2014 Baseball Thread

jb126

Something tells me the Blue Jays are going to be where they always are, at the bottom or close to it in the AL East. In the West, I still like Oakland and Texas at the top of that division & it seems like very year I'm expecting the final nail in Mike Scioscia's coffin, but it never comes. If the Angels underachieve again this year, how do you not fire that guy?

As for the National League, I think it's as wide open as any year. Will the Nationals bounce back from a disappointing 2013?

Something tells me the Blue Jays are going to be where they always are, at the bottom or close to it in the AL East. In the West, I still like Oakland and Texas at the top of that division & it seems like very year I'm expecting the final nail in Mike Scioscia's coffin, but it never comes. If the Angels underachieve again this year, how do you not fire that guy?

As for the National League, I think it's as wide open as any year. Will the Nationals bounce back from a disappointing 2013?

Is Davey Johnson still the manager? If so they should bounce back. The Dodgers should be tough. Maybe Arizona too. I will go out on a limb an say my dark horse team is Seattle in the AL West. Do not forget our contest. I may be laid up in March. Will be. I may need help getting it going. Lets go with picking a team in each division. A point for every win. And then we pick the playoff teams and all the way to series and lets say 5 pts per playoff win and 25 for getting to the series and 50 for winning it? If you have a better idea, please post. What do you think Paul, Strider, Jabe, and the rest of you?

Maybe we could ask the mods permission to pin the thread during the season?

Is Davey Johnson still the manager? If so they should bounce back. The Dodgers should be tough. Maybe Arizona too. I will go out on a limb an say my dark horse team is Seattle in the AL West. Do not forget our contest. I may be laid up in March. Will be. I may need help getting it going. Lets go with picking a team in each division. A point for every win. And then we pick the playoff teams and all the way to series and lets say 5 pts per playoff win and 25 for getting to the series and 50 for winning it? If you have a better idea, please post. What do you think Paul, Strider, Jabe, and the rest of you?

Davey Johnson retired after last season.

The Nationals new manager: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/matt-williams-washington-nationals-new-manager-is-introduced-at-news-conference/2013/11/01/c57d0742-4337-11e3-a751-f032898f2dbc_story.html

I like your ideas for the contest Rick. I don't know if I can offer any suggestions to improve it. What you laid out seems on the money & I'm sure once we get closer to the regular season we will have some participants....

Davey Johnson retired after last season.

The Nationals new manager: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/matt-williams-washington-nationals-new-manager-is-introduced-at-news-conference/2013/11/01/c57d0742-4337-11e3-a751-f032898f2dbc_story.html

I like your ideas for the contest Rick. I don't know if I can offer any suggestions to improve it. What you laid out seems on the money & I'm sure once we get closer to the regular season we will have some participants....

Thanks Paul. We need to get some more input. Maybe Jabe has some ideas? All aboard

Let the Farewell Tour begin. Love or hate the Yankees, there's no denying Derek Jeter was a great player and worthy of respect. First Mariano Rivera, now Derek Jeter...the last links to the Joe Torre championship era are disappearing.

At least Ass-Rod won't be around to spoil Jeter's last season.

Let the Farewell Tour begin. Love or hate the Yankees, there's no denying Derek Jeter was a great player and worthy of respect. First Mariano Rivera, now Derek Jeter...the last links to the Joe Torre championship era are disappearing.

Jeter was and is a class act all the way!Met him once good guy. I think Fenway/Red Sox will give him a fond farwell as will the Yankees and the rest of baseball.

Ok, fine and dandy. But lets not get carried away and distracted over one guy. There have been many great players that have come and gone. Give him an ovation the last time he plays in your venue if you want and that is sufficient. Die Yankees!!!!!

In my opinion, McGwire's 62nd home run and the hoopla that followed involving the Maris family is one of the worst moments in the history of baseball. Disgusting that he knew he had cheated to get that record and to have Roger's family their paying homage to him when Maris did it the right way, in the face of death threats - with his hair falling out while chasing Ruth - and then to lose him the way they did to cancer.....Mark McGwire is a piece of sh!t!

Off soapbox now,,,,,

The tainted home run chase; whether it be McGwire or Sosa or Barry Bonds, it's all a black eye on the sport of baseball. Bud Selig likes to stick his chest out about how MLB has the most rigorous drug testing policy of the 4 major sports but seems to forget that is was under his watch that the sport became as tainted as it did. Of course, everyone seemed to turn a blind eye to it during that summer of '98 when McGwire and Sosa were reviving the game of baseball.

I was one like many who were tuning in to see history made. Knowing what we know now though & seeing how many of the roid users involved try to hide from it or forget how to speak English, it definitely makes you appreciate guys like Maris and Hank Aaron even more.

The tainted home run chase; whether it be McGwire or Sosa or Barry Bonds, it's all a black eye on the sport of baseball. Bud Selig likes to stick his chest out about how MLB has the most rigorous drug testing policy of the 4 major sports but seems to forget that is was under his watch that the sport became as tainted as it did. Of course, everyone seemed to turn a blind eye to it during that summer of '98 when McGwire and Sosa were reviving the game of baseball.

I was one like many who were tuning in to see history made. Knowing what we know now though & seeing how many of the roid users involved try to hide from it or forget how to speak English, it definitely makes you appreciate guys like Maris and Hank Aaron even more.

And Roberto Clemente. Agree with Walter about McGuire. He looked like a body builder more than a baseball player. And we probably do not know how many are out there that were not caught.

I bought into it too, Paul, at the time. Like I said, HE knew what he was doing and still had the Maris family out there honoring his accomplishment....that's what so shameful and unforgivable. Roger Maris was a salt of the Earth kinda guy. Family man, didn't run around with women and get drunk like Mantle, etc. Yet he was and still is treated like a second class player. His stats were fantastic for the length of time he played and with multiple teams, so you can't just chalk it up to playing with a good Yankees team. He should have been put into the Hall, without doubt, after all this steroid crap came to light. He was a close friend to Mrs. Walter's family and she knew him growing up - that is one reason I'm so passionate about this. I grew up a Yankees fan and could never understand why the old school fans never accepted him - and I still don't. A man of his character and talent should be applauded and honored.

This will happen again this coming October:

Maybe with different players but with the same World-Class Saint Louis Cardinals Organization.

Mark My Words. The StL. Cardinals are going to win the 2014 World Series. Remember this post in 10.5 months from now.

Edited to add this:

How much money have you laid down on them to win it all?

To be honest, I am not really a gambling man. So, to answer your question, I have laid no money down on them to win the 2014 World Series.

I just have a lot of Faith and Confidence in the Saint Louis Cardinals (and always will). They are one of (if not) the most Consistent of all the teams in all of Major League Baseball. By consistent I mean that they usually never have a bad year or a losing season, even if They do not make it to the World Series.

To be honest, I am not really a gambling man. So, to answer your question, I have laid no money down on them to win the 2014 World Series.

I just have a lot of Faith and Confidence in the Saint Louis Cardinals (and always will). They are one of (if not) the most Consistent of all the teams in all of Major League Baseball. By consistent I mean that they usually never have a bad year or a losing season, even if They do not make it to the World Series.

They are a good team on most years but they are in brutal division also. Some teams in that division have just beat themselves year in and out like the Cubs. Weak division. . Its not the AL East.

Archived