pure Facts I just displayed for you and all the others who read this. I will say that if you choose to say negative/disparaging/ignorant etc.. comments or remarks towards Me, I will read them but I will not comment upon them until I see fit.

... and I could care less about Clayton Kershaw and any other player that you think that could defeat the Saint Louis Cardinals. 11/15 or 3/17. Who has the better and more Historical chance of going to and winning the 2014 World Series?

Edited by kingzoso

Well Mr Kingzoso, I am sure you posted and ran. You do not stick around to see what anyone else has to say. Why don't you talk about this year? You always have to go back and talk history. Let talk about the now and the present. The Orioles are far better than St Louis. Proved it head up and go see the stats. Do want to do a comparison on that? Like your long winded post above, about a team that has been around 50 years more than the Orioles. We had over 200 home runs, 3 straight years in fact. Nobody is even close. Our ERA is top 3 in baseball. Our defense is number one in baseball. We have 5 gold glovers. Your team does not have shit comapred to Baltimore, the Dodgers or the Nationals or Angels. Do you think you will beat Kershaw? Ok. I want to see Puig smash your pitching staff. I am not saying you were not the best in your division this year. But enjoy it. the Cubs are coming on. They are a team that will win that division very soon. And I say next year soon. We have 3 big stars out of the lineup and are still kicking ass. Davis, Wieters and Machado. Wieters and Machado unfortunately will miss the post season. I hope their absense does not do us in. They are the very best at their positions in baseball. Hands down.

2 more days left to go in the season--Royals have clinched a postseason birth. Good for them--that fanbase has been starving for years & now they get to enjoy some Late September/Early October baseball. The AL Central still to be decided, although I think Detroit has it in the bag....

Why do you think they have it in the bag? KC can beat the White Sox and the Twins can hit when they are on. 1 game is nothing. A playoff is possible. A one game for the division playoff. And if it happens you can bet Shields will pitch.

All this Jeter hoopla is good but lets also give Paul Konerko some respect too. He had a great career and he too is leaving the game. He was a great power hitter who let the White Sox to a World Series victory to finally put the 1919 Black Sox to rest.

^^ I just think experience counts for something. Detroit has done this dance seemingly every year, dicking around until the final month or weeks to wrap up the division. I believe that experience factor will come through again for Detroit--maybe I'm wrong & there will be a playoff. That wouldn't be bad either, unless of course you're a Tigers fan....

^^ I just think experience counts for something. Detroit has done this dance seemingly every year, dicking around until the final month or weeks to wrap up the division. I believe that experience factor will come through again for Detroit--maybe I'm wrong & there will be a playoff. That wouldn't be bad either, unless of course you're a Tigers fan....

So you must also think experience will do us in in the first round? Do not forget, the Orioles were in the playoffs two years ago and do have some experience. KC has on big edge over the Tigers. Their bullpen. The Tigers have no bullpen. Its the worst of all the teams in the playffs easily. Yes Cabrera and Victor Martinez are hitting. But they are not the only ones. The O's have 9 deep in their lineup that can kill you with a swing. Not too many teams can say that. Over 200 HR's 3 St years. I am not counting KC out of that race. If Minnesota gets to their bullpen, they might put up double digits today. Forget not that they are not going with one of their big names today. The Twins are loose and could very well get to them. St Louis held on by the skin of their teeth to keep Pittsburgh from tying them. Pittsburgh will give it a try. I just have a feeling between the two battles in the AL and NL central, we may see one divisional playoff game at least. If they finish tied I believe they play one game to decide the division and then the loser plays the one off wild card game. Imagine having to play two elimination games in a row

Situational baseball, like the playoffs are, really exposes a thin bench/soft bullpen! :yesnod:

Well Baltimore has neither a thin bench or soft bullpen. So Bonger, if you read this, what are the papers and news stations in Detroit saying? Do they figure playing Baltimore or Anaheim is about the same? Do they prefer to play one over the other? I know they would probably never admit to it as sports teams never do, but is your manager taking these games seriously? I mean, I am sure he does not want to play a one off. So I guess you guys have your starters going every day. We have rested alot of guys in series. Buck has Casila up from Norfolk at 3rd and it is not going to take an expert to know this kid has no shot of playing in the post season. One that Toronto hit by him and it turned into a run, Flaherty would have had the ball for sure. So too any of the other 3 available. I sure wish Machado was out there. And Wieters and Davis. Hundley is going to get the catching position I am sure. This horrible slump Joseph is in was untimely. It was a toss up between them but no more. The only edge I think Joseph had was catching those trying to steal second. But its not worth the price of his absence at the plate. Baltimore will play simulated games on Tues and Wed to stay sharp.

Matt Wieters is in Detroit. Are they talking to him? Did you give him a seat in the press box or stick him out in the bleachers with some cracker jacks? KC is right there and with the exception of Sale, who I believe is done for the year, I consider the Twins to be the tougher opponent. Not by much though. These fucking Blue Jays are a head ache. We have AAA players out there and they are playing this like its game 7 of the world series. Take your sorry ass's home

SO BONGER, ANY NEWS OUT OF MOTOWN?

Walker and Casila need to be put on the next bus to Norfolk or Bowie. Hope they enjoyed the experience. I did not enjoy the two runs they gave up on errors

Edited by LedZeppfan77

Tigers getting their ass's pounded by the Twins right now 8-2. But the bad news is KC is not taking advantage and is down 4-1. But they are in reach. How can you be getting beat like this by these bottom feeders when you are fighting for the division? And before you try and say the Orioles lost today, they really did not. They had AAA Norfolk players in at key positions that BLEW THE GAME. Casila and Walker need to be put on a fucking broken down Trailways bus with umpteen stops on the way to Bowie. God I hope Buck has the sense to NEVER let them play again this year. Even Kellie Johnson or Paredes would be a better choice. But I am sure he has the infield set and its has to be Flaherty, Hardy, Schoop and Pearce.